Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

I don't think it was just the head butt, sparring partners mentioned McClellan having to stop sparring because he got hit and showing the same non-stop blinking that he did in the Benn fight. Clearly there was a neurological problem already.
heard that so many times there must be something to it.

I think his chin became more noticeable when he stopped boxing and thought he was just a KO artist.

I think it was Simon Brown that straightened him out.
he had no chin, he was dropped and/or hurt all the time. It's amazing what a fighter with no chin can do. I didn't like him at the time, thought he had an attitude but I feel for him today. Good fighter, great blend of speed and power, not so great on stance and defense. I still think Sugar Ray must have not trained to not even be able to land a real punch on Terry, he looked like he hadn't trained at all and although he was old for the era, he was only 34 or so.

he had no chin, he was dropped and/or hurt all the time. It's amazing what a fighter with no chin can do. I didn't like him at the time, thought he had an attitude but I feel for him today. Good fighter, great blend of speed and power, not so great on stance and defense. I still think Sugar Ray must have not trained to not even be able to land a real punch on Terry, he looked like he hadn't trained at all and although he was old for the era, he was only 34 or so.

I agree he had a weak chin and lousy recovery, but when he was on, he was hard to beat. Crisp power and excellent boxing. It took the Brown loss to wake him up and drop the flat-footed, power punching persona. He put an absolute clinic on Simon in the rematch.

I don’t think it was long after he completely burned out. It was strange. I forget who he fought, but he literally burned out overnight.

I agree he had a weak chin and lousy recovery, but when he was on, he was hard to beat. Crisp power and excellent boxing. It took the Brown loss to wake him up and drop the flat-footed, power punching persona. He put an absolute clinic on Simon in the rematch.

I don’t think it was long after he completely burned out. It was strange. I forget who he fought, but he literally burned out overnight.
It's a good thing he didn't fight Trinidad the way they were planning after he started to show wear.

anyone with a chin like that, or Morrison, or Roy is very fortunate not to get completely unmasked a lot more and a lot sooner. I hated Norris, not many fighters I hate but I didn't like his attitude and with every fight, with every mediocrity who'd either stagger or knock him down, i would wait on pins and needles for him to get kayoed. He was versatile for sure but he was overly aggressive and very dirty, I think he was dq'd at least twice wasn't he? I don't like guys like that, and you don't see that many of them at that level. That's more common in your weekend warrior/boxercise/martial arts clubs than it is at the elite level of boxing.

I feel badly for him today though and he seems a different man, maybe because of his brain issues. I recall Marvelous Marvin had a photo on his facebook with Norris, some idiot fan said something about his brain damage and Hagler told the guy he had no class.

Back