Reaction score
im 6 foot, 195.

total time 8:03
Lap1: 1:46
Lap2: 2:06
Lap3: 2:09
Lap4: 2:02

Any advice to improve for next time?

I felt kinda gassed after the first lap because I was going pretty hard.

Run more. Learn to pace yourself. I always had trouble with a timed mile because I was much better as a slow starter. My 3 mile time would be about the same time per mile as my best mile run.

Run three miles Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesdays and Thursdays run 5 miles. Don't time any of these, just run about 80% all except the last mile. Do this two or three weeks then run a timed one on Monday. I did this an entire summer in high school and felt like a champ.

Run three miles Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesdays and Thursdays run 5 miles. Don't time any of these, just run about 80% all except the last mile. Do this two or three weeks then run a timed one on Monday. I did this an entire summer in high school and felt like a champ.

Right now I do kind of a powerlifting routine Mon/Wed/Fri and I just run on the side. Looks like im going to have to run more :)

I don't think you need to run that much. You can probably get by with running 3 days a week and improve drastically. When I got my times down pretty low, I was running long distance one day a week, a mid-level run (around 2-3 miles one day a week), and sprints or a timed mile the other day. I dropped my 5k time by over 3 minutes this way over a 3 month period.

I'd say looking at your times that you went out too hard and suffered for it. Try to run a more sustainable pace and if you have the legs, really turn it on in the last 400.

I'd say looking at your times that you went out too hard and suffered for it. Try to run a more sustainable pace and if you have the legs, really turn it on in the last 400.

This was the first time Ive ever done it. So I didnt know what kind of a pace i could sustain.

What is considered a "good" time to run?

My goal was to get to around 7 - 7:30 mins.

im 6 foot, 195.

What is your goal- good mile time or general endurance? i ask because i ran mile collegiately and typical training for it is 2 days of cross country like 5K runs for endurance and 3 days of interval training...2 or them being sprint intervals for building up lactic acid resistance and clearing ability as the mile race will create a lot of lactic acid as its a fast enough race to be anerobic toward the end...

typical training for the mile would be:
monday track intevals (sprints): spint 400M, then walk 400, then sprint 300M, walk 300, sprint 200, walk 200, sprint 100, walk 100... then go back up the pyrimad (run 100 walk 100, sprint 200 then walk.etc until you get to 400 then done)

Tuesday cross country day 5K

wed - easy slow jog distance 10K (6miles)

thursday - track intervals (mid distance).... run fast mile, then walk 1/2 mile - repeat 3 times

friday-easy jog for 10K

saturday- same sprint intervals done on monday

sunday off

after a few months of that you should break into low 5 min miles :)

my best time was 4:17 in HS and 4:07 in college and then beer really became a part of my life and lets just say i havent been close to the 4's since then lol :) but i can still bust out a 5:20 now at 6'2 and 191 lbs (i was 135lbs when i hit the low 4's)

When you ran your first timed mile, did you warm up by running a few slower miles first?

The other day I did a quick warm-up (stretching and a short jog of less than 1/4mile). I then ran a timed 'fast' single mile and went straight into 2 more miles at my normal and slower 5K pace. After taking a 30s breather, I ran another timed 'fast' mile and cut 12 seconds off the pace of the original mile. I was really shocked when I downloaded the results from my running watch onto my computer afterward. I would have thought that I would have been more tired having just run 3 miles before the 4th FAST mile, but getting the whole system warmed up and pumping blood seemed to make the last mile feel much easier than the first.

Disclaimer: I never run further than 5-6 miles, so this distance is quite high for me. I know a lot of marathoners who talk about the first 10 miles just getting them warmed up etc, but I cannot even relate to that at all.

Run more. Learn to pace yourself. I always had trouble with a timed mile because I was much better as a slow starter. My 3 mile time would be about the same time per mile as my best mile run.

I'm the same way in the 3 mile. except I start slow but tend to increase speed as I go. So by the time I finish i'm hauling serious ass. Right before I left the Marines they implimented the CFT (combat fitness test) along with the usual PFT (Physical Fitness Test). The CFT had an 800 meter run. the first time I ran it I had no idea how to pace myself and did very poorly.

I dont compete or anything like that. I just like to be balanced and decided to take up the mile for some cardio training.

I also try to do 5k races when I can.

Before I ran the mile I warmed up with a slower lap.

Breathing and stretching are the most important part of running. Also learn use different techniques when running. That way when you burn out a certain muscle group you can utilize another set. When I know I'm going the distance I try to keep the same pace through the duration of the run. If I have enough energy to run it out at the end I will. My last five mile run was 36:50 that was a hilled run. The last flat 5 miler was 30:50.

