Jones could be our Ali

mental mickey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand why fans hate him so much and more importantly, why they want him to lose so much.. It's kinda similar to Mayweather in some regards.. If you look at the record he's built up, the records he's broken and the ones he could be on his way to breaking in the future, he could be on his way to being the greatest fighter of all time.

I root for him to win, not because I think he's a diamond bloke, he's not, he comes across petulant sometimes, arrogant sometimes and straight up obnoxious at others..but I believe if he carries on this path, and this sports does the same then in 50 years time we could be looking back the same way as my grandad did when he would talk about watching Ali in his prime.. Tomorrow night could be our Rumble in the Jungle

Never. It just won't happen. Sorry.

The reason people hate him is that he keeps opening his mouth.

Did Dana predict that after he declared MMA to be battling with soccer for global supremacy? Sounds like it.

People hated Ali because he was too cocky.

If Jon Jones is MMA's Ali then I don't want MMA to have an Ali.

I don't know why he and his camp even compare him to ali. He mostly uses takedowns and elbows to win.

Most of us see the beginning and end of Ali's career. The truth is, in Ali's prime, he was absolutely hated by a good majority of the people. People saw him as cocky and his mouth got him in trouble. He was this young kid basically who was beating all the legends at that time, and he did it in spectacular fashion. Others saw him as a "draft dodger." Some people hated him for his religious beliefs, and others hated him because he was young, black, and successful. I know people don't want to admit that middle one, but it's the truth. People wanted to see Ali lose and were extremely satisfied when Frazier beat him.

People don't want to admit that there are similarities to Ali and Jones, but there are some. Is Jones ever going to be as big as Ali in anything, probably not. But for the MMA landscape, it's not that bad of a comparison.

If the internet was around during Ali's prime he would have been one of the most hated fighters on a site like 'Sherdog'.

Closet racism, incredibly cocky, incredibly arrogant, huge self belief and virtually unbeatable. He would have been hated far more than Jones - Especially considering the era.

Ali was one of the most polarizing and charismatic figures in the history of SPORTS, and his cultural significance and profile is probably 100 x greater than what Jones us right now

I don't understand why fans hate him so much and more importantly, why they want him to lose so much.. It's kinda similar to Mayweather in some regards.. If you look at the record he's built up, the records he's broken and the ones he could be on his way to breaking in the future, he could be on his way to being the greatest fighter of all time.

I root for him to win, not because I think he's a diamond bloke, he's not, he comes across petulant sometimes, arrogant sometimes and straight up obnoxious at others..but I believe if he carries on this path, and this sports does the same then in 50 years time we could be looking back the same way as my grandad did when he would talk about watching Ali in his prime.. Tomorrow night could be our Rumble in the Jungle

Lol, maychicken is coward who has been ducking the real champ Manny for years. Please don't ever insult the greatest MMA fighter in the world again.

Say what you want, but whether you loved or hated Ali, you fucking watched him fight.

Can't say Jones has anywhere near the same star power, or that he will ever even come close.

I think that he could be our Ali in the sense that he came in a young, brash fighter who dominated and beat beloved stars, eventually loses and retires. It might take 10-20 years after his retirement but people will look fondly back on what he did and be amazed by his accomplishments.

The biggest strikes on Jones is his age and how fast he's accomplished everything. He has better wins on his resume than Anderson Silva and he's done it in half the time. That's hard for people to comprehend and accept.

Ali is an Olympian.... A gold medalists. He started in light hw... And moved up to fight monsters

No, they are very unalike personality wise, which is what really made Ali, Ali.

Rory+MacDonald+Poorly+Ali+Shuffles+-+UFC+on+Fox+5.gif

He may be the next Ali, but Cormier is the next Fedor.

Fedor>Ali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back