Jones could be our Ali

Ali is not even considered the GOAT among many boxing purists.

And Joe Frazier known for his hooks to the body could not stop him there , Ali's toughness was nothing to sneeze at

I wouldn't wanna argue about who had the bigger body shots, Foreman or Frazier, but Ali took them both really well. Tyson also had a vicious left hook body, left hook head combo that has people wondering to this day how Ali would have done, but I think Rumble in the Jungle speaks for itself.

Anderson and Fedor.

If we are really going to go that far back in entertainment history to find someone to compare Jones to then it should be Eddie Haskel. He was good at what he did but he was fake and nobody liked him.

People don't want to admit that there are similarities to Ali and Jones, but there are some. Is Jones ever going to be as big as Ali in anything, probably not. But for the MMA landscape, it's not that bad of a comparison.

There are definitely a lot of similarities, but none of them are that noteworthy. There are lots of cocky, young, disliked athletes who people like to see lose or fail. Jones is not particularly special in that regard.

What made Ali special, the reason we celebrate him today, is for his social stand. Let's compare controversial statements...

Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I

I wouldn't wanna argue about who had the bigger body shots, Foreman or Frazier, but Ali took them both really well. Tyson also had a vicious left hook body, left hook head combo that has people wondering to this day how Ali would have done, but I think Rumble in the Jungle speaks for itself.

I go with Frazier because of his frame , but Foreman was a bigger puncher yes but As for Hooks I'll take Joe. Prime Tyson is interesting because Cus used to train Floyd Patterson too and they peek a boo style he wanted for Tyson was made specifically to Bob and weave against a guy like Ali who used his length and speed

I go with Frazier because of his frame , but Foreman was a bigger puncher yes but As for Hooks I'll take Joe. Prime Tyson is interesting because Cus used to train Floyd Patterson too and they peek a boo style he wanted for Tyson was made specifically to Bob and weave against a guy like Ali who used his length and speed

I used to always think Tyson would take Ali, until I read this article breaking down the fight, and it made me change my mind. Wish I still had it. That Tyson bobbing, though, that was fierce.

I'm not going to quote you, greenseeker, but it should go without saying that you're correct. Negligible similarities are meaningless. Where it counts, and even all of the stuff in between, Jones doesn't measure up to Ali. Jones is a gifted fighter with the personality of a snide and not very articulate adolescent. Ali had a magnetic persona and a great deal of emphasis behind his words.

I assume this thread was begun to debate not only his role as champion but to weigh his influence and popularity as well.

To your statement... I'm not knowledgeable of the sport, but was anyone a champion (either continuously or broken up into various reigns) for as long as Ali?

Jones can wag his dong around on snapchat all day long and he won't sniff 1/1000 of the pussy Ali got.

I assume this thread was begin to debate not only his role as champion but to weigh his influence and popularity as well.

To your statement... I'm not knowledgeable of the sport, but was anyone a champion (either continuously or broken up into various reigns) for as long as Ali?

Depends how you define GOAT. It's not that easy, as it's subjective, and the criteria can differ. Many people will put Sugar Ray over Ali. I've even heard Joe Louis as a GOAT contender. It's all pretty foolish to talk about this as being objective.

Jones is a great fighter and all but he has 1/100 of the personality ali had so no he is nothing like him really.

We have yet to see anything like that in mma, hell connor is more like ali than JJ personality wise, but is alot more liked. There is nobody like ali right now.

Jones is more like our Kramer, like the episode where Kramer declares his greatness at karate. He inspired everyone until it turned he was taking a kids karate class.

For it is not the size of the opponent but the ferocity.

Ali was charming

Jones cant charm hookers with a wad of cash

Depends how you define GOAT. It's not that easy, as it's subjective, and the criteria can differ. Many people will put Sugar Ray over Ali. I've even heard Joe Louis as a GOAT contender. It's all pretty foolish to talk about this as being objective.

I didn't mention anything about goats. Just mentioning my observation on the subject of the OP. And as I said, I don't know much about boxing, but I do know that Ali had an incredible career and was the world champion in three different decades, spanning about 20 years. I don't know if any other boxers have managed that. George Foreman perhaps could have, although I don't believe he did.... not my field of knowledge.

In terms of fighting ability? He is Ali, but charisma, political views, promoter we will not see another Ali.
Only bad copycats, and when ali was around he was hated. Somethings dont changes.

I didn't mention anything about goats. Just mentioning my observation on the subject of the OP. And as I said, I don't know much about boxing, but I do know that Ali had an incredible career and was the world champion in three different decades, spanning about 20 years. I don't know if any other boxers have managed that. George Foreman perhaps could have, although I don't believe he did.... not my field of knowledge.

Wow, I could have sworn you said "GOAT", I think I should slowly slink away from my computer at this point...

Good point. Sugar Ray Robinson always was at least when I was big into boxing. Even at HW, it can be argued that Joe Louis was greater. Some would even look to Marciano, Dempsey, Jack Johnson etc. (at HW).

Back