Gustafsson: legit 205er
Sonnen: 185er
Vitor: 185er
Rashad: legit 205er, though could make 185
Machida: 185er
Rampage: legit 205er

3/6 legit 205ers

Who else sees this?

Rampage is the only defense Jones has had that was a legit 205'er.

-Machida is currently on his way to MW
-Rashad could make MW if he wanted, and was planning to until he won (so the judges said, at least) against Dan Henderson.
-Vitor and Sonnen usually fight at MW.

I think this really pokes a hole in any claims that Jones is the P4P best. GSP and Silva always fought guys that were legitimately in their weight class, not fighters who were able to make weight at a lower division.

Now granted if Jones beats Gustafsson tomorrow (I don't see this happening but bear with me), we can add another legit LHW title defense to Jones' reign, but as it stands it's not that impressive in my eyes since it's mostly based on beating true middleweights.

Eh it could have been worse. I thought he was going to say Chael Sonnen was the only legit lhw Jones fought.

So much bullshit coming from ts. With the exception of Sonnen, Jones has defended and beatin nothing but former UFC LHW champs. Lay off the hateraid dude.

Op I want you to know. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Eh it could have been worse. I thought he was going to say Chael Sonnen was the only legit lhw Jones fought.

You know you might be right. He's 240 pounds before his MW cut from what I heard Mike Dolce say, he must be even bigger now that he's running through the LHW division.

You know you might be right. He's 240 pounds before his MW cut from what I heard Mike Dolce say, he must be even bigger now that he's running through the LHW division.

it's not a bad point. But how successful has he been at LHW as of recently?

Holy crap. Dropping down a weight class has advantages, but you may have trade offs such as speed and endurance. Franky, Fedor,Bj, these guys were small for the class but did just fine. Legitimate 205ers? Give me a break. I can not think of a better defence run than Jon Jones has had, bar Sonnen.

Who else sees this?

Rampage is the only defense Jones has had that was a legit 205'er.

-Machida is currently on his way to MW
-Rashad could make MW if he wanted, and was planning to until he won (so the judges said, at least) against Dan Henderson.
-Vitor and Sonnen usually fight at MW.

Saying Chael may have been the most legit challenge? He lost to Maia who is currently WW. See what I did there?

Holy crap. Dropping down a weight class has advantages, but you may have trade offs such as speed and endurance. Franky, Fedor,Bj, these guys were small for the class but did just fine. Legitimate 205ers? Give me a break. I can not think of a better defence run than Jon Jones has had, bar Sonnen.

I agree, Sonnen's run at LHW has been better than Jones'. Sonnen went 8 years with no defeats at LHW until finally losing to Jones in an epic struggle that involved a broken bone. Legendary run.

This thread is idiotic and sucks.

The only fighters that were clearly past their physical prime vs. JBJ were Shogun and Rampage. Otherwise anyway you cut it JBJ's wins are legit as they come.

Yeah, he's fought a lot of small 205-ers. This is because two of them are MWs, so that's legit, but for the rest, it's just a side effect of the top 205-ers being small ones.

People who climb to the top-5 of a division is legit in that division, no matter what size.

Silva's last 6 fights:
Weidman: legit 185er
Bonnar: legit 205er
Sonnen: legit 185er
Okami: legit 185er
Vitor: legit 185er
Sonnen: legit 185er

6/6 legit 185ers

GSP's last 6 fights:
Diaz: 170er, spent some time at 155
Condit: legit 170er
Shields: legit 170er, spent some time at 185
Koscheck: legit 170er
Hardy: legit 170er
Alves: legit 170er

5/6 legit 170ers

Jones' last 6 fights:
Gustafsson: legit 205er
Sonnen: 185er
Vitor: 185er
Rashad: legit 205er, though could make 185
Machida: 185er
Rampage: legit 205er

3/6 legit 205ers

Gus hasn't fought Jon Jones. So you'd have to put Shogun in there and that would make it 4/6 going by your standards. With that said your standard is idiotic. What makes someone "legitimate" isn't their size its their accomplishments. By your standard you think that Gleison Tibau is a more legitimate LW than Anthony Pettis is because he can't make 145.

Jon Jones didn't dominate those guys because he's bigger than them. He did it because he's better. All those guys have beaten guys who were taller than them, heavier than them, or had longer reaches. Hell going into the Shogun fight lots of Shogun fans felt Shogun was gonna run through him based on what he did to Overeem and Diabate(both over 6'4 and have 80+ inch reaches).

Gus hasn't fought Jon Jones. So you'd have to put Shogun in there and that would make it 4/6 going by your standards. With that said your standard is idiotic. What makes someone "legitimate" isn't their size its their accomplishments. By your standard you think that Gleison Tibau is a more legitimate LW than Anthony Pettis is because he can't make 145.

Jon Jones didn't dominate those guys because he's bigger than them. He did it because he's better. All those guys have beaten guys who were taller than them, heavier than them, or had longer reaches. Hell going into the Shogun fight lots of Shogun fans felt Shogun was gonna run through him based on what he did to Overeem and Diabate(both over 6'4 and have 80+ inch reaches).

great post

Jones' job is to smash top LHW's, which he's been doing. Anderson lost to Chonan, who he completely dwarfed. GSP lost to Serra, who was a bloated LW. Fedor lost to Hendo, who fought as low as MW. These are arguably the 3 most accomplished MMA fighters this sport has had all losing to smaller fighters. What a bunch of scrubs, am I right?

This thread should be stopped, TS isn't intelligently defending himself.

Back