• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jones VS Aspinall [POLL]

Who wins a fight for the Undisputed UFC HW Championship?

• Jon Jones

Votes: 147 42.2%
  • Tom Aspinall

Votes: 201 57.8%

• Total voters
Jones takes it down to the ground with better wrestling and doesn't get submitted by Aspinall off his back. Seems like an easy fight for Jones.

Ngannou is a slow, primitive brute.

He does not possess the nuances to beat Jones.

He may have been able to "panic wrestle" Ciryl Ganee, but he does not have that "out" with Jon Jones.

If anything, "panic wrestling" plays into Jones' hands and strengths.

jones ran away from lhw, because he was getting slower, and would currently get destroyed by the current light-heavyweights. he ran to heavyweight, where the fighters are slower, and now he's somehow better? nah, he knew he was going to get beat frequently if he had stayed at lhw.

Tom might be a hard fight for Jones. Not enough tape on him. Tom is beatable though. I don't believe he has more technical skill than Jones.

Aspinall is an unproven, bargain bin Frank Mir with an ugly record. Jones absolutely demolishes Aspinall, and I think Gane beats Aspinall as well.

I know he's old and out of his prime but just can't vote against the UFC GOAT.

Aspinall is an unproven, bargain bin Frank Mir with an ugly record. Jones absolutely demolishes Aspinall, and I think Gane beats Aspinall as well.
Tom's a whole lot more proven at HW than Jones. Jones is totally unproven against a complete HW fighter like Tom. I'd put my money on the young hungry lion. Jon knows he ain't winning that one

Now that we can make polls,

I would like to see what Sherdog has to say about this match up.

According to Sherdog, the odds are:

Jones (-140)
Aspinall (+120)

Jones is a very slight favorite.

My money would be on Aspinall though, especially with Jones coming back from Pec surgery

What say you, Sherdog?
I honestly think Jones would go back on gear for that fight. He'd rather take the NC then lose. A geared up Jones could win. Natty Jones is 50/50.

this is a poll of who you like to win
everytime i see a poll vs jones
jones always loses in polls
lmao

but he has the hardest competiition and the best resume all time
weirdos

Tom is big, well rounded and powerfuil. He's no Gane. Jones struggled with OSP and arguably lost to Thiago Santos and Reyes. If he sticks around, his fall will come just like everyone else.

Unless something happens with Stipe, Jones will likely just stick to his plan to fight Stipe and then dip before he starts to lose. Can't blame him.

Until Jones loses I won't ever pick against him...Tom as good as he's looked has never fought more than 9 minutes in his career and I don't see a world where Jones is put away in the first round

Jones goes night night. Aspinall is a natural HW, well rounded, hits hard, has very fast hands, and a great chin. I don't think it matters if Jones is more skilled overall.

Tom might be a hard fight for Jones. Not enough tape on him. Tom is beatable though. I don't believe he has more technical skill than Jones.
As said I think its hard to know for sure how good Tom is and indeed how good Jones is now.

My feeling though is Tom's main weakness maybe his stand-up defence, he's fast and he hits hard BUT I think he has a touch of the Rockholds in that he does all this movement without really being as good as he thinks he is, he walked into a big punch from Sergei almost instantly for example. Is Jones going to be someone to exploit that? I spose he may have more power at HW but really he's never been a dangerous boxer, Machida walking on to a counter is the only time I remember him hurting a quality opponent with his hands and that was a natural MW.

Grappling wise as well I would argue Jones even in his prime was pretty untested against high level sub fighters, Glover and Shogun are probably the best he faced and the former was more of a top gamer with the fight being almost all standing and the latters grappling and cardio were not close to his Pride years, even then he was more a sweeper than a sub threat. Meanwhile Jones very nearly got subbed by Vitor of all people, granted I think that Vitor probably was still going more BJJ than he did under Hooft but still not exactly a sub monster.

Last edited:
Jones wont be able to bully his way like he did. Frankly, Id like to see a Gane hematch.

Like Anderson Silva before Weidman

<BC1>
I would say as well that I don't think Jones has shown a Hunt/Fujita/Nelson level chin, its good but the vast majority of his career he's worked via keeping opponents at range were they cannot land their big shots.

Besides Aspinal having more power than anyone he's faced also has pretty good reach AND the ability to land with power at the end of his reach.

I would say as well that I don't think Jones has shown a Hunt/Fujita/Nelson level chin, its good but the vast majority of his career he's worked via keeping opponents at range were they cannot land their big shots.

Besides Aspinal having more power than anyone he's faced also has pretty good reach AND the ability to land with power at the end of his reach.
Weight classes exist for a reason.

I remember Maldonado eating a series of haymakers from Prime Glover… What a stud. Doctor had to stop it.

Then Maldonado fought Stipe… and got dropped by a Jab.

There’s a big difference between LHW and HW… the biggest difference of any weight class in the UFC.

If UFC paid Jon... $50mil to fight Aspinal... does he do it?

Back