• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jon Jones reveals how stupid Sherdog has become (long read)

People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
I get it, it's Jon Jones, the guy is a douchebag.
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.

Dana is a liar.
Jones is a liar.
But why would Dana lie in this case?
He always sided with Jones, he likes fighters like Jones and hates fighters like GSP, Askren, MM.

I mean the company endeavor is bleeding money with covid. There's lots of entertainment industries that won't recover. Might be a huge risk right now

Well lets be honest, when he was yoked was his best chance and he didn't do it so that ship has kind of sailed now for a plethora of reasons

For the people that complain about these titles...
"Fighter XX reveals how stupid Sherdog is" (Then, in the thread, fighter never says anything about Sherdog)
"XX fighter IS CLEARLY reading Sherdog!" (Then, in the actual thread, fighter never even alludes to anything about Sherdog)

You are right to be disappointed every time. The truth is, no one knows what the fuck Sherdog really is nowadays. This is a forum of like 10 people compared to a plethora of people that either use other forums (which they really don't, because forums are dead nowadays) or social media. Hell, even the website of pathetic bullied basement dweebs that is Reddit gets more traffic than this.

But don't worry. This website is still superior and allows for true discussion. Just realize that the fighters probably don't notice you.

Jones vs DC 2 drew around 900k, Mcgregor vs Diaz around 1140k
You're numbers are bullshit.

Conor vs Nate1 did 1.3 million buys
Jones vs DC did 860k

Thats a massive difference. Conor also did that 1.3 million on short notice. While Jones had the UFC hyping the fuck out of his rivarily for months on end and yet it still only did 860k

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

This shows what a terrible draw Jones actually is. He doesn't even show up on the PPV list until #27 lmao. And thats what is at the heart of the issue. It takes massive amounts of hype, marketing, and controversy just for Jones to do average to above average numbers. AGAIN Jones doesn't have a PPV in the top 20. Jones doesn't even make the PPV list until #27 lmao. Jones PPV average is even worse. The fact is Jones has never been a draw and never will be a draw

I dont want to see Jones leave the UFC but if he chooses to i respect that and i will probably watch him crush a few cans in any promotion he goes to.
With that being said i dont know why everyone gets so hung up on this crap.
1) The UFC does not give a fuck what your opinion is.
2)You should not give a fuck what another person makes for a living.
3)if the UFC wants to hold Jones to his current contract and make him sit on whats left of his longevity they have a right to do so.
4)If Jones wants to sit out the rest of his longevity in protest of his pay that he signed up for he has a right to do so.
5)Bottom line is, its the UFCs money, the UFCs contract and Jones signed it which means the UFC holds all the cards.

It doesnt matter if we like it or not, it has nothing to do with it.

People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.

This forum has been looking for excuses to hate Jon Jones forever. I remember the hundreds of threads from 10 years ago or something "JJ rubs me the wrong way but I don't know why".

Then JJ gave the losers on this forum a bunch of excuses to hate him but what you need to understand about MMA consumers in general and especially people on this forum, is that they actually don't understand combat sports / fighting, so they will gang up against a fighter even if he is a prodigy in the cage.

Simple - He’s a steroid cheat.

I will never believe he is clean no matter how many tests he passes at this point.

Simple - He’s a steroid cheat.

I will never believe he is clean no matter how many tests he passes at this point.

Has nothing to do with the topic at hand though. You'd want him to be cut for being a roider, so he should've been cut years ago. But supporting the corrupt UFC now for wanting to let Jones go because he wants more money for moving to HW? Really? You should be mad at the UFC, they paid off USADA, let Jones do whatever he wanted, yet you still take the company side on this issue now and think they're handling this situation in the right way?

They couldve cut him for being a roider and all his infractions. I would've understood that. But this current issue is something entirely different.

This is nothing new dude, Dana has been turning fans against fighters to get his way for years, it's his go to strategy and always seems to somehow work with the vocal majority of the UFC fan base, it's fucking crazy. Then once he gets his way he hypes them up again and the fans follow suit without blinking an eye.

I was arguing earlier with a guy saying the UFC doesn't need a guy with a "pathetic" 400k average buy because they have guys like Conor, Nate and Jorge who are, apparently, much bigger sellers despite numbers no longer being reported, Conor being the obvious proven exception.

Think about that for a second. Conor and Nate both have 2 fights in the last 4 years and both are notoriously hard to get in the cage at least once in a calendar year while Jon has that many in the last 2 years alone.

Apparently throwing away a reliable revenue stream and biggest star that is actually willing to actively fight regularly is considered a "smart" business strategy since you have 2 potentially bigger stars that you may or may not be able to get into the cage once in a while for a huge pay day, assuming of course they don't decide they would rather not fight for a year, 2 years or ever again, lol.

How are people so blind they don't see how absurd this is. Basically they are saying there's no need to pay a little more for a product proven to provide the second or third highest return multiple times a year when we can payout even more for a product that we know will generate a decently higher single day revenue but may not do it this year or even next year.

It what universe does this philosophy pass as an intelligent and sustainable business model? Shits fucking crazy dude.

Last edited:

100% TS. 100
I also think jones is a terrible person. But I find sherdoggers' obsession with dana white disturbing. Dana, in my opinion, is cruel. He has clear favourites (conor and ronda) and everyone else. Yes jones is in the inner circle (gets away with everything) but this negotiation failure just shows the way the organization thinks. How can they fail to pay their best fighter 15 million for the biggest fight? Also dana lying again claiming he wanted deontay wilder money is a clear lie as well. How can they brag about turning the ufc around into a 7 billion dollar company and still fail to compensate their fighters accordingly? How can the fans be happy about that?

