Forget Stipe, is Jones vs Poatan the best fight the UFC can make right now?

Who do you want to see Bones fight next?

• Total voters
Unfortunately this is the most disingenuous BS from Jon Jones as he has NO intention of fighting either Pereira nor Aspinall. He will say he does but I do not believe him.

I'd be very happy if Jones proved me wrong though!

1. First he has to beat Miocic (might be tough in itself)
2. Then he has to not retire (might be tougher as many people believe he instantly retires after the Miocic fight)
3. Then he has to realize that Pereira is in a different weight class to him so ....there's that
4. Then he has to realize that Aspinall might well submit him, and he IS scared of losing his "perfect" unbeaten record (let's forget about the Mark Hamill debacle).

Final comment.... Jones does not actually say "who do you want to see me fight next?" at all. He says "who would you guys want to see me fight the most?". I think his wording is important here as I very much doubt he will ever fight either Pereira/Aspinall.

Unfortunately this is the most disingenuous BS from Jon Jones as he has NO intention of fighting either Pereira nor Aspinall. He will say he does but I do not believe him.

I'd be very happy if Jones proved me wrong though!

1. First he has to beat Miocic (might be tough in itself)
2. Then he has to not retire (might be tougher as many people believe he instantly retires after the Miocic fight)
3. Then he has to realize that Pereira is in a different weight class to him so ....there's that
4. Then he has to realize that Aspinall might well submit him, and he IS scared of losing his "perfect" unbeaten record (let's forget about the Mark Hamill debacle).

Final comment.... Jones does not actually say "who do you want to see me fight next?" at all. He says "who would you guys want to see me fight the most?". I think his wording is important here as I very much doubt he will ever fight either Pereira/Aspinall.
Agree with almost all of this.

Where I differ, is I think if Poatan is a popular enough option and enough fans want it, I do think Jon actually campaigns for that fight.

Alex is probably the biggest star in the sport right now (besides Conor), he's on track to be the only 3 weight champ ever, and most importantly, he is tailor made for Jon to get a flawless victory over him.

If Aspinall wins the poll handily, I think Jon quietly retires as was originally planned.

Where I differ, is I think if Poatan is a popular enough option and enough fans want it, I do think Jon actually campaigns for that fight.

Alex is probably the biggest star in the sport right now (besides Conor), he's on track to be the only 3 weight champ ever, and most importantly, he is tailor made for Jon to get a flawless victory over him.

If Aspinall wins the poll handily, I think Jon quietly retires as was originally planned.
Why are you so convinced Aspinall would beat Jon and Pereira would be such an easy victory for Jon? Pereira does have the grappling weakness and it's possible Jon just takes him down and subs him but Alex also has the striking pedigree and power to maybe shock the world. What is Tom's path to victory? Outgrapple Jon, unlikely, knock him out, also unlikely. I'm not sure why so many people are convinced Jon would just be some easy win on Tom's resume. There is literally nothing to suggest that would be the case. In fact, we've seen this song and dance it feels like 20 times already and Jon always wins.

yes I think you're right on that.

- IF Jones carries on fighting after the Miocic fight (if it ever happens...) and he tells the UFC that he DOES want to fight Pereira then I think UFC will go all-in on that and the fight will happen. It would be an absolutely massive fight and by then Pereira will have developed his skills even more and with Teixeira as one of his main coaches (and a previous opponent of Jones) it would be amazing to see Pereira vs Jones. (I will say that if Jones LOSES to Miocic then he will prob have a clause in his contract saying he can get an automatic rematch against anyone he loses to, so he'd probably take a rematch with Miocic. But this is all hypothetical).

It's all down to Jones really. I do think that he'll SAY he is retiring sometimes this year and UFC will throw everything they can at Jones (millions of dollars / title-shots / multiple fair-haired maidens) to get him to carry on fighting.

Why are you so convinced Aspinall would beat Jon and Pereira would be such an easy victory for Jon? Pereira does have the grappling weakness and it's possible Jon just takes him down and subs him but Alex also has the striking pedigree and power to maybe shock the world. What is Tom's path to victory? Outgrapple Jon, unlikely, knock him out, also unlikely. I'm not sure why so many people are convinced Jon would just be some easy win on Tom's resume. There is literally nothing to suggest that would be the case. In fact, we've seen this song and dance it feels like 20 times already and Jon always wins.
Poatan literally got swept and controlled on the ground by Adesanya. Any chance he has against Jones is on the feet but there is zero chance Jon takes any chances and stands long enoughfor Alex to get anything going. He shoots right out of the gate and Poatan has been taken down by everybody that has tried to. He ain't making it out of round 1 with Jones.

Lmao at Aspinall not having a path to victory. He is bigger, heavier, younger, more powerful, and much, MUCH faster than either Jon or Poatan. Everything the does is fight ending, both on the feet and on the ground. He's literally a threat to Jon anywhere the fight goes.

Nobody thinks Jon would be an easy fight for Tom, he's Jon Jones and can beat anybody. But nobody thinks Aspinall is a walk in the park for Jones either, which is why his fans want to see any fight BUT that one.

