Just re-watched Fedor vs Arona

Fedor is my favorite fighter but objectively speaking, Arona was the better fighter and the better overall grappler that night. He didn't do shit other than holding down but he was "controlling" the fight after all.
I have no problem accepting this since I like Arona as well.

from what I remember, he did nothing but lay on fedor, while fedor was constantly attempting submissions...fedor was the busier of the fighter and deserved the win.

Holy fuck even bringing up certain fights sours the shit out of Fedor fans lmao it's fucking great

Fedor is my favorite fighter but objectively speaking, Arona was the better fighter and the better overall grappler that night. He didn't do shit other than holding down but he was "controlling" the fight after all.

Neither Fedor nor Arona ever fought in the UFC. This thread belongs in the Worldwide forum.

He was 33. Had he trained better and not become a head hunter he'd have been fine. No one expected him to remain unbeaten forever, but losing to Hendo was an embarrassment.
Hendo is also a legend and losing to him is no embarrassment. Shogun is just 35 or so, do you think he is just entering his prime now?

Primes are not a number but rather fight mileage and one’s body holding up. Fedor has been competing in Sambo, Judo etc since he was a kid. He went 10 years undefeated fighting all sorts of contenders. He was on the decline during the Arlovski fight. Still KO’d AA.

He then went on still to KO Rogers in a sloppy(yet exciting) affair but anyone could see this was not vintage Fedor.

He probably should have lost the fight. Does it really matter? 2002-2009 was when he was champion.
It's not like when Wand should've lost the belt to Arona.

Hendo is also a legend and losing to him is no embarrassment. Shogun is just 35 or so, do you think he is just entering his prime now?

Primes are not a number but rather fight mileage and one’s body holding up. Fedor has been competing in Sambo, Judo etc since he was a kid. He went 10 years undefeated fighting all sorts of contenders. He was on the decline during the Arlovski fight. Still KO’d AA.

He then went on still to KO Rogers in a sloppy(yet exciting) affair but anyone could see this was not vintage Fedor.

Fedor always fought the same way, hes a brawler and that's who he is. Hes just lucky he fought a bunch of cans in pride.

Fedor always fought the same way, hes a brawler and that's who he is. Hes just lucky he fought a bunch of cans in pride.
Uh, Fedor spent most of his career grappling with guys. I recommend watching some fights lol

You have to understand Rings rules before forming an opinion on that decision. I'm ok with Fedor winning, even if Arona looked better according to UFC, or even Pride scoring.

many arguments over who won have been made
but nobody has ever posted the rings judging criteria....

many arguments over who won have been made
but nobody has ever posted the rings judging criteria....
ive never seen one either, but i also believe that RINGS constantly changed rules. the short version is that RINGS counted strikes and sub attempts but did not count top control. Arona did several strikes from the top, Fedor did several strikes and several (weak) sub attempts from the bottom. i'm talking extra time only here, the only round that matters in this debate.

certainly orgs back then were less transparent than today. that makes some contemporary mma fans uncomfortable. and like other Japanese NHB orgs in the 90's, it started as a work/shoot hybrid, and that also makes some contemporary mma fans uncomfortable. by the mid 90's it was supposedly pure shoot.

it feels weird to contemporary mma fans to not count top control, but it doesn't feel weird to bjj players and fans. many older orgs had funky rules (one need to go no further than Pancrase to prove this), and most orgs of that era didn't count top control the same way UFC does today. RINGS was an important step in the evolution in NHB and NHB rules.

@lostdog000 i think you know most of this. i wrote it for all the others who may not. cheers.

Last edited:

this is only if you don't judge the fight under the rules they fought under and instead judge it under current unified rules (which is illogical)

Exactly what I mean hahahahahaha
georges-st-pierre_bj-penn_2.gif

“To the death Georges”~ BJ Penn.....then quits on his stool...Andy Wang would be ashamed...lol.

Last edited:
It's really easy to take Hendo's win over Fedor seriously. He beat the man unconscious.

Part of the problem many Fedor fans face is that they are so attached to his genuinely impressive unbeaten streak that they don't know how to handle his losses well.

<mma4>

Lol? But then when they did fight Fedor got TKOed by Hendo.

Fedor was a monster in his prime, one of the best if not the very best fighter of modern martial arts. But people give him too much a pass for his losses in Strikeforce.

Who gives Fedor a pass? He fought sloppy and didn't look in great shape. That said, everyone who beat Fedor in Strikeforce also failed PED tests later or were openly on PEDs at the time they fought Fedor (like Hendo). Hendo also instantly started looking like crap after not being able to use PEDs anymore.

Can people please do some research here?

RINGS focused on attempts to finish the fight. Fedor had more submission attempts and won the OT round. Therefore he won the fight.

People commenting on this are lazy and not even trying to understand why Fedor won.

Back