Just rewatched Jones-Cormier

you cant just say that willy nilly. No way he did enough to win rnd 3 or even 5 really. too many people are saying it for the sake of it. Does holding someone against a cage an entire round give you a round? not sure how judges apply that.

Are you trolling?

I guess Cormier drew with Frank Mir then

you cant just say that willy nilly. No way he did enough to win rnd 3 or even 5 really. too many people are saying it for the sake of it. Does holding someone against a cage an entire round give you a round? not sure how judges apply that.

Yes, octagon control.

Are you trolling?

I guess Cormier drew with Frank Mir then

pretty sure cormier did good inside work against Mir. In rnd 5 Jones did no inside work they basically just held each other.

Jones outstruck Cormier and had ring control. Other than the slam Cormier landed 4 punches in round 5. Jones landed 14 or 15 and had ring control most of the round. By what metric should DC have won round 5?

Another thing I found interesting after the rewatch is that Cormier probably suffered the least amount of damage of of all Jones opponents, which is amazing considering he's such a short fighter with a wrestling background. From memory of all Jones opponents got their faces pretty marked up. Cormier has impressive striking defence.

So now both DC and Gus deserve a rematch. Guess Bones should be all booked up through 2017, no need for anyone else at LHW to fight. We have seen enough for a couple years.

Or... he can go full Cerrone. The GOAT discussion will be closed.

Rnd 1, Close with Jones edging it with a few stronger decisive shots

Rn 2, Close but Cormier edging it clearly with some nice shots

Rnd 3. Interesting round. Imo neither fighter won this round, it should be a 10/10

Rnd 4. Jones dominated with this control and take downs.

Rnd 5. Again neither fighter did anything as they just spent it in the clinch doing no damage. 10/10

49/48 Jones.

This was a close competitive fight even if you award Jones rounds 4 and 5, there was nothing really in it apart from the 4th round. Neither fighter did any major damage, and the idea that Jones dominated is pure fantasy. DC deserves a rematch and is capable of beating Jones if he works on his cardio.

Lets just be thankful TS is not a MMA judge

DC clearly won round 2 and round 3 could have gone either way.

Rounds 1,4,5 were clearly Jones.

49-46 or 48-47 doesn't matter - Jones wins.

Also, I was very happy with how thoroughly Herb Dean shut down the eye pokes. No eye pokes landed of any significance. One warning in the 3rd for a very light eyelid impact and then it stopped.

Almost how I scored it, except I gave DC rd 3.

Jones took over when DC got tired.

It was close. I would also like to see a rematch. I think DC could beat Bones with a few adjustments.

Surely it's better than being held against the cage.

It's just the way it is, common sense. If you have a super tight round that can go either way, how do you NOT give it to the champ?

Because no where in the rules does it state such an idiotic thing? The champ gets no benefits. It is a fair fight

Close and competitive fight. Cormier can beat Jones with improved cardio. Also, another great example of heart by Jones.

pretty sure cormier did good inside work against Mir. In rnd 5 Jones did no inside work they basically just held each other.

At least this makes it clear you didn't watch the 5th.

Another thing I found interesting after the rewatch is that Cormier probably suffered the least amount of damage of of all Jones opponents, which is amazing considering he's such a short fighter with a wrestling background. From memory of all Jones opponents got their faces pretty marked up. Cormier has impressive striking defence.

Bader, O'Brien and Rashad all left in one piece.

They should never just go to the champ by default

Whoever wins them wons them, the champ doesnt get any special consideration

In baseball, tie goes to the runner. In UFC, tie goes to the champ.

Way she goes boys! -Ray

Jones 1, 4, 5, for me. I agree with it being much closer than it felt, but still a clear victory for Jones nearly no matter how you cut it.

Surely it's better than being held against the cage.
That sums it up nicely.

Pretty much, Round 2 is the only CLEAR win by DC and Round 4 is the only CLEAR win by Jones. The others are either edged out or toss ups and could be argued either way. Have it:

Round 1: Jones edges it out
Round 2: DC clearly
Round 3: toss up and either way is ok
Round 4: Jones clearly
Round 5: toss up again, barely activity by either but I edge it for Jones

Jones 3 rounds to 2 at worst and 4 to 1 at best, that doesn't mean that Jones dominated by any means though. With the way people were talking the day after, you'd think Jones made DC his bitch and destroyed him from bell to bell.

Back