Low 5 minute miles would be pretty good. I could run mid 6 minute miles pretty easily back in middle school and high school. Don't start out too fast, and use all you have left on the final lap.

im 6 foot, 195.

try not to take this hard but at 803 except to see a start point you have no business timing a mile. you need to learn to run. literally you need to go do 1 3 mile run a week, 1 2-3 mile fartlek (too tired to explain it at the moment maybe later) and go do some sprint practice in the week. IE soccer, basketball, or my favorite ultimate frisbee (nothing like gassing out and getting taken out on a floor, ultimate is non contact. just get used to running. give it one month. you'll be under 7:30 for sure.

To put things in perspective when we rann tests in highschool I ran 19:20 for 3 miles, and under 5:30 for a mile. for overrall fitness is that necessary? no, when you watch someone do 18:22 laugh when you finish in 20:30 and do a backflip while your panting... it puts things in perspective. I ran 22:43 just doing a genneral conditioning run this week. But hey I'm going to afghanistan.

IMO your fine as soon as you get under 7 minutes which could easily be done if your not crazy fat in 6 weeks. if you are crazy fat, 12 weeks its very doable. oh the marsoc short card isn't so much about working out as finishing the workout correctly and loosening up your hips. 1 time a week, a consistent pace as fast as you can hold 3 mile then marsoc short card. its all cardio don't let anyone tell you its supposed to be a full body workout. cause its not. its all about adjusting yoru body to running even the exercises are. here you go.

1. 30 Push-ups
2. 30 Air squats
3. 30 Crunches
4. 10 Burpees
5. 10 Windmills
6. 30 Push-ups
7. 30 Mountain climbers
8. 30 Flutter kicks
9. 10 Burpees
10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
11. 30 Push-ups
12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
13. 30 Back Extensions ("supermans")
14. 10 Burpees
15. 10 Chain breakers
16. 30 Push-ups
17. 30 Lunges
18. 30 Hello dollies
19. 10 Burpees
20. 10 Trunk twists
21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs

(The short card is meant to be done continuously, with little to no rest in between "sets"
ie the dollies ar eto stretch out/open up your groin muscles, the lunges do them whenre you keep moving forward, lift the knee as high as you can reach it as far forward as you can, its designed to loosen up your hips. Everything in it is to make the cardio workout last longer without messing up your legs. its a good balanced running speed workout. I do this little set every time after I run now, takes a while eventually I''lll succeed in doing it without a break, last time 3 5 second breathers were necessary. Its a good way to balance out running.

Last edited:
try not to take this hard but at 803 except to see a start point you have no business timing a mile. you need to learn to run. literally you need to go do 1 3 mile run a week, 1 2-3 mile fartlek (too tired to explain it at the moment maybe later) and go do some sprint practice in the week. IE soccer, basketball, or my favorite ultimate frisbee (nothing like gassing out and getting taken out on a floor, ultimate is non contact. just get used to running. give it one month. you'll be under 7:30 for sure.

He has no business timing his runs? Give me a break. And how hard is learning to put one foot in front of the other? ...yeah yeah form and breathing, it's working out.

Thank you for your service.

He has no business timing his runs? Give me a break. And how hard is learning to put one foot in front of the other? ...yeah yeah form and breathing, it's working out.

Thank you for your service.
right and most have no idea how to workout for 6 minutes or more at a time. I'm saying he should be running. not racing at this point, timing a run for a mile is a "race" mentality. he needs to work on running. I'm syaing for 2 or 3 weeks. just get used to running, he's not acclimated as it where. little things like not going out too fast, having a bend in your knee when it goes under your hips. he'll get it fast.

I disagree. Timing is a great way to set goals for yourself and improve no matter what kind of runner you are.

1. I was timing my runs so I can measure improvement. I like seeing im improving.

2. My primary goals when working out are to get bigger and stronger (ie. bench, deadlift, squat), but I want to be more well rounded so I want to improve my running. Recently I got up to about 207lbs (down to around 195 now) and I want to make sure Im still pretty mobile.

Im pretty confident I can improve my mile by just losing like 30lbs :) but I dont want that. I wanna be a bad mofo. Bench 315 AND run a sub 7 minute mile :)

Pacing yourself is really key. Your best lap should really be your last lap.

A lot of it has to do with conditioning so running more will help. Also maybe work on just breathing techniques to help you in the stretch.

Back