judo: venting steam!

stephensharp said:
Newaza should be practiced a LOT more. I always loved newaza, and now in BJJ, only my instructor can really sweep me. In the LEAST you practice is weight distribution and pins, it will bring your game up.

at my class, we do probly newaza 2-1 over full blown randori

now that I think about it, I do not think we've ever done just standing randori. That would seem kind of pointless, as the whole idea is to throw and pin. Not just throw, then stop and let them back up.

triso said:
Whether you were right or wrong with the sitting out business, people need to mind their own business. If some guy was sitting out during class, I would never make a comment towards him. How the fuck is it my business what he is doing? As long as I

Rickson would not appreciate this Bob.

Bob_Shamrock said:
yeah you're probably right about my comment about judo being made out of anger.

i didnt do anything out of the ordinary on the ground.

i just wasnt in the mood for doing throws that night.

Hey I hear ya man. I come from a wrestling background and we do alot of judo in the grappling system I train in. Sometimes I just dont feel like training it, mainly b/c the learning curve is particurally large in my case. Trying to teach a wrestler Judo is not the easiest thing in the world. But hey I say give alittle longer with the place your training at. I get frustrated with the people I train with sometimes but usually I just need to cool off and then things get back to good.

stop being a pussy.

that's the best advice i could give you. so you're on your period. i know chicks on their flow who dont act as big of a pussy as you've shown. pull the stick out of your ass or drive home. seriously, stop tripping.

Steeltwo said:
at my class, we do probly newaza 2-1 over full blown randori

now that I think about it, I do not think we've ever done just standing randori. That would seem kind of pointless, as the whole idea is to throw and pin. Not just throw, then stop and let them back up.

On the second point, I wholeheartedly agree.

On the first, while you train straight up ne waza twice as much as full on randori, how much time would you say is dedicated to the ground game in the overall picture (my last school, we did ne waza an infinite amount more than full blown randori, as we only once had a sort of informal in class tourney... Other than that, we never did anything that resembled a full on Judo match).

stephensharp said:
On the second point, I wholeheartedly agree.

On the first, while you train straight up ne waza twice as much as full on randori, how much time would you say is dedicated to the ground game in the overall picture (my last school, we did ne waza an infinite amount more than full blown randori, as we only once had a sort of informal in class tourney... Other than that, we never did anything that resembled a full on Judo match).
as for actual teaching hmm

for the first 1 year, 90% standing, 10% on the ground. Alot of the time, I only remember doing throws into kasa gatame and that was the extent of the ground work with almost no submissions.

now it's more like 60 standing with 40 on the ground with a big emphasis on subs.

From my understanding that is how most teach.
The ground game is taught at alot of schools once you hit the green/brown/black stage. With the first few belts, mostly standing practice.

Steeltwo said:
as for actual teaching hmm

for the first 1 year, 90% standing, 10% on the ground. Alot of the time, I only remember doing throws into kasa gatame and that was the extent of the ground work with almost no submissions.

now it's more like 60 standing with 40 on the ground with a big emphasis on subs.

From my understanding that is how most teach.
The ground game is taught at alot of schools once you hit the green/brown/black stage. With the first few belts, mostly standing practice.

I've experienced a bit of that, but also in larger classes where the belts were spread out more, it just never seemed to progress. I'm all for reviewing stuff, but ne waza is almost always the victim.

Not bad for the 60/40 split.

We usually reserve the full on randori until the very end of class when there arent many people on the mat, it is pretty scary to be doing newaza when there is someone being thrown down hard right next to you.

Originally Posted by Bob_Shamrock
yeah you're probably right about my comment about judo being made out of anger.

i didnt do anything out of the ordinary on the ground.

i just wasnt in the mood for doing throws that night.

yea but comeon dude, imagine if you went to a bbj class and said "i dont' feel like rolling, i only want to do takedowns"

Bob_Shamrock said:
Judogido, I seriously, just didn't feel like practising my throws that night. That guy had no right to say that to me as some people do sit out for whatever reasons they have.

and I wasn't taking my aggression out on the guy, I had just started ground work and just went to take grips with him! literally within 1 sec he told me to go easy....to me that read like double standards. I wasn't taking it out on the guy, thats just how I am on the ground.

I wasn't blaming anything on anyone...just saying that a lot of higher belts have a lot of arrogance about them. This green belt saw me with my white belt and thats why he spoke to me like that.

