Just bought an Xbox One S

FightsFTW

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So this is my first Xbone, I managed to get a brand new one for cheap, I got the sexy white model which I am quite pleased with the look and size of. I do however have some concerns and I'd like to ask if its normal.

So I opened the bad boy up and set it up, updated it, and logged in to LIVE. I did have a 360 previously for awhile until it broke on me so the whole xbox experience isn't completely new to me. With that said, as I'm browsing the xbox trying to see what it can do and downloading some trials and games...etc. I did notice that its noticeably laggy when navigating the menus. I am primarily a PS4 user and coming from there where the menus are silky smooth for the most part, it is pretty annoying. This is supposed to be the S model Xbone too which is said to be a more powerful and capable console.

So what gives? Did I get a faulty console or is this what I can expect? I bought this for the exclusives I missed and because I hear its a pretty sweet media machine, which I must say it does have some cool features that I like and want to explore. So far initial first impressions are kinda meh, tbh.

I have regular XB1 and the menus are a sometimes laggy for me.

is it laggy, or is just the sound lagging behind the motion?

could be having too many apps open at once, especially if one is streaming video

If it's sound, it's probably the Bistream option selected, try changing from DTS to DD or vice versa and see if that helps

is it laggy, or is just the sound lagging behind the motion?

could be having too many apps open at once, especially if one is streaming video

If it's sound, it's probably the Bistream option selected, try changing from DTS to DD or vice versa and see if that helps

Not just the sound, its the menus, when navigating through the menus and especially the store, it'll stop for a split second before moving the cursor to where I commanded it. It'll do it multiple times too.

How do I see how many apps I have open at once? And how do I close them.

Not just the sound, its the menus, when navigating through the menus and especially the store, it'll stop for a split second before moving the cursor to where I commanded it. It'll do it multiple times too.

How do I see how many apps I have open at once? And how do I close them.
if you hit the menu button (I think it's menu, the one w/ three parallel lines to the right of the xbox/power button) on an app, if it's open it will give you the option to close it

if you hit the menu button (I think it's menu, the one w/ three parallel lines to the right of the xbox/power button) on an app, if it's open it will give you the option to close it

Is there any way to check and see all the open apps at once?

that could be some input lag, although I doubt it will cause enough to lag too noticeable

Do you have Dynamic Contrast, motion smoothing, or any other special options turned 'on' in your TV or monitor?

or perhaps pass through the HDMI on an A/V Receiver for sound?

that could be some input lag, although I doubt it will cause enough to lag too noticeable

Do you have Dynamic Contrast, motion smoothing, or any other special options turned 'on' in your TV or monitor?

or perhaps pass through the HDMI on an A/V Receiver for sound?

I even have gaming mode turned on, which reduces any input lag. It's not my tv, its the console. I have the exact same tv setup for my ps4 and the menus are smooth there. I was just trying to figure out if I had a faulty console or if its the norm. It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

Thanks for the help though, as long as I don't have any lag during my gaming time, I don't care too much.

I've noticed it slightly on my xbone, but never for any games or streaming, only the tiles/menu system

it usually fixes itself if I reset the console

I've noticed it slightly on my xbone, but never for any games or streaming, only the tiles/menu system

it usually fixes itself if I reset the console

Yeah that's what I was referring to, its only in the menus, haven't had any problems in the games or videos I've tried. It's annoying, but its not a huge deal.

I haven't spent much time on a PS4 in the menus (about 10 minutes while watching my younger cousins) so I don't remember much about it, but on the XBONE it seems that everytime you change to a different section it has to download a bunch of shit from online. Connect to the XBox store and shit.

I haven't spent much time on a PS4 in the menus (about 10 minutes while watching my younger cousins) so I don't remember much about it, but on the XBONE it seems that everytime you change to a different section it has to download a bunch of shit from online. Connect to the XBox store and shit.

That could be it, maybe it doesn't hold much in the cache, instead it just re-downloads shit. Who knows, but in comparison the PS4 menus are buttery smooth.

Have a white 2tb S and i don't have these issues. Although i wish both the PS4 and X1 went back to simplistic UI's and didn't have so many ad's running, i feel its unnecessary and can lead to problems like this.

The way the store is organized compared to 360 is shit also, its better now than it was the first year or so but still not great.

You can also refresh your menus, push RT, LT and Y at the same time i think.

Welcome to the Xbox family.

I am on a first gen BONE and I have a bit of lag but not to an annoying level like you are describing. I periodically hard reset my console though. I would recommend you do the same with your S. Hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. Should work the same.

Unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug back in and check. A hard reset is needed sometimes. Same thing happened with my original xbox 2 years ago. It seemed laggy right out of the box. I did a hard reset and all was well after that.

Also, it's good to do a hard reset every few days or so, if your console is set to Instant On, which mine is. Otherwise, it will lag.

Welcome to the Xbox family.

I am on a first gen BONE and I have a bit of lag but not to an annoying level like you are describing. I periodically hard reset my console though. I would recommend you do the same with your S. Hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. Should work the same.

Not a fan of the instant on feature. I have that feature turned off for this reason. I don't like the idea that the xbox is basically on 24/7 whether it's being used or not.

Also, it's basically a computer, which means a complete reboot/restart will clear memory issues and unused processes like a regular PC. This doesn't happen with the Instant On feature enabled. The only downside is that it takes extra time to start it up... like maybe 60-90 seconds? Which doesn't bother me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back