Just bought an Xbox One S

Not a fan of the instant on feature. I have that feature turned off for this reason. I don't like the idea that the xbox is basically on 24/7 whether it's being used or not.

Also, it's basically a computer, which means a complete reboot/restart will clear memory issues and unused processes like a regular PC. This doesn't happen with the Instant On feature enabled. The only downside is that it takes extra time to start it up... like maybe 60-90 seconds? Which doesn't bother me.

Yeah, the only reason I have it enabled is so updates can be downloaded while i'm at work, or away. I hate having to to come home, and start up a game just to find out there's a 4gb patch waiting.

So this is my first Xbone, I managed to get a brand new one for cheap, I got the sexy white model which I am quite pleased with the look and size of. I do however have some concerns and I'd like to ask if its normal.

So I opened the bad boy up and set it up, updated it, and logged in to LIVE. I did have a 360 previously for awhile until it broke on me so the whole xbox experience isn't completely new to me. With that said, as I'm browsing the xbox trying to see what it can do and downloading some trials and games...etc. I did notice that its noticeably laggy when navigating the menus. I am primarily a PS4 user and coming from there where the menus are silky smooth for the most part, it is pretty annoying. This is supposed to be the S model Xbone too which is said to be a more powerful and capable console.

So what gives? Did I get a faulty console or is this what I can expect? I bought this for the exclusives I missed and because I hear its a pretty sweet media machine, which I must say it does have some cool features that I like and want to explore. So far initial first impressions are kinda meh, tbh.

I have a first gen XB1 and While it took me a bit to get used to the menu I never noticed any lag. I also run all of my games off of 2 external hard drives. The only thing that I have on the systems hard drive is the apps I use.

You should get EA Access. As of now there is 39 games for $30 a year. You can also run emulators of of the edge Browser which is a neat little feature.

You could also try going to Settings>All Settings>Network Settings>Advanced Settings>Alternate MAC Address>Clear. This will restart your Xbox and clear the system cache.

I reset my console and it seems to have improved a bit. It's still not as smooth as I'd like it, but its better and not too bad anymore. I'm actually enjoying the console. I just bought Gears 4 yesterday for 24$ and it came with all the Gears before it for free, I didn't know that. My Xbone also came with a month trial of EA access so I have some games on there I can play too. I also bought the Rare replay and Gears Ultimate Edition combo so I have plenty of games to play on there atm.

Not that I needed more, lol. I still have FF15 and The Last Guardian over on the PS4 to get through.

Weird. I have an OG console from when they first came out & the shit runs fine.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, if you don't have it. Fantastic game. Maybe wait until the sale tomorrow though. I saw it a few weeks ago for like $7.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, if you don't have it. Fantastic game. Maybe wait until the sale tomorrow though. I saw it a few weeks ago for like $7.

Have it already on the PS4, played it way back when it came out. I agree, its a great game.

I bought my niece an Xbox one last year and the menu navigation is a lot less smooth than the ps4. I bought her forza horizon 3 for Xmas. I can't wait to check it out on Sunday. I watched some videos online and this game looks great.

I bought my niece an Xbox one last year and the menu navigation is a lot less smooth than the ps4. I bought her forza horizon 3 for Xmas. I can't wait to check it out on Sunday. I watched some videos online and this game looks great.

Yeah I think a reason why I feel its really slow. I'm coming directly from a PS4, the difference is very noticeable. If you don't have a PS4 to compare it to, then I guess its normal for you.

Yeah I think a reason why I feel its really slow. I'm coming directly from a PS4, the difference is very noticeable. If you don't have a PS4 to compare it to, then I guess its normal for you.

Yup. We're in the era of beautiful interfaces because looks attract more than speed for the common folk. Netflix used to be amazing when they had a simplified user interface that was really quick. They then got all fancy shmancy and added full box art and rolling navigation. Netflix browsing went down the drain.

PS4 kept the simple but effective interface which keeps the system's memory level low. So simple to find what you're looking for and everything is quick. Xbone went the Netflix approach and made everything look pretty but the end users have to sit through that lag when they scroll or switch through menus.

Xbox 360 had an amazing interface. Why did they try to fix something that wasn't broken?

I am picking up the GotY edition on Boxing week. Missed it on black friday cause I already bought 5 games then.

I reset my console and it seems to have improved a bit. It's still not as smooth as I'd like it, but its better and not too bad anymore. I'm actually enjoying the console. I just bought Gears 4 yesterday for 24$ and it came with all the Gears before it for free, I didn't know that. My Xbone also came with a month trial of EA access so I have some games on there I can play too. I also bought the Rare replay and Gears Ultimate Edition combo so I have plenty of games to play on there atm.

Not that I needed more, lol. I still have FF15 and The Last Guardian over on the PS4 to get through.

Don't forget your free games with gold. You also get free xbox 360 BC games too. Sleeping Dogs definitive edition is free as is Outlast and Burnout Paradise.

Back