Josh Thomson: "The UFC did try to re-sign me, but couldn't match Bellator's offer"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by wowspare, Aug 13, 2015.

1. wowspare

wowspare Brown Belt

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/1...o-sign-fighter-friendly-contract-bellator-mma

This was Dana's response:

I hope more fighters realize that the grass can be greener on the other side.

2. fbgn

fbgn sweeeet kosher transvestite Banned

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Black Belt

damn Dana sounds like he gives literally 0 shits about fighters not named Mcgregor or Ronda Rousey

dude has no value for his overall "staff" whatsoever

4. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

why would the ufc not be interested? Thomson is top ten in the most stacked division, not trying to resign him would be ridiculous, but anyway i imagine thomson will be making some good money in bellator, and i don't see him having an issue with getting some good sponsors, he'll be on the main card every fight.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ufc "doesn't try and match" multiple other fighters in the future. If your not honda or conor, they really don't seem to care.

5. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

lol I don't believe for one second they couldn't match the Bellator offer. They didn't want to is the thing. They could have paid him more to cancel out any sponsorship money but they choose not to and who blames them he's on a three fight losing streak and was contemplating retirement. Good for Josh though he can get some more money in Bellator and then retire.

6. suffersystem

suffersystem Brown Belt

How again is UFC a monopoly if fighters are now able to match and make more in other orgs?

Bellator hopefully is doing things the right way. Don't sign everybody but continue to grab fighters here and there for good prices, develop their brand and promote up and coming talent. If they are smart about it they can slowly grow into a very viable contender to UFC. They are getting there, but if they get too aggressive they could spend more than what they should. Viacom is filthy rich yes, but I haven't seen any indication they are willing to spend tons of cash on bellator.

7. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Josh isn't top 10. He's lost his last three fights.

8. masterless

masterless Sherdog Veteran

I like Josh but your statement is true. He's no star and has no star potential in the UFC. UFC is a business when its all said and done and if Thomson wasn't generating any buzz then maybe he can in Bellator.

9. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Agreed with all of this. If anything Viacom seems more reluctant to spend money. They are doing less shows and no reality TV series.

10. Fox by the Sea

Fox by the Sea Lighthouse keeper Platinum Member

"wouldn't".

11. fractal

fractal 93andbeyond.com

This is just the beginning. As fighter revenue declines due to sponsorship, more fighters will join Bellator. I just hope Bellator can provide proper compensation to these fighters and not withhold on salary and obligations.

12. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Platinum Member

Whatever you need to tell yourself Josh.

UFC could absolutely match Bellator's offer, they just didn't want to.

Bellator certainly isn't going to pay him 85/85 like UFC was when he was on his streak.

Will Brooks only makes 36/36.

Guarantee you Bellator is paying him less than UFC was.

This isn't the begining of anything. This is a typical guy at the end of his career on a three fight losing streak being let go.

If by greener you mean a smaller fight purse, smaller sponsor payouts, less sponsor interest, and fewer available fights, then sure. It's greener.

13. FlowWithTheGo23

FlowWithTheGo23 Black Belt

Has any head of a company ever been caught so consistently in lies as Dana White?

14. Tamriel Terror

my mistake, 2 of those loses were splits and weren't blowouts by any means, i just feel not attempting to match isn't a great choice by the ufc.

15. Malthian

Malthian Purple Belt

The UFC can pretty much match any offer that Bellator puts on the table. The fact is they didn't want to match that offer. You think if Rousey or McGregor were on the open market that the UFC couldn't match Bellator?

Every fighter has a value. Just because one value makes sense for Bellator doesn't mean it makes sense for the UFC.

16. FlowWithTheGo23

Did you even read what he said?

17. Tamriel Terror

yep. its not like bellator isn't paying well to who they consider draws, i think Kongo makes 50k/50k per fight, and that doesn't include sponsors, not to bad for a 40 year old who was a good gatekeeper in the ufc and whose getting easier comp in the 2nd best promotion. If bellator offered a similar deal to the ufc i would take bellator, unless you had teh mindset of having to try and beat the best.

you can probably make more in the ufc in most cases, but i can see the promise of bellator especially if you can manage main card spots and get some sponsors

18. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Platinum Member

Did you?

He sounds like a bitter girlfriend trying to rationalize a breakup that wasn't mutual.

19. Busa

Busa Purple Belt

Not sure why this has any real interest.

UFC probably said exactly that go see what you can get let us know and he did and they were like yeah take it we won't be able to match that. That is the polite thing to say instead of look you have a losing record your not going any were here we are gonna pay you half of what your last contract is which would be insulting. So the UFC is the bad guy even when they treat their fighters good.

20. FlowWithTheGo23

He specifically pointed to the Reebok deal. The sponsorship money he'll be making again in Bellator will be far more than anything the UFC would ever pay him, yet you didn't even acknowledge that (which is a huge variable).