Just rewatched GSP vs BJ II

Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good god, if I needed another reminder of just how good prime GSP was, did I ever get one.

This is the greatest technical performance in MMA history. Yes, more so than Anderson - Forrest and Conor - Eddie, because neither Forrest nor Eddie were anywhere near as good as prime motivated BJ Penn; not even close. Plus they were both favourable stylistic matchups while many thought BJ was GSP's kryptonite: god-tier TDD, great chin, pressure boxing, and one of the most effective guards ever.

A lot of people thought BJ won their first fight, and BJ was looking better than he ever had in the three fights leading up to this rematch. In terms of the betting line, it was the closest of any GSP fight in his career since the Hughes rematch, and GSP has been a huge favourite in every fight since then, until he retired in 2013. So a lot of people gave BJ a great chance here, and thought if GSP were to win, it would at least be competitive.

Not the case. Total fucking domination, on the feet and on the ground. Jabbed his face off, sliced through BJ's legendary guard like a hot knife through butter, and watching BJ wincing, helpless on the ground while getting beaten up was pretty sad to watch actually.

Just a random collection of thoughts. GSP is the GOAT, there's not a close second in my opinion.

Edit:
Here's this all-time GOAT gif for ya

MMA's most iconic "No Mas" moment

Last edited:
Beating a natural FW/LW you outweigh by 20+ pounds and greasing to do it sure is impressive.

An overrated bigger fighter who had to resort in greasing to win, yeah how impressive!

I'm both a huge BJ and GSP fan.

I do think BJ did win the first fight.

But GSP absolutely destroyed BJ in the second fight. Masterful performance.

Am I the only one who doesnt watch old fights?

I just cant make myself give a shit when I already know the outcome.

Also, yes. GSP was pretty decent.

Am I the only one who doesnt watch old fights?

I just cant make myself give a shit when I already know the outcome.

Also, yes. GSP was pretty decent.

I personally love watching old fights.

Fight Pass has been worth the 9.99 a month. One of the only things the UFC offers that is worth the price.

00naughtygspbulletproof.gif~c200

Idk if this counts as motivated penn. bj penns physique during the Sanchez and Florini fights were way more shredded. Either way , a vicious beat down on an all time great

The GOAT is overrated

Hmmm...
Pro MMA fighters confirmed that

Anderson, Fedor, Jones > GSP and it wasn’t close.

Fedor won the last official Sherdog GOAT poll and it wasn’t close.

What’s GSP the GOAT of again?

I personally love watching old fights.

Fight Pass has been worth the 9.99 a month. One of the only things the UFC offers that is worth the price.

I've tried with FightPass. But I usually just ended up fast forwarding to the finish.

Pro MMA fighters confirmed that

Anderson, Fedor, Jones > GSP and it wasn’t close.

Fedor won the last official Sherdog GOAT poll and it wasn’t close.

What’s GSP the GOAT of again?

WW GOAT for sure.

And I have him right beside Fedor.

I can't in all good conscience put anyone who pissed hot at the top of my GOAT rankings.

Cause Jones and Anderson would definitely be right there too if they didn't pop.

That fight could have been stopped after the 3rd round.

The doctor kept trying to get a look at BJ but his brother kept blocking him out of the circle when BJ clearly had nothing left.

That was pretty bad cornering because Baby J got the Hel beaten out of him in the 4th.

Good god, if I needed another reminder of just how good prime GSP was, did I ever get one.

This is the greatest technical performance in MMA history. Yes, more so than Anderson - Forrest and Conor - Eddie, because neither Forrest nor Eddie were anywhere near as good as prime motivated BJ Penn; not even close. Plus they were both favourable stylistic matchups while many thought BJ was GSP's kryptonite: god-tier TDD, great chin, pressure boxing, and one of the most effective guards ever.

A lot of people thought BJ won their first fight, and BJ was looking better than he ever had in the three fights leading up to this rematch. In terms of the betting line, it was the closest of any GSP fight in his career since the Hughes rematch, and GSP has been a huge favourite in every fight since then, until he retired in 2013. So a lot of people gave BJ a great chance here, and thought if GSP were to win, it would at least be competitive.

Not the case. Total fucking domination, on the feet and on the ground. Jabbed his face off, sliced through BJ's legendary guard like a hot knife through butter, and watching BJ wincing, helpless on the ground while getting beaten up was pretty sad to watch actually.

Just a random collection of thoughts. GSP is the GOAT, there's not a close second in my opinion.
great performance.

unfortunately It will always be stained with the stench of grease

Back