Just re-watched Aldo-Mendes 2

Unfair to compare Mendes and McGregor because they bring different tools to the table. The only thing of note is that Aldo has at times been a little susceptible to a well placed uppercut and McGregor throws a fanastic one.

Exactly. Thank you.

All I said was if McGregor can hit him as often as Mendes then Aldo could be in trouble.

Ohhhh and the "threat of a TD by Mendes" Argument can be canceled out by McGregor being the more superior striker. So IMO it's a level playing field again.

Btw didn't McGregor take down Holloway?

lol, i rarely post on sherdog, but had to sign in to note that you are the definition of a keyboard warrior, i literally imagine u sitting behind ur comp with a neckbeard spewing absolute garbage like , "Ohhhh and the "threat of a TD by Mendes" Argument can be canceled out by McGregor being the more superior striker. So IMO it's a level playing field again."

If I were Aldo I wouldn't be so sure Connor isn't taking me down. Connor took down Max Holloway easily every single time with a torn ACL. Dennies Burmdez wasn't even able to do that to Max.

I'm not saying Connor has wrestling as good as Mendes but Jose could get caught off guard if he thinks he has nothing to worry about.

Hes not going for td's
Taking down Holloway is nowhere near the same as taking down aldo.....add to the fact aldo has a significant bjj edge/connies sub defense has been found wanting and mcg is smart enough to realize grappling with a guy who has won the world cup/mundials/ brazilian national championship is a bad idea

1. Mendes and Conor fight literally NOTHING alike.

2. Mendes is considerably quicker than Conor

3. Mendes hits harder than Conor

4. Predicting the outcome of the upcoming fight based on this one makes literally no sense.

Hes not going for td's
Taking down Holloway is nowhere near the same as taking down aldo.....add to the fact aldo has a significant bjj edge/connies sub defense has been found wanting and mcg is smart enough to realize grappling with a guy who has won the world cup/mundials/ brazilian national championship is a bad idea

Agreed that comment was pretty ridiculous. "Oh he took down Holloway Aldo better be careful", I doubt wrestling will be much of a factor. I think it's McGregor striking obviously that will give Jose serious problems

uppercut and McGregor throws a fanastic one.

True

Honestly mcg is gonna have to
avoid legkicks
fight loooong
Push a super high pace if he's gonna have any chance standing. .....I don't see anyone knocking aldo out with one shot , but a prolonged high volume and fatigue on aldos part would help alot

Xfactor is the grappling-aldo has good wrestling and excellent bjj.....all anyone can go by for connie is the lil he's shown, personally wasnt impressed

If I were Aldo I wouldn't be so sure Connor isn't taking me down. Connor took down Max Holloway easily every single time with a torn ACL. Dennies Burmdez wasn't even able to do that to Max.

I'm not saying Connor has wrestling as good as Mendes but Jose could get caught off guard if he thinks he has nothing to worry about.

Bermudez... Holloway... um yeah, these two are not in the same galaxy of wrestling as Mendes or for that matter Edgar or Lamas.

Conor will absorb a few leg kicks but I don't think it will affect him much after he adjust and make Aldo miss. Aldo's weakness, I think is when Mendes was landing the combinations ending with the left hook. He kept getting tagged with it over and over. Which the left hook is Conor's best wepon.

Agreed that comment was pretty ridiculous. "Oh he took down Holloway Aldo better be careful", I doubt wrestling will be much of a factor. I think it's McGregor striking obviously that will give Jose serious problems

Nothing I said was ridiculous. I said Connor might catch aldo off guard are we pretending that's not possible in mma now?

It gets so tiring with posters on this site acting like they know exactly what's going to happen every fight. No one expected dillashaw to put on a striking clinic against barao but it happened. If someone were to say that before the fight you would be the first one posting saying how ridiculous that is.

I think it's McGregor striking obviously that will give Jose serious problems

Best chance is definitely striking, really think if he picks his spots but still pushes the pace it could be a gr8 fight.

Bermudez... Holloway... um yeah, these two are not in the same galaxy of wrestling as Mendes or for that matter Edgar or Lamas.

No one ever said they were. My point is connor has decent wrestling from what we've seen. So maybe he can catch aldo off guard with his good striking. These things do happen in mma. It's not just the wrestling credentials but the way you setup a td ask gsp.

Mendes has legitimate power, moves fast and has freaky athleticism. Using Mendes complete inability to hurt Aldo is not a great example.

Nothing I said was ridiculous. I said Connor might catch aldo off guard are we pretending that's not possible in mma now?

1. Breeaatthhhee
2. You don't have anything to base connies wrestling prowess on other than td's. ...on....max holloway of all people , where as fights with-faber/edgar/lamas/mendes(all infinitely stronger wrestlers) show that "surprising" aldo with a td more than likely isnt happening
so yes your example "he took holloway down......" is ridiculous

. My point is connor has decent wrestling from what we've seen.

Because he took holloway down??

What have you seen other than that?

Here lemme try
my point is
aldo has BETTER wrestling from what we've seen because of his tdd&scrambling abilities shown against-edgar, mendes(twice),lamas,faber, brown
....who have all proved themselves to have great mma wrestling

Damn pulling for certain fighters is cool
not liking other fighters is alright
but being simple is inexcusable

It gets so tiring with posters on this site acting like they know exactly what's going to happen every fight. No one expected dillashaw to put on a striking clinic against barao but it happened. If someone were to say that before the fight you would be the first one posting saying how ridiculous that is.

Actually I was like one of the only people talking up Dillashaw and saying the fight wasn't a mismatch when everyone was predicting Barao by murder on the "TUF Reject"

Holloways foot was broken

Holloway broke his foot when McGregor checked one of his leg kicks.

McGregor also has a TKO win earlier in his career via checking a leg kick. Done right that can cause serious damage as we saw in Silva/Weidman II.

That being said, McGregor's lead leg won't be there for Aldo to kick because McGregor's a south paw. Aldo will have to switch to inside leg kicks if he was to go the kicking route. And inside leg kicks are far less dangerous.

Like most fanboys, they overrate the hell out of their favourite fighter.

I favour the champ but I think Conor has a great chance of beating Aldo.

People don't want to accept how tough Conor is but a bunch of impartial fanboys will usually not ever open their eyes to something right in front of them.

Same thing happened with Weidman going into the Silva fight.

Like most fanboys, they overrate the hell out of their favourite fighter.

I favour the champ but I think Conor has a great chance of beating Aldo.

People don't want to accept how tough Conor is but a bunch of impartial fanboys will usually not ever open their eyes to something right in front of them.

Same thing happened with Weidman going into the Silva fight.

This, it's the fear that makes them downplay fighters. I picked Weidman to beat Silva and you could see the fear with how people were downplaying him and acting like he didn't deserve to be in there. I'm seeing that same kind of thing with this fight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back