Josh Thomson: "The UFC did try to re-sign me, but couldn't match Bellator's offer"

He said they couldn't match because of their deals with FOX and Reebok. That implies that the Bellator deal had language regarding sponsors that the Reebok deal makes impossible or the FOX deal puts stipulations on fighters that Bellator isn't. Who knows if it's actually better money in the long run but "couldn't match" is plausible.

Josh isn't top 10. He's lost his last three fights.

I like Josh but this is true. Losing 3 straight isn't good. Hopefully he can string up some wins and come back to the UFC.

UFC is only trying to focus on three fighters right now instead of trying to built up more, Name 10 fighter that UFC is trying to turn into star power :rolleyes:

Are you just exaggerating here? The UFC is really not dependent on a couple fighters. That has been a common misconception for a long time. If you look at the history, you would think they would have got killed by losing GSP, Anderson Silva, Brock, etc. Of course they are really marketing the likes of Conor and Ronda, but the talent is spread all over.

UFC is only trying to focus on three fighters right now instead of trying to built up more, Name 10 fighter that UFC is trying to turn into star power :rolleyes:

Are yout saying they could have build josh as a ufc star....

Could they put language in the contract tgat specfically prohibits things like the reebok deal? Making the contract unmatchable?

Yep I agree. Bellator can thank god but top 10 fighters don't guarantee them ratings. They need stars like Tito and Kimbo those are what have shown to draw big ratings.

Sure, they need stars for the ratings. Top 10 fighters will get them legitimacy though.

No it's not: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/9...dea-of-free-agency-signs-new-8-fight-ufc-deal

From Chad Mendes:

Anybody who's worth a damn to the UFC will be shown $$ in accordance with their worth. Josh Thompson was clearly not worth a damn to the UFC. UFC will always get to keep the majority of the best fighters and that's what matters. The Josh Thompsons and Josh Koschecks of the world can do whatever they want, won't change much of anything.

Bellator is like the MLS, a good place for former top players/fighters to top up their pension while competing against lesser competition.

Good luck to him, but he's not fooling anyone about The UFC not being able to match the Bellator offer.

Not surprising.

Thompson doesn't move needles, but Bellator is far more desperate for "name" fighters to promote than the UFC is.

Arguing the semantics of wouldn't and couldn't is pointless. Of course they "could" match it.

He was making that until he lost three fights. They wouldn't have gave him 85k to stay so that number wasn't on the table for either side I would guess.

He was simply worth more to Bellator than the UFC. JT is on the down slide but he's still solid and has a name.

He just made that to lose to Tony.

Good to see fighters doing what is best for them.

Its all Mma, I cannot complain about having access to many solid fighting events and orgs.

lol I don't believe for one second they couldn't match the Bellator offer. They didn't want to is the thing. They could have paid him more to cancel out any sponsorship money but they choose not to and who blames them he's on a three fight losing streak and was contemplating retirement. Good for Josh though he can get some more money in Bellator and then retire.

semantics, yes no doubt ufc has more money

but simply he wanted X, ufc did not provide, bellator did

Josh is an exciting fighter to watch, but at 36 years of age and losing 4 of the last 5 [1-3 in UFC], I'm pretty sure the UFC wasn't going to pay a lot for him. Coker is making his mark with popular vets at the end of their careers, and so far it's working. I have to admit, I don't watch a lot of Bellator, but when guys like Ortiz, Thomson, Bonner, and soon Fedor are fighting on free TV, I will watch! Kind of like a legends league.

Dana is probably lying but I personally think it's good for fighters to have options. It's gonna suck if we get like 1/2 the top 10 in Bellator or other orgs and 1/2 in the UFC b/c we'll end up with this whole "who's really the best in the world" argument. But for the fighters it's good.

This is a battle of semantics. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC did try to resign him at a lower rate than his previous contract. Bellator could have offered more and the UFC didn't match. Both arguments are true there - UFC did try to resign as Josh says and the UFC really wasn't interested per Dana's quote.

Obviously.

"Creative Writing: Non-fiction" - this thread is why it exists.

Loved watching Josh fight but who needs a top ten fighter when you can put Ronda on a main event and pad the rest of the card with nobodies.

Fuck you Dana.

Bellator has to be looking pretty good right now if you are near the end of your contract and the ufc has decided you're not a favorite child.

Back