judo: venting steam!

Bob_Shamrock

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok sherdoggers,

I'm just gonna vent some steam!

I was at judo last night and we did a LOT of randori (throws). The deal was I just wasn't in the mood for throws so i just stood on the side and didnt do anything. this green belt comes over (old guy) and asks " are you training?". He then goes onto say "you're not going to get any better standing on the side"...

I was really p*ssed off and still am. Then when we're rolling, I just grapped his lapel, went to shove my elbow into his chest and he immediately says "go easy". I was like WTF?!

then he was in my guard and I was trying to go for a shoulder lock (like mir v pete williams), but I was too scared to open my guard and do it properly and this guy is talking to me and saying "if I get a chance, i'll go for the choke".

I was like, have you been smoking something? there was no choke on and all he has was a bit of my GI and was shoving his knuckles into my jaw/side of my face.

training last night really got to me and i saw a lot of arrogance at that club. Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

I think I'm just gonna stick with BJJ now and MMA. Just gotta practice my flying armbars!

Bob

p.s. post your thoughts and comments.

Bob_Shamrock said:
Ok sherdoggers,

I'm just gonna vent some steam!

I was at judo last night and we did a LOT of randori (throws). The deal was I just wasn't in the mood for throws so i just stood on the side and didnt do anything. this green belt comes over (old guy) and asks " are you training?". He then goes onto say "you're not going to get any better standing on the side"...

I was really p*ssed off and still am. Then when we're rolling, I just grapped his lapel, went to shove my elbow into his chest and he immediately says "go easy". I was like WTF?!

then he was in my guard and I was trying to go for a shoulder lock (like mir v pete williams), but I was too scared to open my guard and do it properly and this guy is talking to me and saying "if I get a chance, i'll go for the choke".

I was like, have you been smoking something? there was no choke on and all he has was a bit of my GI and was shoving his knuckles into my jaw/side of my face.

training last night really got to me and i saw a lot of arrogance at that club. Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

I think I'm just gonna stick with BJJ now and MMA. Just gotta practice my flying armbars!

Bob

p.s. post your thoughts and comments.
My take: Sounds like you couldnt be bothered training & decided to sit it out.

Then you took exception to someone in essence telling you you were a pussy for sitting it out & decided to try and take it out on them in anger & they told you to lighten up.

Now you realise you were just being a pussy and whinging and you're trying to justify your own behaviour by suggesting not only are the people at the club are arrogant, but since judo is a dying sport anyway - you're better off just quitting.

IMO, in training you are always "in the mood" for working on whatever the instructor tells you to work on.
And the other guy was right, standing on the side won

Seriously Bob, why get pissed about someone telling you you wont get better just looking from the sidelines? They were right!

Unless you were feeling really sick or were completely gassed: why not participate? I dont know many fighters who'd accept someone belonging to a class just sitting it out because they "just didnt feel like throwing". I'dve done the same if a classmate was just sitting out for no reason. Reckon your BJJ instructor'd accept "Oh, I just dont FEEL like this part of the class tonight"???

We all have days where we just dont feel like participating but if you dont wanna participate - dont go to training!

If the training is too difficult, or you're not "getting it" or you've had a bad day & are not motivated - dont blame it on everyone & everything else - it's not THEIR fault.

You just have to accept that the progress is not a straight line - there are ups & downs & you just have to ride out the downs. No biggie.

The good grades are not the best - they're whose left.

Judogido, I seriously, just didn't feel like practising my throws that night. That guy had no right to say that to me as some people do sit out for whatever reasons they have.

and I wasn't taking my aggression out on the guy, I had just started ground work and just went to take grips with him! literally within 1 sec he told me to go easy....to me that read like double standards. I wasn't taking it out on the guy, thats just how I am on the ground.

I wasn't blaming anything on anyone...just saying that a lot of higher belts have a lot of arrogance about them. This green belt saw me with my white belt and thats why he spoke to me like that.

No need for that type of language either judogido...well i suppose its accepted down under! jus joking. lol

Bob

If you weren't in the mood for throws, what the hell were you doing at a Judo club? You really should take a good look at your attitude.

Not wanting to train Throws in Randori (free practice) makes me wonder why you even would go to judo class.

Training with an bad attitude or (being pissed off) as you put it is never a good idea for your own sake and for the sake of your training partners.

