Jones has such underrated cardio

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by psx7, Jan 1, 2013.

1. psx7

psx7 White Belt

After watching Velasquez fight like a zombie from Rounds 3-5 in his fight against JDS last week, I've realized how impressive it has to be for a guy the size of Jon Jones to have the cardio and endurance he does. Jones looks so fresh coming in the 4th and 5th rounds that it's almost ridiculous, and doesn't skip a beat in there. Even in the 4th and 5th rounds, he's taking people down, throwing kicks and elbows without gassing out at all.

Take the title defenses against Vitor, Rashad, and Rampage for example. All went to the 4th or 5th rounds, and he still managed to finish two of them.

2. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

Yeah but he only has good cardio because he has a massive reach advan.. oh, wait

3. 76Knockout

76Knockout Silver Belt

I'd venture to say Jones is a better athlete than Cain.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Jones also takes on average substantially less damage than any other fighter competing in MMA, that makes it a lot easier for him to look fresh.

5. supernova

supernova Banned Banned

Jones is a beast.

6. Omni**

Omni** Brown Belt

because he doesnt do shit the whole fight? He throws like 5 front kicks the whole round and go for a takedown or two

7. pheonix5

pheonix5 Purple Belt

Jones is smarter about conserving energy, not alot of wasted motion. To do what Cain did for 5 rounds takes an immense amount of cardio. Which showed how good his cardio is.

8. EmeliankoFan1

EmeliankoFan1 Red Belt

Jones has good cardio for 5 rounds and that should be a given for any fighter looking to fight him. He does alot of work in those five rounds so yeah, his cardio is pretty good.

Every Greg Jackson fighter has good cardio.

9. Yeast**

Yeast** Red Belt

No, Jones just doesn't use much energy when he fights -- JDS was constantly forcing Cain back up and into exhausting clinches in a high paced fight, Jones spends most of his fights with his weight on the other guy and tends to avoid super high pace.

10. Big Tuppy Hole

Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

Cain fights a relentless pace, Jones fights at a controlled pace so to me there somewhat hard to compare

11. Velasquez FC

Velasquez FC Sea Level > Altitude

When did jones start fighting at Heavyweight?

12. John015

John015 Orange Belt

He enjoys the benefits of training in New Mexico...good high altitude training. His preparation is excellent. He always has an excellent gameplan,is always incorporating new techniques, and always goes into the octagon in good shape. I used to not like him that much but the guy is an incredible athlete in all facets. Not too many guys are like him or GSP in terms of preparation (both do alot of cross training like swimming,gymnastics for GSP,etc)

13. itsjustme***

itsjustme*** Blue Belt

Idk Rashad hit him hard more than a couple times

14. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl Brown Belt

Jones is clearly in shape, but I don't think it is at all established that he wouldn't struggle like any other human in an extended and physical fight. He doesn't typically fight at anywhere near the pace of Cain, nor is he grappling with bulls like JDS.

He was visibly gassing at towards the end of his fight with Shogun, in which he exerted considerable effort pounding on his opponent.

I seriously doubt Jones would have fared any better than Cain in terms of Cardio if the roles were reversed.

15. EmeliankoFan1

EmeliankoFan1 Red Belt

Meh Jones does not get hit alot but he does plenty of work in cage with the various strikes he throws and his wrestling but its just more controlled.

His pace isnt Cains but whose is.

16. Yeast**

Yeast** Red Belt

That's pretty much my point in a nutshell; Cain gets into high paced firefights, Jones picks his spot and explodes occasionally.

But if you want to talk about cardio, Frankie Edgar is cardio god mode: gets blasted by Maynard and still fighting at speedy gonzales pace the next 4 rounds.

17. Malas

Malas Sent via carrier pigeon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. EmeliankoFan1

EmeliankoFan1 Red Belt

Visibly tired in the shogun fight, I saw the fight, I didnt see him physically tired at all. He gassed in the Bonnar fight hard but that was the only time I saw Jones physically exhausted.

In the Shogun fight jones looked like he could go another few rounds and walked shogun down without an issue.

19. Lethal

Lethal Forum Administrator Staff Member Forum Administrator

Lol, I remember how after the Shogun fight a lot of posters felt that Jones had horrible cardio because he made a comment about how he had to use up all his willpower to not tire himself out and finish Shogun. Kind of weird hearing that now.

That's true, a lot of the higher level Greg Jackson guys seem to have no trouble going at it for 5 rounds. Guess that high altitude training really pays off.

20. Chramelated

Chramelated The Real Guy, The Best Guy Banned

True, very true. I think someone else put it best, Jones has "Controlled destruction". The way he fights is beautiful, but still, he does have amazing cardio.