Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

I disagree here I think it was that brutal headbutt from Benn that did him in. The first fight was a little back and forth but an early KO and the second fight was a complete blitz.

Probably true, but McClellan's head did take a beating from Kronk sparring sessions against the likes of Tommy Hearns, and he ate Jackson's power flush like no man I've ever seen.

McClellan's only defense was literally his granite chin, which seemed to have no off-switch. He didn't really even roll with the punches like a lot of the other notable tough guys, he just ate them.

It's said the boxer beats the puncher.

That is, as long as the boxer doesn't have any apparent flaws to take advantage of. Herol Graham was a good, solid boxer with great reflexes, who gave a lot of people fits, but he kept his hands low and his chin up, even at punching range. We all know how that ended up.

He deserves his power accolades.

When I was young, I was a big fan of Mugabi. John was a killer, but Julian shut people off like a switch.
The first time I remember getting butterflies in my stomach watching a KO was by Jackson. I was sure the guy was permanently disabled.

I disagree here I think it was that brutal headbutt from Benn that did him in. The first fight was a little back and forth but an early KO and the second fight was a complete blitz.
I don't think it was just the head butt, sparring partners mentioned McClellan having to stop sparring because he got hit and showing the same non-stop blinking that he did in the Benn fight. Clearly there was a neurological problem already.

I don't think it was just the head butt, sparring partners mentioned McClellan having to stop sparring because he got hit and showing the same non-stop blinking that he did in the Benn fight. Clearly there was a neurological problem already.

yeah I think it was an accumulation, and the benn fight was the straw that broke the camels back. Sparring like that is fuckin madness tbh. And from the 2nd round benn was landing his right hand at will. If not that fight it would have happened sooner or later

Big Julian Jackson fan and being an oldie remember watching Herol Graham getting knocked out cold - after he was boxing his ears off. I also agree with others that even though McClellan won JJ punches more than likely started his sad decline. I think JJ is at least p4p top 10 hardest punchers ever. No I don't have a list to hand

Julian-Jackson-with-belt-.jpg

His hair game is still strong too....

Reactions: HHJ
Lol no, not that.

Because you got butterflies in your stomach from someone being permanently disabled.
I don't think I would have been any more worried for the guy if Julian had blasted him with a shotgun. Nowadays I'm a hardened fan and don't get panicked by a little involuntary twitching...:D
<{JustBleed}>

I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. And even then, Norris managed to get up from getting hit. If Jackson really hit as hard as people say, he would have knocked Norris out cold. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?

I don't buy that norris had a "notoriously weak chin." Jackson was the first to stop him (his chin wasn't cracked yet), and norris was only ever stopped one more before the final 3 fight skid nearly 10 years later that ended his career.

I don't buy that norris had a "notoriously weak chin." Jackson was the first to stop him (his chin wasn't cracked yet), and norris was only ever stopped one more before the final 3 fight skid nearly 10 years later that ended his career.
I think he had a weak chin. When he boxed on his toes though he was hard to hit.

I think his chin became more noticeable when he stopped boxing and thought he was just a KO artist.

I think it was Simon Brown that straightened him out.

Back