Jonathan Brookins pushed too fast

Just watched the fight. Holy hell does this guy keep his chin up. I can't recall a fighter keeping their chin up that high (I've seen beginner WMMA fighters keep their chins lower than him). He's an amazing dude with a good ground with decent power. He can still improve.

Yeah i think the UFC saw the same potential in him which is why they pushed him into high caliber match ups quick. He's still young and developing. I say start to build him up a bit slower. Give him a tough yet favorable match up (Matt Grice or McKenzie/Garcia winner) and go from there.

You really expected big things from Brookins? Also, world class wrestling?

he's in a tricky spot because of the way FW is right now. There is group of top fighters and then there are a bunch of scrubs, and then in the middle you have Jonathan Brookins there really isn't a middle of the pack in the FW as it is, so therefore Brookins either looks super impressive or he gets his head caved in. shame really, dude seem like a really cool person to hang out with.

Edit: Wohoooo Purple Belt!

He has a lot of potential, just needs to work on his striking defense and sub defense.

Brookins could have KO'd Porier if he was more patient. He has huge potential. Watch the fight with Aldo in the WEC, he looked pretty good there and has improved a lot since then.

I really disliked him on the show and have been happy with how his performances have panned out since entering the UFC.

I thought he would be big as well but it isn't to be.

He's fought Porier, Oliveira and Koch already. You can't write him off, based on those losses.

Plus, he arguably won the Koch fight and the Porier fight was pretty much a toss up.

Don't know where everybody was seeing this potential. His striking was awful, awful, awful on the show. Watching his fight with Poirier, it seems like he's finally learned how to throw a proper punch. At the same time, he still keeps his hands too low with his chin straight in the air and absolutely no head movement.

Brookins has been around this sport for a long time already. Before TUF he already had 14 pro fights. He had already fought Jose Aldo in the WEC and had fought in Bellator. He was actually coming into TUF with an unfair advantage to most IMO. It was no surprise to me that he won it.

So no, IMO he's not been pushed to fast. I don't think the average person really knew his back-story.

Plus, he arguably won the Koch fight and the Porier fight was pretty much a toss up.

That Koch decision is one of the most under appreciated calls by the judges ever.

Hes too one dimensional.

But I hope he wont get cut

They need to stop doing this with him (random example):

Brookins vs. (worst guy on roster)

Brookins vs. Koch/Oliveira/Poirier

There's no middle ground for him. Most guys get a slight step-up, he always gets a bit of a killer after whipping an entry level guy.

He's got talent, but anyone else think he lacks heart? That's twice he seems to have just given the submission up, may have been dazed but he seems to fold under pressure.

If you compare his fight with Aldo to this one with Poirier, he hasn't really progressed much. It's hard to build up fighters like that. He isn't bad though, but mid-level.

No.

The level of competition is weakened each season they do the same weight class.

They had done lightweight 4 times when Brookins finished the show.

Now when they have 8-32 lightweights on each show, the talent gets watered down very fast.

I thought Cody McKenzie was gonna win that season...Brookins surprised me a bit...but not sure what happened to him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back