Jon Jones Got Mauled

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
For those that didn't see the fight last night, here's what happened:

Gus picked Jones apart and systematically beat him down. Jones hung in there quite well and even landed a few flush strikes of his own which Gus shook off. Jones rocked him for a few seconds in the fourth round, but Gus recovered pretty quickly.

Jones tried over and over again to take Gus down and failed each time until the 5th, when he finally landed a takedown. Gus popped back up pretty quickly and Jones was unable to do anything with the takedown.

Gus did far more damage to Jones throughout the entire fight, outlanded him with strikes by a huge margin, and completed a higher percentage of takedown attempts.

When all was said and done, Jones looked like a mess and wandered around like he had been beaten stupid. The judges gave the decision to Jones in the worst robbery since Shogun/Machida I.

Actually, this was worse than Shogun's robbery because Jones was beat down a lot worse than Machida was.

And that's the fight in a nutshell.

"For anybody who didn't see the fight, heres my highly skewed opinion of what happened, now go and spread it like it's gospel."

Jesus Christ, you're delusional. If that was a beatdown then Jones/Shogun was a sanctioned murder. The fight was exceedingly close with Gustafsson landing far more punches, Jones more kicks, and Jones being the only one to get close to ending the fight. They both had lacerations and swelling but Gustafsson was nearly KOed once and Jones was never visibly hurt by any shot that was landed. At least in Machida/Shogun I Shogun actually landed more shots AND the more damaging shots. It was a good fight, give props to both guys for coming in and fighting to the final bell like true warriors and quit trying to manufacture controversy for a fight that should be unanimously praised.

Hmmmm, how long until there's a thread titled "Gustafsson got boned?"?

I pity the fool who started this thread

I think two of the judges got it right, the one who gave 4 rounds to Jones was a bit of a stretch. It wasn't a lopsided beat down, both fighters had their moments and arguments could be made either way.

Not a robbery but imo a clear victory for Gustaffson.
The highlights were also weird because they showed missed strikes or every blocked Jones headkick and nothing from Gustaffson.
Jones did got outboxed pretty badly

It was easily a decision win for Jones.

I think people are being misled by how often Rogan mentioned Jones "possibly" being behind on the scorecards.

Rogan is a crafty commentator.

Mousasi would have finished the job.

Ridiculous interpretation. It was a very close fight and was quite difficult to judge, overall.

Jones definitely snuck out of there with a belt that probably wasn't his.

I had Gustafsson winning 1, 2 and 3. 4 was the only round that was truly a tossup. Does Gus get it for winning ~4:00 of it, or does Jones get it for winning the last :20 of it? Jones could finish Gus because he was beat up and his legs and arms were shot.

Either way, the proper score was 48-47 Gustafsson. 48-47 Jones I could live with. But 49-46 means one judge was either sleeping, or on the take so as to prevent the big Vegas payout on the underdog. :icon_lol:

Jesus Christ, you're delusional. If that was a beatdown then Jones/Shogun was a sanctioned murder. The fight was exceedingly close with Gustafsson landing far more punches, Jones more kicks, and Jones being the only one to get close to ending the fight. They both had lacerations and swelling but Gustafsson was nearly KOed once and Jones was never visibly hurt by any shot that was landed. At least in Machida/Shogun I Shogun actually landed more shots AND the more damaging shots. It was a good fight, give props to both guys for coming in and fighting to the final bell like true warriors and quit trying to manufacture controversy for a fight that should be unanimously praised.

Gustafsson had far less swelling on his face and only one or two small lacerations. Jones, on the other hand, had his eye cut open during the fight (happened in the 1st round) so badly that he and his corner had to BEG and PLEAD (Dana's words) to the doctor in order to allow the fight to enter the 5th round. This fight could very well have been stopped then and there. As for Jones nearly KO'ing Alex. :icon_lol: Alex was rocked, sure, and he was also still standing and not as disoriented as you wish he was. He was mostly exhausted and gassed which had much more to do with it than being affected by Jones' strikes (that elbow and the follow-up knees STILL didn't even drop a very worn out and gassed Gustafsson). Gustafsson wasn't 'saved by the bell', he shoved Jones off and regained his composure. Both were worn out at this time. Try again though. :rolleyes:

Gus won the fight.

Unfortunately for him this was an MMA match which is scored by the round. And I don't see how you can give him 2, 4, or 5.

Gus won the fight.

Unfortunately for him this was an MMA match which is scored by the round. And I don't see how you can give him 2, 4, or 5.

Well, 80% of round 4 was all Gustafsson. Only the last 20% went to Jones with that spinning elbow that connected and hurt Gustafsson, then the follow-up knees where Jones tried to finish (yet failed against a gassed as shit and rocked Gustafsson). Jones had a good moment there but it doesn't erase the first 4+ minutes of that 4th round. The judges looked at the last minute (or less) of the 4th and the 5th round and gave it to Jones. The 2nd, many, including myself, had scored for Gustafsson. In fact, Gustafsson won the first 3 rounds in most people's opinion, the 4th round being a toss-up or a 10-10 draw at best.

Gustafsson had far less swelling on his face and only one or two small lacerations. Jones, on the other hand, had his eye cut open during the fight (happened in the 1st round) so badly that he and his corner had to BEG and PLEAD (Dana's words) to the doctor in order to allow the fight to enter the 5th round. This fight could very well have been stopped then and there. As for Jones nearly KO'ing Alex. :icon_lol: Alex was rocked, sure, and he was also still standing and not as disoriented as you wish he was. He was mostly exhausted and gassed which had much more to do with it than being affected by Jones' strikes (that elbow and the follow-up knees STILL didn't even drop a very worn out and gassed Gustafsson). Gustafsson wasn't 'saved by the bell', he shoved Jones off and regained his composure. Both were worn out at this time. Try again though. :rolleyes:

I don't have to try again and I'm not slanting the fight in either way because I never care who wins. Ever. I am not a fighter fanboy, I am a fight fan and I only root for a good fight which is what happened last night. I also, upon first viewing while slightly inebriated and sleep deprived, gave Gustafsson the fight 48-47. That could change upon second viewing but according to everyone who had no dog in the fight the second round was a toss-up.

Secondly, you are insane and if the doctor actually was going to stop the fight for that cut he too is insane and should never officiate a fight again. The cut was in no way impacting Jones' vision nor was there a massive loss of blood, the ONLY two reasons that there ever are for a cut stoppage. Gustafsson is black and blue and cut in two places, Jones' eyes are swollen and cut, they both got fucked up, the difference being that Gustafsson was out on his feet in the fourth, completely out of gas, and waiting to be stopped in the fifth while Jones still had a tiny reserve left. Had that elbow occurred a minute earlier in the round I doubt Gustafsson would have made it out regardless of how you would like to skew the picture.

As I said before, anyone trying to paint me as a fanboy with an agenda is going to fail miserably because you will not find one instance where I actually cared about who won a fight. So long as I don't feel my money was wasted on a boring card I've won.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back