Just rewatched Jones-Cormier

Jones nuthugger checking in, the fight was there for the taking for Cormier if he wanted it bad enough. He really needs to get off the cage though, its just the visual of Jones pushing him up against the cage over and over again. Get off the cage and it's a much tougher fight to judge. I had Jones easily 49-46 but if DC could have gotten off the cage more often and not get bullied there it could have gone either way.

Thanks for the honest assessment.

I thought he controlled every round of the fight except round 2, when cormier had a bit of success with Dirty boxing/breaking from the clinch and throwing uppercuts.

I'm just saying the champion might get bias in his favor in the eyes of some judges.

Also, 10-10 rounds are really rare.

I thought rnd 5 was a clear 10-10.

I don't believe I've ever seen a 10-10 round, including boxing

How often are those given out? If it were up to me I'd change the way scoring is done, but people who score rounds 10-10 frequently or frequently score 10-8 don't score the fights like the judges do, even if it is more fair.

Cormier was outstruck, had less control in the clinch, and his sole TD had not even one second of control. This was in a pretty uneventful round too.

He got into a battle of pride and was determined to get a TD when he needed a strong round or finish, got the TD briefly in the last min. and did nothing more.

I thought rounds 1, 4, and 5 were pretty clear and rounds 2 & 3 close. I had it 49-46 giving Cormier the 2nd. Alot of people had round 1 as close but I think the body shots went undervalued esp. when you hear Cormier speak on their effect, he closed out the round fairly well but not enough to steal it imo. The fight was def. competitive.

Knees, body kicks, hooks. Jones attack on DC's body was varied. I don't see how he can avoid the body knees with the gameplan he needs to win.

You could tell they were hurting DC as well, some of his reactions reminded me of King Hippo.

Was a very close fight.

Jones attitude in the post fight had everyone imagining it was a domination.

I had it 4-1 for Jones with round 3 being close enough to go either way.

I scored it the same except I thought the slam tipped the balance of round 5 to Cormier.

I never do 10-10 rounds and I don't think any round in this fight warrants it. I scored it Jones 1, 4, 5 and my opinion didn't change upon rewatching it.

? how so ? i think jones looked better in his last 2 fights then hes ever looked in his career

Jones has definitely shown his evolution. He is now comfortable (to say the least) fighting in the pocket, while before the Glover fight he avoided close quarters battle at all cost. His boxing has improved a lot, he finally has head movement now (which prevented him from getting tagged cleanly in his last two fights), his clinch game has to be the best in MMA, he throws an even wider variety of kicks now (not that this really affected the fights).

I have not watched it yet but dc said he lost so it is what it is.

Jones won every round except the 2nd

you cant just say that willy nilly. No way he did enough to win rnd 3 or even 5 really. too many people are saying it for the sake of it. Does holding someone against a cage an entire round give you a round? not sure how judges apply that.

Back