No need for that type of language either judogido...well i suppose its accepted down under! jus joking. lol

Bob
\
I understand exactly dude. One day I went to Boxing training, and I told the class that I didn't feel like training punches that day, and everyone got all pissy and stuff. I just wanted to wait for the stuff that I knew I was good at, you know? I can't understand why you have to train punches every time?!?!

Anyways, good luck dude. Just keep on improving your Judo. if you don't want to work on throws, that's your preorogative. Just because your throws are weak, doesn't mean that your Judo needs improvement. Throws are only a small part of Judo anyways...

I don't think too many throws are used in competiton at all....

Bob, sounds like your the arrogant one. You come to judo and don't want to do what the class is doing? Really I think that that green belt just hurt your ego. You don't like being told what's up by someone who you feel you are better than. Yeah, in a full out fight MMA rules, or maybe even Judo rules it's possible you'd beat him. That doesn't mean he wasn't right though. On his part it may have been some ego too because of his belt level compared to yours, or he may have actually been trying to help you out. Leave your ego at the door so to speak and comments like his won't bother you so.

Bob_Shamrock said:
Ok sherdoggers,

I'm just gonna vent some steam!

I was at judo last night and we did a LOT of randori (throws). The deal was I just wasn't in the mood for throws so i just stood on the side and didnt do anything. this green belt comes over (old guy) and asks " are you training?". He then goes onto say "you're not going to get any better standing on the side"...

I was really p*ssed off and still am. Then when we're rolling, I just grapped his lapel, went to shove my elbow into his chest and he immediately says "go easy". I was like WTF?!

then he was in my guard and I was trying to go for a shoulder lock (like mir v pete williams), but I was too scared to open my guard and do it properly and this guy is talking to me and saying "if I get a chance, i'll go for the choke".

I was like, have you been smoking something? there was no choke on and all he has was a bit of my GI and was shoving his knuckles into my jaw/side of my face.

training last night really got to me and i saw a lot of arrogance at that club. Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

I think I'm just gonna stick with BJJ now and MMA. Just gotta practice my flying armbars!

Bob

p.s. post your thoughts and comments.

Alot of coaches would tell you to go home. When the others are working hard, it looks awfully nice to be able to just say, 'I'll sit this out'. Not much would get done if it were that easy.

How would you have felt if your coach said that?

I also imagine that it can happen in any sport where you don't feel like doing something in particular.

Sounds like you just had one of those nights. Coulda took the nite off or forced yourself to get in there.

Bob_Shamrock said:
Ok sherdoggers,

I was at judo last night and we did a LOT of randori (throws). The deal was I just wasn't in the mood for throws so i just stood on the side and didnt do anything. this green belt comes over (old guy) and asks " are you training?". He then goes onto say "you're not going to get any better standing on the side"...

I was really p*ssed off and still am. Then when we're rolling, I just grapped his lapel, went to shove my elbow into his chest and he immediately says "go easy". I was like WTF?!

then he was in my guard and I was trying to go for a shoulder lock (like mir v pete williams), but I was too scared to open my guard and do it properly and this guy is talking to me and saying "if I get a chance, i'll go for the choke".

I was like, have you been smoking something? there was no choke on and all he has was a bit of my GI and was shoving his knuckles into my jaw/side of my face.

training last night really got to me and i saw a lot of arrogance at that club. Personally, right now, I feel judo is a dieing sport, which got a last minute resuscitation by making it an olympic sport.

I think I'm just gonna stick with BJJ now and MMA. Just gotta practice my flying armbars!

Bob

your a fucking pussy.

Bob, nothing wrong with easing into it. But eventually you're going to have to nut up.

I'm sure you're familiar with the old saying,"Leave your shoes and ego off the mat." Something like that. Don't take that shit personally. You have a goal in mind right? Like: "Someday I'll have a black belt in judo" or bjj or whatever, right? THAT'S what matters. Focus in, ignore the green belt old timer (who probably just wants to help), and train hard. Don't skip your randori unless you have a legitimate injury. It's not as bad as it seems.

Man up, or I'll have Judogido slap you silly.

stephensharp said:
I've experienced a bit of that, but also in larger classes where the belts were spread out more, it just never seemed to progress. I'm all for reviewing stuff, but ne waza is almost always the victim.

Not bad for the 60/40 split.

Hey man didnt realize you were a judo guy.

Bob_Shamrock said:
Ok sherdoggers,

Bob

It sounds like you were acting childish, and wasting your time; Along with everyone else around you.

sounds like you've got an attitude problem.

and judo started to die when it was INTRODUCED into the olympics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back