Just Re-watched Anderson vs Wiedman ***very new perspective***

Bottom line for me is that Anderson was about 99% ineffective the entire fight, he landed a handful of leg kicks and that was it. Weidman landed the better strikes everywhere, got the TD, and had a legitimate sub attempt. There was nothing about that fight that made me think Anderson would win a rematch or that it wouldnt end even faster in a rematch now that Weidman knows he has the ability to finish the fight basically anywhere.

Weidman basically nullified Silva for the most part

On the ground it's a wash and he was able to easily avoid Silva's counters in the standup.

Weidman's reach plus fighting at the right range made it easy for him to avoid Silva's counters cause he never had to overextend on his punches and never left himself vulnerable. He could land and avoid the return shot, rinse and repeat. He gave Silva no space and no openings, nullified him

You saw Silva taunting to get Chris to fight his fight and not take him to the ground, but it didn't work. The taunting to people watching was simply an illusion, and to Silva it was a way to get Weidman to fight his fight as you can see he was having very little success up to that point

I see it as the ole "big brother keeps daring little brother to hit him" and little brother finally did. I just hope he doesn't act like an a$$hole the whole fight and we see a real fight. I want to see him completely serious, so there aren't any excuses if he loses again.

I think people over analyze too much. The second fight will tell us everything we need to know. As far as the first fight goes....I stand by my first thought. It was flukish in the sense that Anderson lost it rather than Weidman doing anything great to win. If he wins second fight then fair enough he's the better fighter.

I have to say that if you actually think that then you missed a lot of the smaller things in the fight. In particular the small adjustments Weidman made that allowed him to land his shots while making Anderson miss and the way Weidman avoiding getting baited by Anderson.

Those little things make all the difference as it was Chris' actions that prevented him getting highlighted as everyone thought he was about to be.

Here is my explanation and what you missed from another thread.

------------------------------

His actions were specifically different than anything we've seen and exceptional.

Anderson has made a career out of baiting guys into his game. He drops his hands and challenges their pride and they become completely ineffectual and run at him, giving him exactly what he wants. Or they get frustrated and quit mentally.

i4uzh7yKiB8aq.gif

Weidman remained focused in the face of taunting and did not bite and run at Anderson and instead kept to his game plan of picking HIS SPOTS instead of chasing Anderson's bait and openings. He continued to measure Anderson and to bait him back which no one has ever done.

That was step one of Anderson's demise.

788419746.gif

Weidman then went a step further as his confidence grew and he began to taunt Silva by dropping his hands and offering up his head for free punches like Nick Diaz taunts his opponents. This threw Anderson as no one had done that to him before and it made Anderson miss in his attempts to him.

that was step two of Anderson's demise.

pqCUo.gif

Which lead to this statement by Anderson after the fight.

"After he lost, though, (Anderson) admitted that he struggled, and that he couldn't hit Weidman."

And Weidman was landing shots all through the fight even as Anderson missed above and was pretending Weidman was not hitting and upping his clowing.

Anderson getting tagged and realizing he was struggling to hit a hands down taunting Chris was step 3 of his demise.

k-bigpic.gif

When a guy feigns a strike did not hurt you often know it did. Especially when you can see it from another angle and closer...

l6d.gif

the big shots landed were the finale.

weidmansilvagnp.gif

enter KTFO gif which ends the fight.

So yes, Weidman did's lots special and unique as no one had done those things to Anderson in his UFC run. No one had come close.

And Chris deserves full credit as he beat Anderson with his actions and by dictating the fight and forcing Anderson's hand. Anderson did not beat himself.

Anderson was definitely winning the 2nd round until he got caught.

He also came on top of the exchanges in the 1st round after he got up, but that wasn't enough to win him the round.

Try again.

Ridiculous interpretation of events.

further to my point above, right up until Weidman KTFO Anderson most thought he was making a mistake playing Anderson's game. Because Anderson was implementing HIS GAME. Weidman just beat him at it.

Anderson was definitely winning the 2nd round until he got caught.

He also came on top of the exchanges in the 1st round after he got up, but that wasn't enough to win him the round.

Try again.

Oh yeah, he was sooo winning the 2nd round. You know, when all he did before getting knocked out 1 minute into the round was land about 2 leg kicks, and 3 different dancing techniques

He normally turns with the punches. He turned the wrong way when he got KO'd.

when i first saw the fight i thought weidman would have to pull a chael and basically be looking for the TD at all times. if weidman couldnt get anderson down he would be ko'd. I expected weidman to win the first round (can check my post history) but in the second round when he failed to get anderson down he was in big trouble and it was a matter of time before he got decimated. not getting anderson down meant that weidman was gassing and he couldnt get anderson down. weidman was in trouble and it was just a matter of time til he got lit up

***NEW PERSPECTIVE

andersons walk to the cage was a new level of caulky. you can see him stop to manipulate the camera crew etc. you could just tell that he had also placed god-like status on himself. he really was acting like he thought of himself as someone really special. you need to leave that sort of thing to others imo.

