Jones could be our Ali

Most of us see the beginning and end of Ali's career. The truth is, in Ali's prime, he was absolutely hated by a good majority of the people. People saw him as cocky and his mouth got him in trouble. He was this young kid basically who was beating all the legends at that time, and he did it in spectacular fashion. Others saw him as a "draft dodger." Some people hated him for his religious beliefs, and others hated him because he was young, black, and successful. I know people don't want to admit that middle one, but it's the truth. People wanted to see Ali lose and were extremely satisfied when Frazier beat him.

People don't want to admit that there are similarities to Ali and Jones, but there are some. Is Jones ever going to be as big as Ali in anything, probably not. But for the MMA landscape, it's not that bad of a comparison.

You're right, a lot of people hated him. But Frazier was black, too. In fact, a good number of boxers were and are... I suppose you could argue people that he was an "uppity negro" and you'd be right for a lot of people, but people weren't generally against him strictly for being black. In fact, Ali actually used racially charged invective against Frazier in the build up to their fights. As in, Ali was a good kind of black and Frazier was an inferior sort. People weren't wrong that the Nation of Islam was a fucked up organization, though. At least he left it in the seventies and became a legit Muslim.

I never like Ali, but I like Jones, so go figure. Jones is not even 1/10th as obnoxious as Ali was. In the arena of fighting, they may be comparable eventually but in terms of personality, I like Jones way better. That probably isn't a popular opinion, lol.

Last edited:
The most important difference is that Ali was a HW.

He destroyed fighters his own size, not guys half his size, etc.

I was talking purely in a sports context. With everything else it's hard to think their will ever be another Ali.

True , Different Times . As far as sports goes Ali fought in a Golden Era for HWs names like Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston early in his career and then Frazier, Forman , Ken Norton , Larry Holmes in his mid to later years

I don't understand why fans hate him so much and more importantly, why they want him to lose so much.. I believe if he carries on this path, and this sports does the same then in 50 years time we could be looking back the same way as my grandad did when he would talk about watching Ali in his prime.. Tomorrow night could be our Rumble in the Jungle

Jones lacks the larger-than-life personality which enabled Ali to transcend his sport.

That said, (most) people hated Ali when he was in his prime. Ask your grandad.

TxN6slall14WY.gif

This is why headhunting is ineffective. His body is flat opened. I'm sure one liver shot would change Ali's mind. Melvin Guillard and Bobby Green are suffering from the same flaw, they're too busy weaving their heads to protect anything else.

The most important difference is that Ali was a HW.

He destroyed fighters his own size, not guys half his size, etc.

Every single UFC LHW(and probably MW) weighs more on fight night than Ali ever did.

Of course. It's racism. But unfortunately not everyone on here is a smart as you :(

Assuming it's racism is racist.

It's getting old hearing people say "you hate Jones so you must be racist".

Supporting since 08 will continue no matter what happens on Saturday. Too much invested, I was a teen when I started watching in 08 with the Brock invasion. Jones was immediately the first "new" fighter I caught on. Since the he obliterated Steph Bonnar, I kept my eye on his progress. I grew up on Jon Jones, won't be hoping off the band wagon ever, we here to stay.

This is why headhunting is ineffective. His body is flat opened. I'm sure one liver shot would change Ali's mind. Melvin Guillard and Bobby Green are suffering from the same flaw, they're too busy weaving their heads to protect anything else.

To be fair, Foreman threw a record number of body shots against Ali, to his detriment, because he gassed. Ali was just on another level, but you're right in theory, head hunting is ineffective, especially in mma.

Yes, if only boxers were allowed to throw liver shots... Also, ironically, Ali started to ONLY headhunt right around this fight.

One guy had a megalomaniacal personality. One has a complete absence of personality. Same guy.

To be fair, Foreman threw a record number of body shots against Ali, to his detriment, because he gassed. Ali was just on another level, but you're right in theory, head hunting is ineffective, especially in mma.

And Joe Frazier known for his hooks to the body could not stop him there , Ali's toughness was nothing to sneeze at

Jones is his own entity, his own person. He isn't our modern Ali and doesn't need to be. He's uniquely himself. Stop trying to compare him to guys that were legendary in other sports.

Yeah, i'm sure changing levels and opening yourself up against the greatest counter puncher ever would have worked well.

Jfc some of you

Nope.. because he's a cheat.

He's exceptionally talented and doesn't need to constantly rake his opponents' eyes... but yet he does.

That's why people fucking hate him.

Of course. It's racism. But unfortunately not everyone on here is a smart as you :(

You hit the nail on the head. Thats why a fuckload of andersons fans hate jones. Unless im missing something....

Back