• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Jon Jones questions Islam Makhachev as #1 P4P: You went through "absolute dogfight"

Jones struggled with Reyes an undefeated fighter still in their 20s.

Yes, he was undefeated, but context matters. Who had he fought and beaten before that fight? A controversial decision win over Oezdemir? There's no evidence, outside of the Jones fight, conveniently, that Reyes was that good.

Mahakchev just struggled with dustin.b35 year old lw who is contemplating retirement.

Not going to comment on the Santos fight as Jones pretty clearly beat him.

Firstly, this is a bit of a dumb point. Fighters hit their primes at different ages. I don't know how many times this has been proven.

Secondly, I love how you put "Makhachev struggled against Poirier," and in the next sentence "Jones pretty clearly beat Santos." One did much better than the other, and both Poirier and Santos were 35 years old at that time, funny enough.

Jones is talking about current p4p rankings, so not sure what Jones did pre USADA has anything to do with this thread.

Seems like you misread the topic here
I was responding to someone else who brought that issue up. If you're not going to read the other comments and context, then of course you won't understand it.

unfair and goofy assessment. but then again, now jones name is in the media and people are talking about him. soooo mission accomplished....

I’d love Jon to fight aspinall and beat him, the meltdown from the mma world would be insane

Not a Jones fan, but that was one of my first thoughts. Islam has flashes of GOAT-level abilities mixed with times where he looks very beatable (even more true in the first Volk fight...and by the fact that he was finished once). Say what you want about Jones' PED issues. He never tested positive in his early prime, when he was destroying guys who never put him in real danger or hurt him.
Lol he lost 3 fights but dana and fetish with him kept him in ufc

This dude is a vulnerable narcissist. Jon just doesn't know how to stop embarrassing himself. He's literally sabotaging his own legacy with every poor decision or poorly thought-out public statement he makes.

Last edited:
Jones really hasn't been that impressive as of late honestly. Islam is number 1 p4p right now.

Jones really hasn't been that impressive as of late honestly. Islam is number 1 p4p right now.

Yeah, the pound-for-pound rankings have always been based on recent resumes. I don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that. There's a reason why Aldo is not that high in the rankings anymore. He has an all-time great resume, but they're only counting his recent resume, which is why we should also only count Jones' recent resume. That's the only fair way to handle it.

Makhachev's recent resume is simply more impressive than Jones'.

Jon Jones should fight more often than once in 5 years

Jon would (again) if he fought actual contenders instead of picking a guy who last got knocked out 3 years ago and holding a division hostage. Someone remind him before Gane, he was struggling at LHW against Santos and Reyes. At least Islam finished his dogfight.

Dude is one of the best ever and yet so, so insecure. Lol

Jon doesn't even believe his own BS. He wouldn't keep going to twitter crying about it, if that was the case.

Islam > Jones

Back