Jones has only defended his belt against one legit LHW

CannonsHeel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who else sees this?

Rampage is the only defense Jones has had that was a legit 205'er.

-Machida is currently on his way to MW
-Rashad could make MW if he wanted, and was planning to until he won (so the judges said, at least) against Dan Henderson.
-Vitor and Sonnen usually fight at MW.

I think this really pokes a hole in any claims that Jones is the P4P best. GSP and Silva always fought guys that were legitimately in their weight class, not fighters who were able to make weight at a lower division.

Now granted if Jones beats Gustafsson tomorrow (I don't see this happening but bear with me), we can add another legit LHW title defense to Jones' reign, but as it stands it's not that impressive in my eyes since it's mostly based on beating true middleweights.

True middleweights that fought at LHW extensively and had lots of success?

aD0zMrG_460sa.gif

none of this is new you know? people have been saying that about Jones for a while only they usually say Rashad is the only legit win because Rampage was out of his peak

Now granted if Jones beats Gustafsson tomorrow (I don't see this happening but bear with me), we can add another legit LHW title defense to Jones' reign, but as it stands it's not that impressive in my eyes since it's mostly based on beating true middleweights.
Absolutely ridiculous argument. Shogun isn't a true LHW? Machida was viewed as unbeatable at LHW not too long ago, but that win isn't legit? If you think Gus is winning tomorrow I suggest you lay some serious coin down.

I'm not trying to hate here, and I realize this is just another way to complain about Jones being bigger than all of his opponents, but I just find it funny that possibly all of his title opponents could make middleweight (except for Rampage, who I don't think could make MW).

So do you consider the LW division illegitimate since it is championed by a guy who can make 145?

you make it sound like losing to Cro Cop & Fedor was something to be ashamed of.

Absolutely ridiculous argument. Shogun isn't a true LHW? Machida was viewed as unbeatable at LHW not too long ago, but that win isn't legit? If you think Gus is winning tomorrow I suggest you lay some serious coin down.

On Sherdog, you're only as good as your last fight.

Case and point: TS

Who else sees this?

-Rashad could make MW if he wanted, and was planning to until he won (so the judges said, at least) against Dan Henderson.

I think this really pokes a hole in any claims that Jones is the P4P best. GSP and Silva always fought guys that were legitimately in their weight class, not fighters who were able to make weight at a lower division.

Jesus christ. Im not even a Jones fan but you know this is retarded. Why even post it? Of the people you have named all outside of Sonnen have had great success at LHW, and two are champions. You also failed to mention Shogun, arguably one of the greatest LHW fighters of all time, maybe the best ever outside of Jones.

Thats like saying "you know, the 1972 Miami Dolphins may have had the only undefeated season followed by a superbowl win in NFL history, but all the people they beat are no longer even playing football! So ha."

This makes no sense. Only Rampage, when they were all champs at LHW. Sonnen and Belfort have both fought at LHW before as well. I'm not even a Jones fan, but there's no way you can discredit him that much.

Who else sees this?

Cote,nate both are 170 pounders now.

Diaz has previously fought at 155 same as bj for gsp,dont get why people feel the need to take away from a guys wins,you can do it to anyone silva,gsp Jones,stop hating,get a life and enjoy the fights

You make me hate GSP. Here's an idea, how about Jones is that good that his competiton feel the need to move to another division to win a belt. It enforces his claim as the P4P best you fool. Obviously a butt hurt GSP fan.

Who else sees this?

bj 2x, serra 2x, sherk, menjivar, that's 6 fights for legitimate lw's on gsp's record.
maia is now a ww.

You make me hate GPS. Here's an idea, how about Jones is that good that his competiton feel the need to move to another division to win a belt. It enforces his claim as the P4P best you fool. Obviously a butt hurt GPS fan.

Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Bader, Matyushenko, Vera and soon to be Gus is an unbelievable resume for a 25 year old kid who is very young in the sport.

Im not even a Jones fan but anyone who dismisses his competition has their own agenda.

Sonnen just choked out Shogun in round 1.

Vitor is kicking the fuck out of guys who could easily be LHWs. How many people completely out-wrestle Sonnen and submit Vitor these days?

Jones is phenomenal whether you love him or hate him. Either way you watch to see the outcome. One of the GOATS already.

If he beats Gus and then Glover it will be safe to call Jones a top 5 GOAT.

Back