News Jordan Burros changes mind wants an MMA fight

all great points.

Let me be 100% clear. I'm talking about using takedowns and quick scrambles to score points then going right back to the feet.
I don't believe that Burroughs would last more than 20-30 seconds on the ground with Danis.
I do think that he can take him down, land in half guard or side control, drop (literally) a few punches or elbows then frame get back to the feet, kick the legs, and make Danis stand back up.
I'm guessing that he can keep that up for 3 rounds.

I do agree that Burroughs might be able to learn enough striking to do some damage on the feet.

Who knows, maybe Danis subs him; but that's essentially the strategy that I'd try to get Burroughs to implement if I was his coach/trainer. Of course, I'd have to scout Danis to be sure, though.
I got what you were saying about takedowns but lots of submissions happen during transitions so I don't think Jordan would be safe even if he went for quick takedowns just to score points and get back up. It would also be a very tiring way of fighting and it would still be fighting to Danis's biggest strength being sub grappling.

I think with how much more athletic he is he should have a big speed and punching power advantage and he obviously should be able to stop Danis's takedowns. I think against guys like Danis he would be better off striking at least early in his career if he decides to do more than one fight.

I got what you were saying about takedowns but lots of submissions happen during transitions so I don't think Jordan would be safe even if he went for quick takedowns just to score points and get back up. It would also be a very tiring way of fighting and it would still be fighting to Danis's biggest strength being sub grappling.

I think with how much more athletic he is he should have a big speed and punching power advantage and he obviously should be able to stop Danis's takedowns. I think against guys like Danis he would be better off striking at least early in his career if he decides to do more than one fight.

I don't know, man. Have you ever been on the mat with a super high level wrestler?
They hit trips and throws and drop you on your head with like 0 effort.
On someone like Danis, I don't think he's going to have to Khabib muscle him with leverage.
I'm seeing a lot of this sort of thing (from different angles of course.)

I don't know, man. Have you ever been on the mat with a super high level wrestler?
They hit trips and throws and drop you on your head with like 0 effort.
On someone like Danis, I don't think he's going to have to Khabib muscle him with leverage.
I'm seeing a lot of this sort of thing (from different angles of course.)

Jordan doesn't go for a lot of trips and throws or takedowns from the clinch. Those types of takedowns generally don't require as much effort but he doesn't do those types of takedowns much.

Romero is a good example of why your gameplan would be bad, he has never won a fight via wrestling and top control for multiple rounds cause it makes him really tired. Top control is also very different in MMA than wrestling, Jordan would have to unlearn a lot of habits on the ground and I just think it would be a very bad idea to fight like that against a high level BJJ black belt, especially with his physical advantages that should make out striking him much easier.

Jordan doesn't go for a lot of trips and throws or takedowns from the clinch. Those types of takedowns generally don't require as much effort but he doesn't do those types of takedowns much.

Romero is a good example of why your gameplan would be bad, he has never won a fight via wrestling and top control for multiple rounds cause it makes him really tired. Top control is also very different in MMA than wrestling, Jordan would have to unlearn a lot of habits on the ground and I just think it would be a very bad idea to fight like that against a high level BJJ black belt, not especially with his physical advantages that should make out striking him much easier.

Right, I'm with you. Burroughs doesn't use those type of trips against high level wrestlers because he probably can't pull them off against them.

I'm guess that he can against Danis, though.

And I'm not using Romero's approach as an example. I'm using that type of TD or a trip (and I don't really know the technical terms for the throws,) as an example to the type of approach with which I believe that he would be successful.

It's MMA; with too many factors.
I'm not saying that it's a hill that I'm willing to die on; but it's an approach that I believe would work if he implemented and stuck to it.
Considering that he's an Olympic God medalist and a 5 time world champion, I'm guessing that he can stick to a gameplan.
Look at Cejudo. Danis is no Frank Shamrock; and definitely no Mighty Mouse.

If he fights he will fight more than once. That competitive itch will only become inflamed if he scrachtes it, imo.

I think so too, the rush of getting in a fight is like no other. Jordans gonna like it more than wrestling lol, and get hooked. It must be hard being an athete of his caliber and seeing guys he owned in Wrestling be more famous than him, make more money.

He wants that Glory too, the olympic medals aren’t enough

Right, I'm with you. Burroughs doesn't use those type of trips against high level wrestlers because he probably can't pull them off against them.

I'm guess that he can against Danis, though.

And I'm not using Romero's approach as an example. I'm using that type of TD or a trip (and I don't really know the technical terms for the throws,) as an example to the type of approach with which I believe that he would be successful.

