Junior Dos Santos - S&C Training

Seems like sboone is projecting.

i was totally distracted by the glimpse of sideboob from the hot blonde

edit: damn you Fighting Sprite!!

I swear the video of Dos Santos almost looks fake. Not that he's not lifting the weight but rather that he's just doing stuff for show. The split squats, deadlifts, and close grip bench all look pretty easy as if he's using an easy weight so he can do lots of reps for the camera.

Probably some of that, and probably a bit of an actual shift to muscular endurance when you're getting closer to the fight

I didn't start this thread to bash, I thought that was apparent.
I thought it was actually decent, I have seen some pretty awful routines.
[YT]kmlzULjeVfc[/YT]
Yeah that is right, DL to teh gaga

[YT]kmlzULjeVfc[/YT]

Nice.

I always liked the barncat. Wish he still fought.

[YT]kmlzULjeVfc[/YT]

Gaaahhhh... I flinched when he pulled that. Holy rounded back.

Yea a lot of successful fighters have routines like this. I guess it goes to show how much skill training and hard work matter in MMA compared to the more or less insignificant goals of optimizing S+C.

Yea a lot of successful fighters have routines like this. I guess it goes to show how much skill training and hard work matter in MMA compared to the more or less insignificant goals of optimizing S+C.

I guess there is a competitive or comparative element to it. If everyone else is doing suboptimal stuff, it is easier to get away with it yourself.

I guess there is a competitive or comparative element to it. If everyone else is doing suboptimal stuff, it is easier to get away with it yourself.

One of the reasons asking how a specific fighter trains is a Banned Subject is because, "Many fighters succeed in spite of their S&C rather than because of it."

One of the reasons asking how a specific fighter trains is a Banned Subject is because, "Many fighters succeed in spite of their S&C rather than because of it."

Hasn't that language been taken out now? Personally I feel it is too strong. Just because training isn't optimal, doesn't mean you don't benefit.

Jaunty be layin it down up in here !

Really have no comment on this. If JDS trains like that (which some are implying is inefficient) and still knocks guys out on the regular, then what's the problem?

Hasn't that language been taken out now? Personally I feel it is too strong. Just because training isn't optimal, doesn't mean you don't benefit.

I honestly don't know, I haven't read the Stickies/FAQ in a while. I still think it's fairly accurate and relevant.

I only watched it once the first day it got posted, and I don't really want to watch it again, but I don't remember the training being bad. He was doing deadlifts, one leg split squats, close grip bench, db rows, lat pulldowns, running on a treadmill, etc... It looked like he was using light weight because of the camera. Of course the program could have used alot more shrugs and calf raises, but I'm assuming those were in there and just not shown on camera.

Not watching the video, but does JDS still train with that Alejarra guy?

That guy is a complete hack. Lew Polley quit JDS's TUF coaching staff partly because Alejarra was such a dunce.

So whatever JDS is doing now, as long as he got rid of that guy, it is probably an improvement.

One thing to take into consideration is that new lifters can get fairly strong by doing anything. As Rip likes to say a completely untrained lifter can increase his bench by riding a bike. Obviously that's a bit of hyperbole but the point is that any half-decent training program will build a decent base of strength for a new lifter and for someone who isn't competing in a strength sport they might not need to get much past the noob gains stage to be "strong enough".

One thing to take into consideration is that new lifters can get fairly strong by doing anything. As Rip likes to say a completely untrained lifter can increase his bench by riding a bike. Obviously that's a bit of hyperbole but the point is that any half-decent training program will build a decent base of strength for a new lifter and for someone who isn't competing in a strength sport they might not need to get much past the noob gains stage to be "strong enough".

And this is the base of success for pretty much every mass marketed exercise "program". You went from doing nothing.... to doing something.....

Back