Just rewatched GSP vs BJ II

IDK how anyone could think BJ won the first fight, it was 29-28 all day GSP.

Yeah BJ proved he was a natural FW with all the success he's had there. And he totally didn't almost die the first time he tried to cut to that weight :rolleyes:

Serra was just as heavy as Saint-Pierre.

Silva, on the other hand, lost in embarassing fashion to two natural LW in pride during his prime.

Pride was not his prime. You are talking about a genius who mastered the submission game in his 30s.

Silva bless.

GSP was 187 and Penn was 173. That's 14 pounds. Go back to school.
GSP was above 190.
He's a good weight cutter, and always fought much smaller men. The only time he fought someone his own size, he picked the easiest guy around: Bisping.

slip1.gif

slip3.gif

slip5.gif

It's unfortunate a WW grappler felt the need to cheat against a LW.
It's even more unfortunate the match wasn't ruled a no contest when the commission caught their team cheating.

Last edited:
The GOAT is overrated

Hmmm...

One of the four GOAT's anyway. And yes, lets face it, half of Sherdog could beat him (or think they can). They also think they can beat Fedor, Anderson, and Jones, so he's in good company.

Its easy to think someone's not good (ie overrated) if you've never been in the cage yourself. Its why so many armchair quarterbacks think they're better than the guys the NFL actually pays millions a year to play quarterback.

Ok let me just recap this - GSP fighting and beating a bloated LW (or even FW) is a far better achievement than two fighters moving up in weight and completely dominating their opponent? In hindsight, GSP beating BJ is not particularly impressive. GSP is defnitely one of the P4P best in the world when he was at his peak, but beating BJ was along all of his wins not very impressive.

Good god, if I needed another reminder of just how good prime GSP was, did I ever get one.

This is the greatest technical performance in MMA history. Yes, more so than Anderson - Forrest and Conor - Eddie, because neither Forrest nor Eddie were anywhere near as good as prime motivated BJ Penn; not even close.

MMA's most iconic "No Mas" moment

Silva and McGregor went up in weight and entered the matrix - GSP beat a guy 2 weight divisions below them and 3 weight classes different in their most recent fights

Back