Jon Jones will defeat Sonnen with superior wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
And not one of those guys outwrestled Chael Sonnen.

I'm getting to the point where im more tired of hearing about "Jon Jones has 100% TDD!!!" "Jon Jones has NEVER been taken down" Then i was about hearing "JDS by K.O AGAIN" All that shit, means nothing. And its fuckin insane how often its brought up. Jones will be thrown on his back, and Chael will make it look surprisingly easy.

b/c they arent wrestlers like Jones is and Jones only needs one TD to change the fight.

Ok. Are there human beings on this planet that believe Sonnen will get treated like Bader or get thrown like Bonnar? People, please. WTF is wrong with you. Chael Sonnen was an Olympic alternate for USA wrestling. Get your shit together.

Those credentials guarantee nothing inside of a cage. You have this all wrong.

Jones is the GSP of the LHW division. Vlad, Vera, Bader, Hammill and Evans all came into the cage with more wrestling credentials than JJ. All of them came out losers- most of them got ragdolled and thrown onto their backs.

Sonnen is going to look like a munchkin in the cage with Jones. He's an undersized LHW to begin with, and he's fighting one of the biggest guys in the division. You talk about seeing Jones on his back, but the opposite is what you should prepare for.

This fight is going to be determined by who can get top position. If you're not going for the takedown you're gonna be the one defending them. And in this fight if you become the one defending takedowns instead of being the aggressor more likley than not you're going down. In my mind Chael will get him down no problem. But being a Chael fan there's only one thing that worries me. I know Chael needs 5 good, hard rounds to win, he aint finishing it. But Jones, as was the same with Anderson, only needs one good exchange for everything to turn his way. Which is why i make the comparison. not because they are similar fighters. (Jones/Silva)

Completely disagree..but just for curiosity sake how much hundreds are you dropping on your boy to win for you're inevitable fortune since you are so sure chael is such a stylistic nightmare for Jones.

Wrestling is about embracing the grind. Something seen in Sonnen but not in Jones. Jones may very well win this fight but it will not be because he outwrestled Chael.

Ok. Are there human beings on this planet that believe Sonnen will get treated like Bader or get thrown like Bonnar? People, please. WTF is wrong with you. Chael Sonnen was an Olympic alternate for USA wrestling. Get your shit together.

It doesn't matter how good his wrestling is, what matters is how good is wrestling is when he is avoiding submissions, getting hit with crazy strikes, elbows, knees and having to fight someone much taller who will simultaneously be employing Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai in creative ways that he has never experienced before. Yes, there are human beings who believe Sonnen will get tooled, a lot of them. Say what you want about Jones personally, there is something special and unique and terrifying to opponents about the way he fights.

I agree that Chael probably loses but I think he puts up a better fight than many seem to think he will. He has underrated standup and he's not gonna be shy about trying to put Jones on his back. Let's also not forget that Jones isn't Anderson. Jones' size makes him a real presence in that cage. Rampage and Rashad probably could've beaten him if they just went for it instead of waiting on Jones so much. I don't see Chael having the same problem.

That's the difference ... Rampage was timid because of the reach and superior wrestling of Jones ... and so was Rashad because of him knowing he has a bad chin and could get KO'd trying to close the distance.

I just don't see Chael being scared ... he is going to come forward just like he did against Silva because he is one tough SOB and has high level wrestling.

Rashad has the wrestling but he didn't use it at all. How many times did Rashad go for a TD? Rashad was so scared of being hit it was a laughable performance. Rashad fought to not lose instead of fighting to win.

I would not be shocked at all if Chael does to Jones what Cain did to JDS. Wear him out with a fast paced style of coming forward and never stopping.

Last edited:
I would not be shocked at all if Chael does to Jones what Cain did to JDS. Wear him out with a fast paced style of coming forward and never stopping.

I wouldn't draw this parallel. The thing is, Jones is a wrestler himself, and a pretty darn good one, conservatively speaking.

He will just beat him by being better at everything. I personally think he will light him up on the feet and then maybe take him down in the 2nd or 3rd. Sonnen will lose easily and badly..

the only way Chael wins is if JJ has a few bruised or cracked ribs.

Its hard to see that happening and Cheal is far from a fast paced fighter, he is slow and predictable and his striking is not Cain's.

Also Jones is a better fighter and more well-rounded then JDS. Jones in cage IQ IMO is also infinitely higher then JDS's who had problems adjusting in cage.

I have a hard time seeing jones who can submit, strike and has the wrestling and GNP to hurt Cheal going like JDS without an adjustment being made.

Also, Its not that Rashad was timid, its that jones didnt give him many openings. Jones is a southpaw with a long reach who switches stances, good sprawls and even better wrestling. He is said to be a tricky fighter to fight in cage because of his dimensions which give him some padding defensively from slower plodding fighters.

Cheal has his work cut out for him but it should be fun to watch either way.

I honestly believe so. The MMA world will, in turn, hype up Jon Jones as unstoppable even more. He will have out-stuck the most dangerous strikers (Machida, Vitor, Page) and out-wrestled the best wrestlers (Sonnen, Shad, Bader.)

Sonnen will attempt to keep the pressure on Jon, which won't be easy to do due to Jones' outstretched arm and knee kick defense. However, when he does manage to grab him, Jones will keep busy with knees to the body and trips/throws.

While repeatedly getting stuffed and tripped, Sonnen will begin to get badly out-struck on the feet, only to be taken down again and eventually finished with elbows or submission late in the third.

Jones makes his 5th defense of his title.

Don't count Chael out dude, he has fantastic wrestling and I really think he will put Jones on his back at some point in the fight.

FTR. I think jones will eventually win, but IMO Sonnen will give him problems before he goes down

Don't count Chael out dude, he has fantastic wrestling and I really think he will put Jones on his back at some point in the fight.

FTR. I think jones will eventually win, but IMO Sonnen will give him problems before he goes down

only problem Chael is gonna cause Jon is when Jones has to pick a new color Bently with all the money he is going to make punking Sonnen for 5 minutes

Optimistic me says Sonnen will pressure Jon into a fight he's not in control of, which is something we haven't seen before. Realistic me says that Jon is smart and way too good to allow Chael to pressure him the way he want to. Chael will try and try again for takedowns, to no avail, and eventually be beaten horrendously by Jones via Hellbows

Jones wins this however he wants to whenever he wants to. this is the most ridiculous match-up (not to mention title shot) I've seen in along time.

I dont know! I think this may be the first time we see Jones on his back and defending. I think Jon will take it, but it wont be that easy.

i think it will be easy. sonnen is overrated. we shall see. i think sonnen will retire after getting whooped.

I dislike Jon, but I do think he wins here.

That being said, I think Sonnen easily has the edge over Jones in the wrestling. I think we see Sonnen get Jones on his back multiple times in the fight.

Where or based in what is Sonnen edge? Double legs?

It's Rashad fight all over again, I still remember people saying how Rashad was the superior wrestling and we would see Jones on his back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back