Jon Jones On UFC 151 Turn Down To Cerrone: "You Dont Make A Million Dollars To Fight"

He'll drop in value once he loses, so why would he take a fight on short notice when he can get time to fully prepare for it? Jones has so much more to lose than Cerrone, so I get where he's coming from. Jones has GOAT-potential if he keeps his win streak going.. Cerrone? Not so much.

Really? Considering how dominant Jones has been, do you really think losing was really going to be any more likely had he and Chael fought at 151 than it's going to be when they fight now?

Even if the upset did happen, no one would consider it a real loss because it was such short notice and an immediate rematch would take place.

Did Cain's stock drop all that much after losing to JDS? Did GSP's after Serra 1? Even if they did, they recovered and no one really thinks about it. Any stock loss would be temporary (and may even be beneficial in the long run, but that's another topic).

The fight wasn't short notice, the opponent was. He had gauranteed money in a fight with Chael, it'd be stupid from a money standpoint to turn down gauranteed money now for the possibility of the same sum of money in the future. Now he got pretty lucky with a quick turnaround with Belfort so he got his money (albeit at 21 days less interest worth). But what if no fight materialized? What if he had to wait another 3 months? He'd be out even more money.

And if he was scared of losing "brand value" with a loss to Chael, then why did he take the fight with Belfort? Did 3 weeks really make much of a difference? Especially considering how close he came to losing?

The money thing is no excuse. The "brand value" thing would have been an excuse but he fudged that when he took another fight so soon against an opponent in a similar situation (MW moving up on short notice).

There's a competitive excuse, ie he didn't think he had all the tools to beat Chael or wasn't ready. And that's a fair excuse. But if money was a factor then he actually made a wrong decision.

In other words, I don't buy the money reason.

there is a big difference in the time between the 2 fights.

Jon Jones is saying that Donald Cerrone doesn't make a million dollars a fight. So Jon Jones, in other words, has more to lose by taking a risky fight.

It's not money, it's fear. Jones is afraid to lose, Cowboy isn't.

Really? Considering how dominant Jones has been, do you really think losing was really going to be any more likely had he and Chael fought at 151 than it's going to be when they fight now?

Even if the upset did happen, no one would consider it a real loss because it was such short notice and an immediate rematch would take place.

Did Cain's stock drop all that much after losing to JDS? Did GSP's after Serra 1? Even if they did, they recovered and no one really thinks about it. Any stock loss would be temporary (and may even be beneficial in the long run, but that's another topic).

I think he means Jones stock dropping in terms of being thought of as an unstoppable and unbeaten champion.

If you have ever been to a signing session Jones usually has the largest booths and is also one of the only fighters talked about on ESPN news so I dont see him losing that crowd. He actually has Lebron James giving him shout outs so jones is good to go with that crowd as is Anderson and GSP.

I would wager that Cerrone is a millionaire, too. Have you seen his ranch?

I'm not villifying anyone, just pointing out the fundamental differences in who they are.

A lot of people just ignorantly associate country with poor.

Cerrone also fights guys his own size.

the bitching about the UFC 151 disaster is approaching the same point of stupidity as the Diaz nuthuggers that still whine about his fight against Condit.

Let it go.

The cancellation was on the management of UFC, not one of it's fighters. If they have such shoddy business practices they have to cancel promotions due to loss of talent perhaps they need stronger leadership. Or they could simply fire Jones. He'll make another promotion and himself, quite rich. Oh! They won't fire him because they're only partially stupid, not fully.

this is true.

ufc 151 was an interesting battle between company and employee. when jones refused to take the fight, the ufc tried to bully him via bad public press. jones didn't budge, and the card was scrapped.

it was an overall victory for the fighters. it proved that the fighters have a lot more control in how the ufc operates.

Last edited:
If you factor in sponsorship money then I think it's well over a million.

Cerrone also fights guys his own size.

Sadly he doesnt get paid his own size, jones does.

Life aint fair sometimes right Jopo, twitter Cerrone and let him know how you feel.

But I know how you feel, bro hug.

man-hug.jpg

Imagine saying that to Cerrone. What a tool JBJ is!!!

No wonder the fans hate on him so much.

the bitching about the UFC 151 disaster is approaching the same point of stupidity as the Diaz nuthuggers that still whine about his fight against Condit.

Let it go.

Dana 1,2,5?

there is a big difference in the time between the 2 fights.

Sorry, still not buying it. Jones had already had a full training camp. He had 8 days to prepare specifically for Chael, who was himself only preparing on 8 days notice, as in, an 8 day camp (presumably). He had about a month to prepare for Belfort, but that's 3 weeks more time for Belfort to prepare than Chael would have had.

And, if you ask me, Chael is more stylistically similar to Hendo than Belfort is (minus the punching power), but that's just me.

Back