Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

As overrated as Meldrick Taylor's speed, Aaron Pryor's stamina and Marvin Hagler's chin.

Everyone is acting like McClellen knocked out Julian with one punch in the first round Tyson style, he didn't, it took McClellen 5 rounds of flush power punches and a flush right hand hook /uppercut from hell that almost knocked Julian out of the ropes and ring, when he got hit in the middle of the ring and Jackson still got up and was knocked down again and still got up, being counted out while on his feet.

Remember McClellan could punch like Jackson and was a serious knoukout power puncher himself.

Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClellan

Gerald McClellan
Boxing record
Total fights 34
Wins 31
Wins by KO 29
Losses 3

Julian Jackson
Boxing record
Total fights 61
Wins 55
Wins by KO 49
Losses 6

The boxing knockout record alone, combined with fighting everyone and not ducking anybody would tell you Jackson could punch like nobody in the history of boxing for his size and weight and only a few other boxers could even say they hit just as hard as Jackson did, or maybe harder.

Both guys have over a 50% knockout percentage and almost perfect knockout percentage and people are questioning knockout power and greatness, Wow!

Julian Jackson didn't have a china chin, like i said he didn't have a defense.

People bring up the McClellan fight like it some proof that Jackson couldn't KO everyone BUT what happened to McClellan after he had fought Jackson? He suffered traumatic brain damage vs. Nigel Benn. To my mind the punches that he took from Jackson did him long term damage.

I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. And even then, Norris managed to get up from getting hit. If Jackson really hit as hard as people say, he would have knocked Norris out cold. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?
Just how does this discredit JJ's power? And Just about all sluggers like Jackson have more brutal KO's against weaker opponents.

Wilder? (Not that im a fan of his)
Wilder has a couple other things going for him, the fact that he is at hw ( which is generally a shallower talent pool than many of the other weight classes), an abnormal athletic ability, and most notably a very unorthodox style that makes him very unpredictable.

But there are a lot of bums in boxing with great chins, rarely getting KOd, but records with lots of losses.

Then there are great fighters with suspect chins.

So even if they were all bums it would do little to undermine his KO power

Power never really carries you at the elite level. It'll get you there but at the top, you're going to fight guys who have been hit hard and have the technique to deal with it.

Anything by itself can get anyone to the top level.

Even great defensive fighters need to know how to steal rounds, they can't just dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge for 3 minutes.

Power gets ridiculed by some for being a cop-out (don't internalize this as some comment aimed directly at you), but the truth is that it's like any attribute being leaned on like a crutch - evetually it gives out. Gamboa's speed, for example, could only get him so far.

If a fighter walked in with an Einstein mind for boxing but nothing else, it would, ironically, get him nowhere in the face of absolute physicality.

Why did every fight he lost was by KO/TKO?
tenor.gif

He took Herol Graham’s soul as well!

I don’t think it’s over rated, but I think he was fairly reliant on it as he wasn’t the best boxer at his weight. McClellan was much more dangerous as he carried almost as much power as Jackson (I personally think he hit as hard), and could land his shots more often as he was a much better all round fighter
ya, and some people blame mclellans strange behavior on that brutal Jackson rematch where he took some bombs. In those days, there were plenty of talented, lesser known fighters like Julian, (mccallum is another) who the real stars had no interest in so they made do with what they had. he didn't get the oppurtunity to fight any of the big names.

i wish i had recorded it, but i once talked to mccallum about their fight and he said jackson had crazy power. he said thats why he tried to knock him out so fast because he didnt like getting hit by him. he was laughing talking about one punch he got hit with, he showed me and was saying "look at my back leg, you can see it started shaking right after he hit me. I almost went down right there."

Even great defensive fighters need to know how to steal rounds, they can't just dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge for 3 minutes.

Power gets ridiculed by some for being a cop-out (don't internalize this as some comment aimed directly at you), but the truth is that it's like any attribute being leaned on like a crutch - evetually it gives out. Gamboa's speed, for example, could only get him so far.

If a fighter walked in with an Einstein mind for boxing but nothing else, it would, ironically, get him nowhere in the face of absolute physicality.
i wish i had recorded it, but i once talked to mccallum about their fight and he said jackson had crazy power. he said thats why he tried to knock him out so fast because he didnt like getting hit by him. he was laughing talking about one punch he got hit with, he showed me and was saying "look at my back leg, you can see it started shaking right after he hit me. I almost went down right there."
that's right, he hurt him, mccallum won with his expertise and skill. a perfect example of a young, talented fighter vs. the older, more seasoned guy who knows how to take his time and not be too eager to prove anything.

that's right, power will take you only so far, to the guy who can evade you or take your best shot. that's why boxing is all about styles, what's amazing about Ali was, he was so very limited yet he fought and beat all styles and even fought in styles he wasn't great at to win. Dempsey said about one of his fights that he knew he couldn't win on the outside so he won on the inside, sometimes you have to do things you may or may not be great at to pull out the win. Ali won fights like the third frazier fight as a brawler even though he could never even put Joe down, he didn't just dance around and shoot his jab.

that's right, power will take you only so far, to the guy who can evade you or take your best shot. that's why boxing is all about styles, what's amazing about Ali was, he was so very limited yet he fought and beat all styles and even fought in styles he wasn't great at to win. Dempsey said about one of his fights that he knew he couldn't win on the outside so he won on the inside, sometimes you have to do things you may or may not be great at to pull out the win. Ali won fights like the third frazier fight as a brawler even though he could never even put Joe down, he didn't just dance around and shoot his jab.

People bring up the McClellan fight like it some proof that Jackson couldn't KO everyone BUT what happened to McClellan after he had fought Jackson? He suffered traumatic brain damage vs. Nigel Benn. To my mind the punches that he took from Jackson did him long term damage.
Agree. I think Jackson permanently dented Terry Norris chin too.

Exactly OP is not taking into account how hard it is for a Light Middle Weight who weighs about 11 stone to punch and KO people the way Jackson was doing it.

He was knocking people out like he was a Heavy weight, the torque in his punches for an 11 stone man was insane.

But there are a lot of bums in boxing with great chins, rarely getting KOd, but records with lots of losses.

Then there are great fighters with suspect chins.

So even if they were all bums it would do little to undermine his KO power
sure there are but usually, when young prospects with long kayo streaks step up, their kayo ratio usually goes down. tyson not only didn't kayo Tillis, he arguably lost to him too.

Agree. I think Jackson permanently dented Terry Norris chin too.
If you watch the end of the fight, McCallum in the interview says that Jackson hits hard and I got a bad headache, I might go and stay in my room for two or three days. Everyone chuckles but I don't think he meant that as a joke. Tyson said after his fight with Lennox, he stayed in his room for awhile because he couldn't stand light or sounds. McCallum's comment ,with what we know about concussion syndrome, makes it sound like he had been rocked before and knew what was coming in terms of symptoms.

sure there are but usually, when young prospects with long kayo streaks step up, their kayo ratio usually goes down. tyson not only didn't kayo Tillis, he arguably lost to him too.

This is a valid point though... what you're saying.
If OP were to say something like this, I wouldn't disagree with him..

This is a valid point though... what you're saying.
If OP were to say something like this, I wouldn't disagree with him..
i remember milton mcrory won 17 fights by kayo but once he started fighting for titles his power really started looking pretty unimpressive. that's fairly common.

Back