Also this is the exact same shit that happened to Demetrious Johnson. Same shit. The only difference is that jones pressured Demetrious to take tj and he demanded more money. In what fucking world does the average, faceless goon side with the corporation. It's such a bitter display of cynicism. People side with conor when he makes demands but the minute Demetrious demands 1 fucking million, "oh he's not worth it". Who are you to decide he's not worth it? You don't have the books you don't know how much he's being undervalued. And the excuse is dj wasn't a draw. Well motherfucker, jones is the third biggest draw and they're still jerking him around like this.

Bringing up his criminal record after bailing him out to serve thief own purposes, as if it was done altruistically is a bullshit move. I don't want to see jones leave either. Who's he gonna fight outside? Absent minded gegard who'll cry about not being into it or jones being on peds? Ryan Bader? Aung la Tsang? Fucking lol. Jones' best fights imo are at LHW he hasn't rematches Reyes, or fought volkan, rakic etc. I dislike him a lot but jones should stay in the UFC. Jones should be paid accordingly. It's shocking that he's making less than 10 million if he is indeed the third biggest draw. It's time to take off the clown shoes.

It is disgusting for anyone to side with a big corporation in situations like this. It's fucking sadistic. Just because chael says you're a scumbag if you try negotiate for more money doesn't mean it's true. Chael is the same motherfucker who tells fighters "shut up and fight" under normal circumstances, without the pandemic and economics nosedive. So it's bullshit. Mayne not 15 million, if it's too expensive but 10 or some shit. And not 7.5 like Mma junkie stupidly suggested because "the fight doesn't mean much" FOH.

Last edited:
Floyd's last fight before Conor did like 400k buys or something. Because he was fighting Andre Berto

A lot of Jones opponents are like that. Nobody really cares to see those kind of monotonous fights.

Throw him against a DC, Stipe, Adesanya, maybe even Ngannou

They would do huge numbers
Exactly and not adding that into whether a fighter is a draw is shortsighted

Don't know what the issue is.
Let Jones fight out his contract, then if he wants to leave, let him leave.
He comes crawling back within 5 years guaranteed.

Sherdog hates the true GOATs, Jones and Anderson. Is normal.
The hypocrisy in this post is absolutely hilarious. I don't even take you a little bit serious at this point because it's clear as day you're trolling 24/7 on here.

Keep up the charade little guy.

Dana is a liar.
Jones is a liar.
But why would Dana lie in this case?
He always sided with Jones, he likes fighters like Jones and hates fighters like GSP, Askren, MM.

Because the UFC is underpaying fighters compared to say boxing (to say nothing of all the major team sports, though arguably boxing is a much closer model), and its in the UFC's interest to keep fighter pay down, and to keep a second major MMA organization from developing (as in the days when Pride and the UFC were both top level organizations).

More than anything else, Dana sees his job (probably rightly so) as promoting the UFC's interests. That's why he's said openly ridiculous things such as MMA being bigger than soccer, Fedor (right after Pride closed) not being a top ten heavyweight and so on. Right now he sees his job as simultaneously keeping Jones pay low compared to what he'd make in boxing while also keeping Jones in the UFC, and in trying to set the precedent of the UFC determining when fighters have to have superfights (something they've never been able to control) while at the same time not allowing fighters to ask extra for superfights.

So in this case Dana's best interests (low pay, keeping Jones in the UFC, and making Jones have a highly profitable fight with Ngannou without paying either extra -- Ngannou wants extra for that superfight as well) are in direct conflict with Jones' best interest (pay on the boxing level, being able to go to another higher paying organization if warranted, and getting extra for a fight with Ngannou). Hence the high chance that both Dana and Jones are lying, given their past tendencies to lie when its in their interest to do so.

I don’t even like him but I want him to stay , best fighting the best is what I want to see... I’m indifferent about Dana, I think he’s done great things to legitimize mma. Without him honestly I don’t think it’s even remotely close. I feel as though he is absolutely amazing at his job HOWEVER I can’t comprehend how fighters don’t get paid more.

Did you read my post?
Why do you care about a multi-billion dollar company making money? Why do you care if the billioniare shareholders get more money shoved down their throat?
It's not about how big of a draw Jon is. He's the youngest champ in UFC history, he has countless title-defenses, he's also a fuck-up, yeah, but he wants to give us a fight that hardcores and the UFC themselves have been asking for, so why not pay up?

Why? I thought this forum was about MMA, not money.
its prize fighting its always about the money.....

Because the UFC is underpaying fighters compared to say boxing (to say nothing of all the major team sports, though arguably boxing is a much closer model), and its in the UFC's interest to keep fighter pay down, and to keep a second major MMA organization from developing (as in the days when Pride and the UFC were both top level organizations).

More than anything else, Dana sees his job (probably rightly so) as promoting the UFC's interests. That's why he's said openly ridiculous things such as MMA being bigger than soccer, Fedor (right after Pride closed) not being a top ten heavyweight and so on. Right now he sees his job as simultaneously keeping Jones pay low compared to what he'd make in boxing while also keeping Jones in the UFC, and in trying to set the precedent of the UFC determining when fighters have to have superfights (something they've never been able to control) while at the same time not allowing fighters to ask extra for superfights.

So in this case Dana's best interests (low pay, keeping Jones in the UFC, and making Jones have a highly profitable fight with Ngannou without paying either extra -- Ngannou wants extra for that superfight as well) are in direct conflict with Jones' best interest (pay on the boxing level, being able to go to another higher paying organization if warranted, and getting extra for a fight with Ngannou). Hence the high chance that both Dana and Jones are lying, given their past tendencies to lie when its in their interest to do so.

Perfectly explained. Thank you.

Back