The only people trying to make out like Poatan is either, a more intriguing fight, or, has more chance of winning than Aspinall are Jones fans, and they aren't being very slick about it either. I'm as big a fan of Pereira as anybody else but he is a walk over for Jon.

Aspinall is the only answer here as he has the game to wreck Jones.

Jones was scared to stand with an inferior kickboxer in Gane so no doubt takes Alex down within first 60 seconds are after tasting one of those savage calf kicks and subs him faster tha he did Gane.

Poatan literally got swept and controlled on the ground by Adesanya. Any chance he has against Jones is on the feet but there is zero chance Jon takes any chances and stands long enoughfor Alex to get anything going. He shoots right out of the gate and Poatan has been taken down by everybody that has tried to. He ain't making it out of round 1 with Jones.

Lmao at Aspinall not having a path to victory. He is bigger, heavier, younger, more powerful, and much, MUCH faster than either Jon or Poatan. Everything the does is fight ending, both on the feet and on the ground. He's literally a threat to Jon anywhere the fight goes.

Nobody thinks Jon would be an easy fight for Tom, he's Jon Jones and can beat anybody. But nobody thinks Aspinall is a walk in the park for Jones either, which is why his fans want to see any fight BUT that one.

The only people trying to make out like Poatan is either, a more intriguing fight, or, has more chance of winning than Aspinall are Jones fans, and they aren't being very slick about it either. I'm as big a fan of Pereira as anybody else but he is a walk over for Jon.
I know I'm not going to change your mind as you're a fan of Tom's, but I think if Jon fought both of them 100 times Alex would win more times than Tom would. Every fight/round starts standing and I can confidently say Jon has fought better grapplers and strikers than Tom. I can't say with great confidence Jon has ever fought a more dangerous striker than Pereira. It's just a matter of opinion but I see Alex as having a better chance.

Tom might end up proving himself to be a world beater but as of right now there are still concerns over his gastank and beating Volkov, Spivac, Tybura, Arlovski doesn't really prove that he would be nearly as successful against someone like Jones who has 16 wins in title fights with 0 losses. Yes Sergei was a great win I'll give him that one.

My opinion could change in the future but Alex is proven in the striking department, much more proven than Tom is in the grappling and striking departments.

Also, for what it's worth I don't think Jon is ducking Tom. Jon has never ducked anyone and Jon has beat better fighters. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:
I know I'm not going to change your mind as you're a fan of Tom's, but I think if Jon fought both of them 100 times Alex would win more times than Tom would. Every fight/round starts standing and I can confidently say Jon has fought better grapplers and strikers than Tom. I can't say with great confidence Jon has ever fought a more dangerous striker than Pereira. It's just a matter of opinion but I see Alex as having a better chance.

Tom might end up proving himself to be a world beater but as of right now there are still concerns over his gastank and beating Volkov, Spivac, Tybura, Arlovski doesn't really prove that he would be nearly as successful against someone like Jones who has 16 wins in title fights with 0 losses. Yes Sergei was a great win I'll give him that one.

My opinion could change in the future but Alex is proven in the striking department, much more proven than Tom is in the grappling and striking departments.

Also, for what it's worth I don't think Jon is ducking Tom. Jon has never ducked anyone and Jon has beat better fighters. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Same here bud, I know you're a Jones fan but you're going to have to try harder than that to convince me Jones vs Poatan is in any way a competitive fight. This isn't kickboxing. ThThere'a reason Jones is angling for the Stipe and Poatan fights and it isn't because he sees then as the biggest threats to him.

Every fight does start standing but I'm not even buying that Poatan is the giant threat he's made out to be there. He can clearly KO anybody that plays his game for too long, but it isn't like he crumbles everybody with the first punch he throws. It HAS happened, like with Hill for example. But we've also seen Blachowicz, Bruno Silva and others take his punches and do just fine on the feet with Poatan. Even Jiri was getting the better of Alex before he got countered with his chin stuck straight out there on a platter.

All Jones has to do is not eat a clean bomb on the chin long enough to tie Poatan up or shoot, once he does it's game over. And with his reach, I doubt he'll find it particularly difficult either.

Meanwhile we have Aspinall, who so far nobody has managed to survive against him be it standing OR on he ground. You can actually make a very compelling argument that he's a bigger threat than Poatan is anywhere the fight goes. You stand with him and he gets you out of there innan average of 90 seconds, you take it to the ground and you last marginally longer before you get finished.

Sure there are questions about his gas tank, but you have to get him into deep waters to even see if he does have an issue with his cardio. And Jones has to survive long enough for that to happen. Against Poatan Jon has no such worries, because he's finishing Alex inside of 1.

Jones only willing to fight relic Stipe and kickboxer Pereira, but not the interim HW champ.

There was never a more obvious paper champ who's held on to the belt for so long.

<{hughesimpress}>

It looks like all sherdog want to see Asoinal destroys Jones ahah

Back