Just re-watched Fedor vs Arona

Arona had a very odd stance.
by leaving his chin exposed, guys would lunge for it and he would take them down. it also allowed for his killer leg kicks.

he fought Shogun tired (an hour or so after beating Wandy) and that didn't go well. and he ate an uppercut from hell while breaking away from Soko. other than that, his relatively unique stance proved very successful over his career.

Indeed. Fedor lost to Arona and Khabib lost to a Juicy Tibau, but that does not take away from how good they are/were.

Or its that we watched Dan Henderson fight in Pride and understand that he wouldn't have even looked in Fedors direction for a possible fight.
I mean it’s not like he fought the nogs...

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Matt Mitrione? Yes, Henderson landed a good punch, but Emelianenko was conscious and that stoppage was premature.
He could barely stand and couldn’t defend himself. It was a typical stoppage in that scenario. He face planted and then couldn’t defend.

Control wasn’t part of the judging criteria of the arona fight. Fedor won based of the rules of that fight
Fedor is my favorite fighter but objectively speaking, Arona was the better fighter and the better overall grappler that night. He didn't do shit other than holding down but he was "controlling" the fight after all.
I have no problem accepting this since I like Arona as well.

It's really easy to take Hendo's win over Fedor seriously. He beat the man unconscious.

Part of the problem many Fedor fans face is that they are so attached to his genuinely impressive unbeaten streak that they don't know how to handle his losses well.
Lmao, this is so true about Fedor fanatics.

Can people please do some research here?

RINGS focused on attempts to finish the fight. Fedor had more submission attempts and won the OT round. Therefore he won the fight.

People commenting on this are lazy and not even trying to understand why Fedor won.
Akira Maeda spits on these fools

It has been drilled into the ground over and over but under the rule set that RINGS used, Fedor pretty clearly won

Arona would have won if Rings used the same rules as most of MMA uses today.

but it was a proper decision.

Can people please do some research here?

RINGS focused on attempts to finish the fight. Fedor had more submission attempts and won the OT round. Therefore he won the fight.

People commenting on this are lazy and not even trying to understand why Fedor won.

Control wasn’t part of the judging criteria of the arona fight. Fedor won based of the rules of that fight

It has been drilled into the ground over and over but under the rule set that RINGS used, Fedor pretty clearly won

You sure about that?

according to Volk Han, the judges were going to give Arona the dec, until he persuaded Maeda to change their minds.

I lol'd so much when I read that, after reading years of hipsters trying to claim 'but RINGS rules mean Fedor clearly won!'

Uh no, RINGS rules never made that clear, and now we even have it from the horses (or rather, the wolf's) mouth...

source (in Russian):
https://matchtv.ru/boxing/fedor/mat...-v-fedore-chempiona-volk-khan-interview-fedor

You sure about that?

according to Volk Han, the judges were going to give Arona the dec, until he persuaded Maeda to change their minds.

I lol'd so much when I read that, after reading years of hipsters trying to claim 'but RINGS rules mean Fedor clearly won!'

Uh no, RINGS rules never made that clear, and now we even have it from the horses (or rather, the wolf's) mouth...

source (in Russian):
https://matchtv.ru/boxing/fedor/mat...-v-fedore-chempiona-volk-khan-interview-fedor
Okay I prefer this version of events
That's hilarious

But are we sure it's not just Volk being a bitter old crank because Fedor left RTT at the height of his powers?

He could barely stand and couldn’t defend himself. It was a typical stoppage in that scenario. He face planted and then couldn’t defend.

He couldn't defend? He was defending when the fight was stopped. Whether that defense would have been effective or not, I can't say, but I do wish the referee had let us find out.

You could similarly reward Anderson Silva vs The Diet Butcher Otsuka and apply the Unified Rules to get a different result also

Fedor won under the Rings rules at the time.

Arona turned down the rematch in Pride for a reason.

Arona turned down the rematch in Pride for a reason.
tenor.gif

He couldn't defend? He was defending when the fight was stopped. Whether that defense would have been effective or not, I can't say, but I do wish the referee had let us find out.
He was not defending.

was a very bad stoppage.
Lol

He face planted and took a number of undefended shots to the head. When is that not a stoppage?

Only with fedor is the he wasn’t technically unconscious argument used.

Back