ego can be a huge flaw. anderson like so many people let his ego get the best of him. when things werent going his way he tried to act like hes above it all. the taunting and talking in between rounds. who does that? seriously? imagine someone on the undercard doing that? ego. then anderson is on the feet in round 2 with weidman and isnt landing anything. as wiedman lands the odd jab andersons ego gets more and more bent out of shape like wtf im anderson silva and you cant get the better of me. the taunting gets worse. i think this is a natural ego reaction. we have seen it a million times when a striker thinks theyre better than their opponent and they get tagged the next thing you know their hands are down and theyre taunting. maynard vs guida is a good example of frustration-handsdown-tagged badly. jones even started for a second at the start of the gus fight but caught himself. anderson took it to an whole new level and imo it was because his ego had reached a whole new level

Anyways heres the new perspective that i found the most ineresting

what if weidman didnt have the chael gameplan of get the fight to the ground at all costs? what if weidmans plan was a little more complex?

lets look at a smart gameplan that factors in andersons weaopons

-anderson has great cardio
-anderson had looked impossible to tko or gnp out
-anderson is a counter striker
-you need to either sub anderson or win a decision

-wiedman dominated the first round but if you notice he dove for an ankle instead of playing it safe and trying to punch anderson in the face for the rest of the round. he wasnt looking to pound anderson out even though he was landing big shots

-round 2 weidmans takedown attempts were half-assed. this is the key to people being mislead imo. weidman was planning for a 5 round fight. if you re watch it with this in mind you see that weidman didnt want to burn himself out battling for TD's in the wrong spot. while standing weidman was fighting a counter striker very smart. he didnt really fall for any bait and expose himself he threw the odd jab out there and was cautious of adersons counters. this is what frustrated anderson. weidman was basically looking to score the odd jab, conserve energy, and wait for the TD opening and not gas himself trying to force it. it wasnt at all a case of weidman being too gassed to take anderson down. he was executing a game plan to win a 5 round fight

rewatching the fight with this perspective you can actually see that weidman executed a perfect gameplan and was actually in control the whole fight. he was never fading or out of his comfort zone. yes anderson got ko'd by acting like an idiot but make no mistake about it, nothing anderson was doing for a round and a half was working.

anderson landed a couple leg kicks and acted like he was better than weidman but in reality he got completely dominated in the first and shut down on the feet also which made his giant ego get the best of him causing him to act like a fool

TLDR
long post made short after rewatching the fight my opinion that weidman was fading in the second round completely changed. i now think that weidman is a very smart fighter and he was executing a very smart gameplan that didnt have him panicking and gassing himself out early in a 5 round fight. weidman was actually comfortable the whole time

Weidman was gassed after 3 minutes...

If Weidman himself read this thread he would be amazed.

No storm trooper didn't read gif? U let me down sherdog

I heard AS was on pain killers, thats why he actted that way.

nothing anderson was doing for a round and a half was working.

The first time I rewatched it that night and confirmed what others were saying - that Silva actually said the words (paraphrasing) 'lets have a standup fight' I almost fell off my chair.

If anyone here thinks its disputable that Anderson was laying on the taunting extra thick to bait Chris into a standup fight, they are mistaken. He quite literally begged him to have a kick boxing fight, audibly, on camera, out in the open.

When he got dumped in the first round and felt what Chris was like on top, he knew it wasn't a Chael Sonnen situation. He knew he couldn't take those shots. Chris rolled for a kneebar because he felt he could hang with Anderson with impunity, and, he was right.

Chris has a maturity in his fight game well beyond his years.

All Silva needs to do to correct his foolish blunders is fight with honor. Then hopefully, it's game over.

The first time I rewatched it that night and confirmed what others were saying - that Silva actually said the words (paraphrasing) 'lets have a standup fight' I almost fell off my chair.

If anyone here thinks its disputable that Anderson was laying on the taunting extra thick to bait Chris into a standup fight, they are mistaken. He quite literally begged him to have a kick boxing fight, audibly, on camera, out in the open.

When he got dumped in the first round and felt what Chris was like on top, he knew it wasn't a Chael Sonnen situation. He knew he couldn't take those shots. Chris rolled for a kneebar because he felt he could hang with Anderson with impunity, and, he was right.

Chris has a maturity in his fight game well beyond his years.

Exactly right.

But Anderson fans will soon rush in to tell you that you are wrong. They will ignore why Anderson was clowning and 'asking' Chris to stand and that is because he knew he could not dictate where the fight took place and force Chris to stand.

He tasted Chris' power in his GnP and he had to fend off sub attempts and realized this was nothing like being under Chael for most of 5 rounds and eating 300 shots.

Every action Silva took was a direct reflection of what Weidman FORCED him to do.

I think people over analyze too much. The second fight will tell us everything we need to know. As far as the first fight goes....I stand by my first thought. It was flukish in the sense that Anderson lost it rather than Weidman doing anything great to win. If he wins second fight then fair enough he's the better fighter.

it was less of a fluke then silva winning the first sonnen fight.

Back