Juilliard Jazz Prof Hears Nirvana For The First Time & Chad Smith Hears Thirty Seconds To Mars For The First Time

Eh. I dunno why everybody think a classical musician at Julliard is gonna recognize an mtv grunge song from the 90's. It was obvious from his drumming he didnt recognize it.

Chad Smith is a beast. Theres one with Sugarfoot from Michael jacksons band that awesome.
When the guy was 12 Nirvana were basically the biggest rock band in the world, you don't think a guy who's that into drums would've managed to avoid MTV and the radio and people at school during his formative years?

When the guy was 12 Nirvana were basically the biggest rock band in the world, you don't think a guy who's that into drums would've managed to avoid MTV and the radio and people at school during his formative years?
He didn't say he didn't know who Nirvana was, and he recognized the band name. He just didn't know the song. A 30 year old song that was big on the MTV scene (and even then, Teen Spirit was the smash hit) Maybe he did hear it at one point. But it's not his type of music so why would he care?

How many country hits would you recognize from 30 years ago? Or some genre of music you didn't care for?

I was in high school around that time. There's plenty of big bands that had huge songs that I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
So because jazz is modern music he must know Nirvana?

Or you did not get my point?
If you are into a certain music style and maybe even playing you might have piss poor knowledge of other types of musics.
No but I mean Nirvana has been everywhere. Like no way the dudes never heard it on the radio or been somewhere it was playing at.

Nirvana also sucks. There I said it

No but I mean Nirvana has been everywhere. Like no way the dudes never heard it on the radio or been somewhere it was playing at.

The title makes it sound like he's never heard of Nirvana. But he knew the band and Dave Grohl. Just not the song.

I went to High School with dudes with cowboy hats and belt buckles the size of hubcaps. I wager a fair amount of them wouldn't know a single Nirvana song.

The title makes it sound like he's never heard of Nirvana. But he knew the band and Dave Grohl. Just not the song.

I went to High School with dudes with cowboy hats and belt buckles the size of hubcaps. I wager a fair amount of them wouldn't know a single Nirvana song.
I’m sure they would recognize teen spirit or heart shaped box. You would have to pretty much live off the grid to not have heard those songs enough times to recognize them

To my knowledge I have heard 1 (one) song of Taylor Swift.
I to my knowledge have never heard a coldplay song.

Could I have heard them with out knowing and/or in the background or driving listening to the radio? Well yes of course.

There is a difference.
Haven heard it and knowing it and maybe have heard it on the radio some time during your life time.

Also I find it plausible that a black dude that focus on jazz never really listen to Nirvana

Also what about Moffet?
I posted his video in here.
Dude claims to never have heard Numb by Linkin Park.

If you are a jazz drummer?
I am on the fence my self. but growing up I had a friend that played classical music (grand piano) the dude was completely lost when it came to modern music.
Yap, friend of mine studied drums and percussion and was the shittiest Rick drummer.

As a rock/ punk drummer myself the jazz guy is truly horrible on energy, rhythm, and “feel” and completely out of his Elment missing entries, using same easy tact and putting in too fancy whirls with delay etc.

I believe he never heard nirvana. I never heard or can’t remember mötley crew, any Bruce Springsteen shit besides born in the USA etc.

At the end he even acknowledged the power of Dave’s drumming, which was fucking great.

Reactions: lsa
EDIT: I see everyone beat me to it.

Yeah Im sure someone who went to julliard has gone 30 years without ever hearing one of the most popular songs in the last 30 years. Anyone who watches videos like this and believes them need to be launched into the sun.

Chad Smith not listening to 30 seconds to mars is much more believable because they are awful but Im sure hes still heard the song somewhere.
In bloom is not one of the most popular songs ever. LOL

To my knowledge I have heard 1 (one) song of Taylor Swift.
I to my knowledge have never heard a coldplay song.

Could I have heard them with out knowing and/or in the background or driving listening to the radio? Well yes of course.

There is a difference.
Haven heard it and knowing it and maybe have heard it on the radio some time during your life time.

Also I find it plausible that a black dude that focus on jazz never really listen to Nirvana

Also what about Moffet?
I posted his video in here.
Dude claims to never have heard Numb by Linkin Park.
But have you heard that song about body hair? I remembered the guy who posted it is from Iceland, but I don't know if the band is also from there.

• Haha
Reactions: lsa
But have you heard that song about body hair? I remembered the guy who posted it is from Iceland, but I don't know if the band is also from there.

There are bands on Iceland?
I am starting to think you imagine it all.
Its all in your head

It's possible that he's heard of Nirvana, but only heard a few of their songs.

Am no drummer but boy hes quick with tempo not really listening to the looong stretched out singing and chords. The drums oughta fit within that structure right ?. But he plays it waaay fast.

I think the black dude is playing it up. He probably heard this song before unless he is very young.

A new one just dropped. Portnoy covering a Nickelback song. So much fun.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Most black musicians started out with gospel/church music, doing funk/RnB on the side before jumping into jazz. Him not knowing Nirvana is the same as me not knowing any hip hop/rap.

I dont listen to the radio or listen to anything taylor swift at all, but i know who she is and have heard 1 or 2 of her songs in random places. Its almost impossible not to unless you dont go out at all and literally live under a rock. There have been some artists that are known almost universally in history, especially if you live in the western world. Nirvana is certainly one of those.

Jazz prof says damn they gave up hair metal for this miserable shit hell I feel dirty just listening to it......runs off to take multiple showers.
Atleast their drummer turned out ok

Back