Jones' open fists

Jones and Gustafsson are both absolute beasts, but I can't but get annoyed by how Jones takes advantage of his reach. He holds his hands out and spreads out his fingers so that his opponents can chose to stay on the outside and kicked to shreds by him or charge him and risk losing their eyesight. I've seen him do this a thousand times, Rampage complained about it and I've seen others complain too.

It ruins the flow of the fight as in the Gustafsson fight, as the fight was paused because Gus got poked in the eye. Jones has yet to receive a penalty for doing it.

I simply don't understand why he is never getting reprimanded for doing it?

You guys didn't see the repeated slow-mo replays for Jones getting poked, full force by Gus (not like Gus' where he was more pawed at)? C'mon. It's MMA, not boxing. They have open-fingered gloves so fighters can grab and hold each other. Can't do that with a closed fist. It's part of the game, for good or ill.

Not the point.
TS said that Jon never gets reprimanded for it, and he was reprimanded for that (as well as his spider crawl thing) in the Belfort fight, if i remember correctly.
I wasn't implying that there is any value in the reprimands, but simply pointing out that they exist.

If I recall correctly, he was reprimanded also in the Gus fight, I think Big John said something like "I told you both not to do that".

If I recall correctly, he was reprimanded also in the Gus fight, I think Big John said something like "I told you both not to do that".

Yes, but that was after he'd already poked some eyes.. In the Belfort fight (again, if I have that fight correct) he warned Jones preemptively. I think he threatened a point deduction too, but I cannot be completely sure.

You guys didn't see the repeated slow-mo replays for Jones getting poked, full force by Gus (not like Gus' where he was more pawed at)? C'mon. It's MMA, not boxing. They have open-fingered gloves so fighters can grab and hold each other. Can't do that with a closed fist. It's part of the game, for good or ill.

I'm not advocating that MMA fighters should use boxing gloves, though it'd look funny as fuck. I understand that they need to be able to grab and hold, but what is Jones trying to grab? The opponents nose?

There's is no reason why you should hold out an arm with all five fingers extended towards the opponents face... And other fighters do it aswell, but I've soon Jones do it so many times and he doesn't need to do it in order to win, it's just annoying.

Oh and btw, Gus didn't poke Jones in the eye according to the pictures. Rogan was just having a mild stroke and temporarily lost his eyesight.

Gus thumbed Jones in the eye same thing

I hate to bring up the fact (again) that Rogan has heavy influences on the audience, but here we go.

Rogan clearly said (paraphrasing) "it looks like he got hit in the eye there" *they show the replay, clearly showing the thumb hitting the cheek bone*

"Yep, Jones took a thumb right to the eye"

I shouted at the TV; I'm sick of Rogan

Gus thumbed Jones in the eye same thing

If you are refering to the punch, which Rogan was commentating on to be a thumb in the eye, than you gotta watch it again. Stop being a blind sheep

shooto style gloves have been on my mind forever, no idea why they have not implemented them with the fingers covered but keep the palm open.

Pride style gloves will help with that, but won't completely fix it. Taking points will probably cure the rest.

I hate to bring up the fact (again) that Rogan has heavy influences on the audience, but here we go.

Rogan clearly said (paraphrasing) "it looks like he got hit in the eye there" *they show the replay, clearly showing the thumb hitting the cheek bone*

"Yep, Jones took a thumb right to the eye"

I shouted at the TV; I'm sick of Rogan

that was really weird.. Rogan usually has no problem admitting a mistake. In this instance though, when watching the replay, i think he knew damn well it didn't land in the eye, but Jones is their champ and he said fuck it, i'm gonna let Jones get some sympathy here.

He consistently pokes people in the eye. LOL at the Gus poking Jones in the eye. He was punched on the cheek and his knuckle slid near his eye. Pretty sure Gus hasn't had a fight paused because he poked a fighter in the eye.

Eveything Rogan says isn't right.

Am I the only one who still sees more eyepokes coming off of shittily formed fists with the thumb stuck out rather than the open pawing people keep insisting is an eyegouge waiting to happen? Gus's doesn't look like it was truly an eyepoke, but I'm more pointing to incidents like with Shields and such.

Am I the only one who still sees more eyepokes coming off of shittily formed fists with the thumb stuck out rather than the open pawing people keep insisting is an eyegouge waiting to happen? Gus's doesn't look like it was truly an eyepoke, but I'm more pointing to incidents like with Shields and such.

I think that's because the fear of the eyepoke from the obvious outstretched fingers keep the other fighter worried so they don't get poked in the eye.

if someone pulls a gun on you, obviously you won't attack them because the gun is in your face, if you don't know they have a gun and they end up shooting you, well that's how eyepokes happen.

Maybe have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Nevertheless I recall the great white bald saying that they (UFC) are investigating into the possibility of using gloves that will force the fingers stay at least crooked

”We actually have started to work on a new glove that actually curves your hand,”
”Like the glove is curved like a ‘U,’ so you can still open your hand, but your fingers don’t point straight out.”
- the great white bald

Have they yet to release those new gloves?

Jones has been warned enough times about doing this that I don't see the need for the refs to keep warning him. Just take a point away the first time somebody gets poked.

this

Back