Just got home from Rickson Budo Challenge, details inside

hamoom

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Unfortunately they wouldnt let us take any pics. they searched us like we were going on an airplane, metal detector and everything.

People I saw there included : Diego Sanchez, Jeff Glover, Renzo Gracie, Ralph Gracie, Rolls Gracie Jr, Marcelo Garcia, Jacare, Xande Ribeiro, Saulo Ribeiro, Rickson Gracie, Daiju Takase, Shinya Aoki ........ list goes on

This was unlike any grappling competition I've been to. There was one central stage, that was elevated, there were no ropes. The fighters had entrances, there was an announcer. The fighters also wore blue and red belts to symbolize the corners they were from.

the rules really did make the fights exciting. Almost every fight ended in submission. There were three, three minute rounds, and more points were awarded for submission attemps than for advancing positioning.

My favorite fighters were Jacare (crushed both his opponents with ease) and Shinya Aoki, who finished one opponent with an incredible flying armbar in 20 seconds, and he also finished Cameron Earle with some kind of very fast rolling leglock, it was difficult to see.

Aoki was the underdog to win his division, and had hilarious reactions to winning his fights. He made a samurai sword motion with his arm, like he had just cut down his opponent.

Overall, AWESOME event, only complaint was the time was way too long between fights. But it was my first time seeing world class BJJ and Judo black belts compete.

I went to buy a sandwich and Rickson literally bumped into me and cut in front of me! I shook his hand, and he was a gentleman. He has this suave latin kinda thing going on. Like a ricky ricardo.

Lastly, Kyra Gracie is the hottest BJJ black belt in the world

hamoom said:
Unfortunately they wouldnt let us take any pics. they searched us like we were going on an airplane, metal detector and everything.

People I saw there included : Diego Sanchez, Jeff Glover, Renzo Gracie, Ralph Gracie, Rolls Gracie Jr, Marcelo Garcia, Jacare, Xande Ribeiro, Saulo Ribeiro, Rickson Gracie, Daiju Takase, Shinya Aoki ........ list goes on

This was unlike any grappling competition I've been to. There was one central stage, that was elevated, there were no ropes. The fighters had entrances, there was an announcer. The fighters also wore blue and red belts to symbolize the corners they were from.

the rules really did make the fights exciting. Almost every fight ended in submission. There were three, three minute rounds, and more points were awarded for submission attemps than for advancing positioning.

My favorite fighters were Jacare (crushed both his opponents with ease) and Shinya Aoki, who finished one opponent with an incredible flying armbar in 20 seconds, and he also finished Cameron Earle with some kind of very fast rolling leglock, it was difficult to see.

Aoki was the underdog to win his division, and had hilarious reactions to winning his fights. He made a samurai sword motion with his arm, like he had just cut down his opponent.

Overall, AWESOME event, only complaint was the time was way too long between fights. But it was my first time seeing world class BJJ and Judo black belts compete.

I went to buy a sandwich and Rickson literally bumped into me and cut in front of me! I shook his hand, and he was a gentleman. He has this suave latin kinda thing going on. Like a ricky ricardo.

Lastly, Kyra Gracie is the hottest BJJ black belt in the world
Thats Tight Man hey who is that guy on your avi???

awesome man

so did aoki win his division? and did takase compete?

the hand you shook was the same hands that can tap out GOD/stop earthquakes/make rainbows.

flyingknee16 said:
awesome man

so did aoki win his division? and did takase compete?

yes aoki won his division

takase won his fight via reverse triangle, but was unable to go to the finals due to some kind of injury

gokor was there too, and someone asked him if karo was going to beat matt hughes. and gokor said

"no, i dont think hes ready yet"

also keigo kunihara got choked out in the exact same way that he did in this last ufc by pe de pano

pe de pano made funny faces while choking him..

this time robert drysdale was choking kunihara, and someone yelled out from the audience. MAKE SOME FACES INTO THE CAMERA

ROFL

Gokor said that?.... hehe

Sounds great. Too bad no pics. I hope we can get some footage of this. Did they have camera's shooting the event?

hamoom said:
Kyra Gracie is the hottest BJJ black belt in the world
Hmm LIES! Dave Jacobs clearly is !!

No homo

awesome man, i really wish i could have gone......

hamoom said:

Thanks for the info...sound like it was a cool event.

So did Rickson still get in front of you in line, or did he realize that he cut in front of you and assume his appropriate place in line?

DMcKayBJJ said:
Thanks for the info...sound like it was a cool event.

So did Rickson still get in front of you in line, or did he realize that he cut in front of you and assume his appropriate place in line?

he kinda cut in front cus i guess the guy serving the sandwiches is his student or something. i didnt really care that much.

scorcho said:
Sounds great. Too bad no pics. I hope we can get some footage of this. Did they have camera's shooting the event?

they had big huge cameras shooting it, one of the cameras was on a friggin CRANE.

there should be footage of this event eventually.

Back