Sounds like you are the typical dumbass whitebelt. Goodjob. And if you are any higher ranked, you just embarrased the shit out of yourself.

Going to a judo class when you are not in the mood for throws is like going to a brothel when you

Agree with Darwinist & Cynic
Why attend judo class when you're not in the mood ... Why do groundwork, but no throwing ... ???

For the part on 'going a bit easier' ... it is still practice, not competition ... wouldn't be the first time someone got hurt because of a training partner that doesn't want to go a bit easier --> learn to control your emotions, keep in mind that you are training with people, not dummy dolls

Why do you say judo is dying? I think it is still a beautiful sport with spectacular throws and solid groundwork ... but hey, that's just my opinion!

I'm planning on picking up BJJ/MMA classes next year, hope they don't have your attitude ("dude, i'm not in the mood, go throw something else, a fishing line perhaps" ;-) ) when it comes to throwing ... :p

C'mon bob, that's just ridiculous. As a whitebelt you really aren't in a position to decide what you "would like to do" during the class unless you have an injury. Sometimes you might not realise that you're not in the mood for training until the class has started, but then you've just got to bite your teeth together and take it. You wouldn't just stand on the side during BJJ or MMA-training, would you?

Don't take everything so personally, that old dude was right when he commented your behaviour. Imagine what it looks like to them if they're throwing each others tasting blood in their mouths and some new guy just stands beside the wall? And every now and then you come across with arrogant people, well, life is, get over it. Just ignore them and train. Not that the old dude would've sounded arrogant to me, I would've done the same thing.

PS. If someone wants to take it easy, ask if s/he has an injury or upcoming comptetition, if no, then just smile and say that the instructor will notice if you're being lazy.
PPS. You need to show respect to old people. It's not like they would be in the best shape of their life, so ease off a little when rolling with them.

Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

Please...

Peace, and keep on training.

Bob_Shamrock said:
Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

Judo has been olympic sport since 1964..

Randori means "throwing"?

Man, I was all fucked up...

And yeah, Judo's founder laid the groundwork to make it an Olympic sport. It's been an Olympic sport since its infancy. It's only one hundred and twenty-three years old, and at that time it was still just Kano-Ryu Jujitsu.

Anyway, all in all, this is a silly thread. I have my frustrations with Judo classes, but still got on the mat for everything even in my least favorite clubs. If you're not liking your club, find a new one.

stephensharp said:
Randori means "throwing"?

No, Randori means free sparring in general. The term is also used in Karate if I

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is in the mail along with my gaydar.

stephensharp said:
Pssst... sarcasm.

That's just one of my pet peeves about Judo clubs I've been to, calling either nagewaza (throwing techniques) or newaza (ground techniques) "Standing Randori" or "Mat Randori". If randori is "free sparring", then it is that... IN randori, you should even be practicing non-competition techniques (with an eye to safety, of course). True randori would resemble BJJ's ground game, just to keep people sharp and well rounded, and the stand up would have numerous elements of Sambo still in there. There are a number of moves banned from competition, but they wouldn't even be mentioned anymore if we weren't supposed to practice them, so why limit things further by having randori broken down in to components?

Some guys call it "randori" when the instructor has everyone get in a position, and one guy is only to escape, and the other is to submit him. That's not randori, it's not newaza... It's a technique drill.

Shenanigans.
must just be your places to attend for those drills that call it randori.

and newaza is good for judo as alot of the time, people just do standing and then turtle up like babies :-D

Steeltwo said:
must just be your places to attend for those drills that call it randori.

and newaza is good for judo as alot of the time, people just do standing and then turtle up like babies :-D

Newaza should be practiced a LOT more. I always loved newaza, and now in BJJ, only my instructor can really sweep me. In the LEAST you practice is weight distribution and pins, it will bring your game up.

Oh, and also, I brought that up because the OP did it, too. I know it's not jsut me, I've seen misunderstandings all over this board in the past with folks saying "I this and that in randori/ne waza/mat randori", and the other guy is like "Well, we started with me in the triangle... If I could stand up, I could have escaped... I'd own you in randori if e were allowed to stand up".

All rather silly. It's like saying "NHB without the punching"... "Stand Up Vale Tudo"... "Anything Goes Pillow Fight".

Whether you were right or wrong with the sitting out business, people need to mind their own business. If some guy was sitting out during class, I would never make a comment towards him. How the fuck is it my business what he is doing? As long as I

Back