Jordan Parsons diagnosed with CTE after only 5 years in MMA

I have no idea what point you’re trying to make but to say football “has protection” is a little naive. Helmets don’t prevent concussions. You know the study I mentioned found it most prevalent in offensive line. Do you know what they concluded the reason was? The initial impact between the DL and the OL at the snap of the ball. Hitting to the head is illegal so this is strictly the impact from the two players coming together. Helmets offer ZERO protection from that...none.
Yup. You can get a concussion without being hit in the head. A boxer died during sparring last year. From a body shot.
Went to the corner to kneel and recover, as you do when ripped to the body. Died
"Zerafa said there was “nothing out of the ordinary” about his and Ritchie’s sparring session and that the shots he landed against his partner seemed innocuous at the time."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/11...n-australia-michael-zerafa-boxing-health-news

The CTE thing is getting a little nuts. Like yeah, people who do things where their head gets rattled makes their brains look different than someone who has never even had a concussion. I'm sure the spectrum of slight-CTE to severe-CTE is fucking gigantic.

I bet if they started doing this on every athlete in every sport, 90% of them would be 'positive' for CTE.
Definitely not lol... less than 90%
The CTE thing is getting a little nuts. Like yeah, people who do things where their head gets rattled makes their brains look different than someone who has never even had a concussion. I'm sure the spectrum of slight-CTE to severe-CTE is fucking gigantic.

I bet if they started doing this on every athlete in every sport, 90% of them would be 'positive' for CTE.

I don’t disagree with the point you are making but 90% is way too high lol... less than 90% of “all athletes” are even in contact sports

Im sure getting hit in the head doesn't help qt all, but for all we know he had cte before he ever even started MMA. Could have been in a car wreck, or played football. Its not correct to blame mma, and not know anything about his history and possible causes prior to starting mma. They would have to test before he ever started to get an accurate assessment.

Most of them probably have it. When a regular person gets blasted , someone without an athletic or martial arts background gets ko’d they are likely never the same and there is permanent damage. Something goes off if it be minor or major.
Fighters are people who can sustain this over and over and they are getting knocked out more than we realize .
You don’t always fall when kod and you can get knocked out and regain consciousness extremely quick especially conditioned athletes.
They are aware of the risk. Best you can do is educate people when they are young about popular sports like mma and football. I would not be surprised if it lead to more rules changes later in the future years and years from now though. For foot ball maybe a full body suite of some sort will be used that keeps the head and neck in place along with the spine and hips . While allowing you to move athletically inside it. For mma they will take away head kicks elbows , strikes on the ground and they will have to wear the same apparatus as the football players

Anyone who's played contact sports, or has had concussions in their life time likely has degrees of it. It's a broad scale of what cte is. Some of it is very minor, and seems to have next to no affect on the person. Others end up highly compromised. Likely comes down to genetics as well, where some can handle the trauma and damage better than others. Or cases like those people who are genetically predisposed to concussions making them at higher risk.

at this point all fighters and football players know they will develop symptoms of CTE sometime in their lifetimes. no one is forcing them to do it and for most fighters beats a life of working behind a cash register, cleaning toilets, or waiting tables (remember athletes aren't that smart and don't care to read books).

I wouldn't be able to handle the weight of your job, you're a fucking hero. No sarcasm, either. I can't imagine how heartwrenching some days are for that profession.

Lol, he’s not a physician.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

I wonder how many regular people have CTE?

Not pro athletes or anything, just your average office worker or grocery store clerk?

People hit their heads sometimes, its what happens during life.

The question is to what degree does your brain need to be damaged for you to be diagnosed with CTE? Obviously there is levels to it.

You can guarantee diego Sanchez has it and gaethje as well. Almost all fighters will have it to some degree. Doesnt mean you will turn to mush. Some peoples brains naturally decay more than others.
Yeah I really think it's genetics. Some guys barely get hit and drink through straws. Other guys are like Overeem and seem fine. I think it has more to do with how your brain rewires itself after neural networks get destroyed. Like I can go through a car wreck and be fine after I heal. A hemophiliac gets a paper cut and dies. Some guys have brains like hemophiliacs that just don't heal. I think Muhammad Ali is someone like that. Other guys take drugs or drink a lot during their careers and that prevents their brains from rewiring too. I think Chuck is someone like that.

Back