Jose Aldo: "I feel devalued by my income"

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/2...do-says-that-he-feels-devalued-with-his-gains

After Renan Barao has passed through a debate via press about his salary and ending it with a raise, now it's time to a teammate of his do the same. Jose Aldo has expressed to ESPN Brazil his disappointment with his earnings as a UFC champion and he thinks that other fighters are making an undeserved amount money.

"I do feel devalued, for sure. Every fighter dreams to reach a level where he will make good money. I have other thoughts nowadays - I've been around the world, I have a big wide vision about that. At the same time that they give us our business, they could improve it (payment). We bring millions for the company, I'm a very sellable fighter and everybody wants to watch my fights."​

Without citing names, Aldo gave examples of fighters that have incomes higher than athletes in the lower weight divisions.

"We see a lightweight being paid as much as a beginner. We see a heavyweight non-champion and non-title challenger earning a lot more than us. This situation makes us a little sad but I have to keep battling, we can't lose our focus."

He doesn't know what should he do to change this scenario.

"I don't know, man. We kill ourselves in training, we give the best of us to be there give the people a show, bring records to the UFC. We give everything we have but we don't get the recognition we deserve. I don't know what we have to do, if we need to step in there and kill the other guy, I don't know."​

The UFC featherweight champion recognizes the language barrier but don't feel wronged by this element and by the difference of nationality, even if the UFC is an American company.

"I don't know if that is the case. We can feel that it can be bad for guys like me, Renan Barao and Anderson Silva because we can't speak English fluently. What matters inside there is how we fight, not the language. We have to negotiate. Who takes care of this for me is Dede Pederneiras. I'm there to give what people want to see."
Jose Aldo will defend his UFC 145-pound belt again at the main event of the UFC 176 on August 2. His opponent will be Chad Mendes one more time, the title challenger knocked out by Aldo at UFC 142 back on January of 2012.

Right now Aldo is on a 120k/120k contract. I do agree that he should be payed more

Robbie Lawler almost makes as much as him.
It's pretty sad;;

lol at a fighter complaining about 120k/120k with an entitlement to PPV points on top

cry me a river Jose

I'm not sure what the answer is, it has to be very frustrating to be one of the best fighters in the world below 170lbs.

lol at a fighter complaining about 120k/120k with an entitlement to PPV points on top

cry me a river Jose

He just wants what he is worth. He makes millions for someone else. If you made someone else that tyoe of money you would expect to be paid more also.

The last Champion (Barao) that was complaining about his pay got TKO'd.

Don't do it to yourself Aldo.

Maybe if he started to fight to win like his WEC days. Right now he doesn't deserve shit. If I was the UFC I would pay him 25k per fight for the shit he's pulling

He just wants what he is worth. He makes millions for someone else. If you made someone else that tyoe of money you would expect to be paid more also.

if he was a big draw he would make more, he isnt so doesnt.... whats so hard to understand about that?

cry me a river Jose

Thats a top 3 P4P fighter, so makes just over 500K a year assuming he wins two title defenses a year which is no small task considering that means he should be fighting nothing but the toughest of challengers. Throw in taxes and the paying of coaches and that number continues to shrink. The truth is i'm going to make a better leaving than almost every UFC fighter at 155 and below that hasn't been a champion. For a sport that leaves you with a rough senior citizenship and features the best of the best, that's a depressing realization.

There are many MMA organizations in existence now, on every continent. Plenty of choices. If he's truly worth more, someone will pay it.

Problem is, he's not. If he can find someone to guarantee him more than a quarter of a million dollars (+ PPV points?) every time he fights, by all means, go work for them (when your contract is up)! Fact is the UFC pays him well when compared to what he'd make elsewhere. And if they don't, he's free to leave and look for greener pastures elsewhere.

There's a reason few people volunteer to leave the UFC: they may not make NFL money, but it sure as shit beats the competition.

Thats a top 3 P4P fighter, so makes just over 500K a year assuming he wins two title defenses a year which is no small task considering that means he should be fighting nothing but the toughest of challengers. Throw in taxes and the paying of coaches and that number continues to shrink. The truth is i'm going to make a better leaving than almost every UFC fighter at 155 and below that hasn't been a champion. For a sport that leaves you with a rough senior citizenship and features the best of the best, that's a depressing realization.

he makes a lot more when you add in his PPV points, he fought on a GSP card in Canada which he wouldve gotten a cut of..... he isnt poor by any means

cry me a river Jose

jose has 10 zuffa belt defenses. 240k is a lot of money but Jose should be making a lot more. He's an elite fighter.

jose has 10 zuffa belt defenses. 240k is a lot of money but Jose should be making a lot more. He's an elite fighter.

What equation are you using to determine what he should be making?

There are many MMA organizations in existence now, on every continent. Plenty of choices. If he's truly worth more, someone will pay it.

Problem is, he's not. If he can find someone to guarantee him more than a quarter of a million dollars (+ PPV points?) every time he fights, by all means, go work for them (when your contract is up)! Fact is the UFC pays him well when compared to what he'd make elsewhere. And if they don't, he's free to leave and look for greener pastures elsewhere.

There's a reason few people volunteer to leave the UFC: they may not make NFL money, but it sure as shit beats the competition.
The reason he doesnt get paid more is because the ufc pretty much owns mma so fighters have little leverage.

Just because the ufc can pay him the most doesnt mean they shouldnt be sharing more of the profits he brings in. They dont have to so they dont it doesnt make it right. Kts greed and its hurting mma.

And since he is champ je has no choice but to fight for the ufc he cant go any where else.

I can dig it. Guys like Josh Barnett make as much as Jose Aldo.

Aldo's been champion at his weight class since Josh was fighting the likes of Mighty Mo.

Back