It's MMA; with too many factors.
I'm not saying that it's a hill that I'm willing to die on; but it's an approach that I believe would work if he implemented and stuck to it.
Considering that he's an Olympic God medalist and a 5 time world champion, I'm guessing that he can stick to a gameplan.
Look at Cejudo. Danis is no Frank Shamrock; and definitely no Mighty Mouse.
In my experience(having wrestled and from watching wrestlers transition into MMA over the years)it generally doesn't work that way with wrestlers all of a sudden doing takedowns they normally don't do simply because they have a bigger wrestling advantage than normal.

I don't get why you keep bringing up great MMA fighters Jordan isn't one either and has no sub grappling or striking training while Danis has actually cross trained and fought in MMA.

I think your suggested gameplan for Jordan in this hypothetical match up just makes it very hard for Jordan to win and a lot easier for Danis to win.

In my experience(having wrestled and from watching wrestlers transition into MMA over the years)it generally doesn't work that way with wrestlers all of a sudden doing takedowns they normally don't do simply because they have a bigger wrestling advantage than normal.

I don't get why you keep bringing up great MMA fighters Jordan isn't one either and has no sub grappling or striking training while Danis has actually cross trained and fought in MMA.

I think your suggested gameplan for Jordan in this hypothetical match up just makes it very hard for Jordan to win and a lot easier for Danis to win.

I'll your reference to great MMA fighters as a question and answer it.

Both Frank Shamrock and Mighty Mouse were able to neutralize American gold Medalists on the ground; and could be argued due to their physical strength and athletic ability.

My question re wrestling wasn't meant to be condescending. I've trained with a few high level wrestlers (one fairly extensively) and seen them toy with BJJ guys on the feet and toss them around like children.

One of my training partner's brother who I used to sub w/o too much difficulty won a local bjj tournament at purple belt (he was unranked and I was not purple belt level) employing nearly the same strategy (all on points of course) that I mentioned. And that's w/o striking.
Edit: I bring it up because I literally told him to do it so that he'd be in minimum danger of getting subbed. Used a lot of can openers then framed to stand up and pretend to try to pass and let them get back to their feet. He did that for however long the rounds were and won.

Again, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on; I just think that Burroughs could implement a heavy TD, GnP, frame back to the feet strategy mixed in with some quick big punches and win via TKO or dominant decision.

New interview with Ariel, says he has a strong desire to compete in mma. Guess he’s really serious about this

You are greatly underestimating how much BJJ(or any sub grappling) matters IMO. Jordan has never cross trained in BJJ or striking for that matter. Him going to the ground with Danis would be a very bad idea IMO, he is far more likely to be able to pick up some striking skills and use his much greater athleticism to out strike Danis than to outgrapple Danis without being submitted.

Danis' striking is crap and he's a below average athlete, but he is very good on the ground. It's a lot more likely Jordan can become a better striker with a short amount of training than he would be capable of beating him on the ground with a short amount of training.
Jordan's going to adapt to bjj subs much faster than he is striking. You're totally underestimating his grappling base. Once he builds up an awareness of sub defense, and with his wrestling base it won't take nearly as long as you're suggesting, he'll be a nightmare on the ground for anyone. He has no base at all in stand up as far as I know and would be starting from scratch. His stand up needs to be a setup for his takedowns where he can utilize his skillset.

Jordan's going to adapt to bjj subs much faster than he is striking. You're totally underestimating his grappling base. Once he builds up an awareness of sub defense, and with his wrestling base it won't take nearly as long as you're suggesting, he'll be a nightmare on the ground for anyone. He has no base at all in stand up as far as I know and would be starting from scratch. His stand up needs to be a setup for his takedowns where he can utilize his skillset.

You don't know that, there have been plenty of wrestlers turn MMA fighters that pick up striking faster than BJJ. I'm not underestimating anything, I'm just not assuming things like he will develop top level sub defense within months like you are. In a hypothetical fight of Jordan vs Danis it wouldn't make sense for someone with no cross training to fight Danis on the ground where Danis has the best chance of winning.

Many are saying Nate vs Jordan will happen in 2022

You don't know that, there have been plenty of wrestlers turn MMA fighters that pick up striking faster than BJJ. I'm not underestimating anything, I'm just not assuming things like he will develop top level sub defense within months like you are. In a hypothetical fight of Jordan vs Danis it wouldn't make sense for someone with no cross training to fight Danis on the ground where Danis has the best chance of winning.
He's not just any wrestler. He's an Olympic gold medalist. A few months of exposure to high level bjj to learn submission defense and Jordan becomes unstoppable on the ground like Cormier and Cejudo. Can he learn striking too? Of course, but his base is grappling and that's where he'll dominate.

Danis will have nothing for Burroughs on the ground.

dillon-danis-arrest-video-screenshot.png

Back