• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joking During Rolling: Okay or Not?

I do that when I am gassed or if I have to roll with the upper belts, maybe it's my way of coping with nerves idk. I dont do it now though as I feel like it makes me soft mentally, not good especially when comps are in the horizon.

People really need to not be purposely ignorant.. everyone who's actually trained knows what Uchi Mata is talking about..

Not the occasional joke or comment.. but the lower belt.. usually a white belt
. Who may or may not.. more often than not look a hipster for some reason. Passive aggressively compensating for losing or being tired by.. instead of just training.. starts trying to start a conversation, tell jokes that have nothing to do with it.. and tell the higher belt "good job". Which is distinctly fucking different from 2 older/higher belts cracking an occasional joke/comment/ or technical advice

No one is talking about taking rolling too seriously.. it's about maximizing your time and getting better and having fun in the meantime, there can be plenty of joking in between. In fact a lot of the hipster type bjj guys would be shocked about how much joking and fun goes on with wrestlers and wrestling coaches. But practice time, even when relaxed is fucking practice time.

Uchi isn't talking about taking training too seriously, he's talking about passive aggressive bitches who don't want to actually put in work, and yes children.. you can put in work to get better understand the fact you know you're not training for mundials.

And final thought.. I've had more issues with spanking and getting tweaked or hurt.. or hulk rolling after saying "let's go light".. from the jokesters than I ever have from the more "serious" guys like Uchi

The issue is that those white belts pay as much of a fee as the brown belt that has been in the gym forever. You cant simply dismiss whitebelts because thats how people start quitting gyms.

If you know someones ego is being bruised when you smash them, maybe it time to lay back a little.

I dont really joke, but sometimes when im caught in the unexpected or when i basically put myself in a bad spot i may start laughing at the situation. When someone gets me good, then i may say nice, but i never drop the original intensity.

I can see how people can joke in order to avoid a bruised ego, i dont care about tapping, ill tap to anyone if im tired of a position or injured and want to avoid the risk, a tap is a tap, if i tap you beat me fair and square.

I have a saying: "ya fuck around, ya won't BE around, yo"

The issue is that those white belts pay as much of a fee as the brown belt that has been in the gym forever. You cant simply dismiss whitebelts because thats how people start quitting gyms.

If you know someones ego is being bruised when you smash them, maybe it time to lay back a little.
Where did I say to dismiss white belts.. where did I say go all out or that you don't need to know, sometimes you have to know when and where to pull back..

You're creating a strawman for no reason. If someone can't handle being smashed or being lower on the totem pole. They need to grow up. There's a difference between having a relaxed atmosphere and/or bringing up lower belts/noobs in a strategic way.. and putting up or being ok with weak bitch passive aggressive behavior. I've trained in too many good gyms where newbs weren't abused but weren't coddled to accept that

Where did I say to dismiss white belts.. where did I say go all out or that you don't need to know, sometimes you have to know when and where to pull back..

You're creating a strawman for no reason. If someone can't handle being smashed or being lower on the totem pole. They need to grow up. There's a difference between having a relaxed atmosphere and/or bringing up lower belts/noobs in a strategic way.. and putting up or being ok with weak bitch passive aggressive behavior. I've trained in too many good gyms where newbs weren't abused but weren't coddled to accept that

Or they just quit.

When you live in a place with extremely limited options to train what you love, you start valuing more every single individual you train with more than you would usually do.

But then again i train mostly with grown ass folk so there are not really ego issues, mid 30s early 40s years grown ass men with jobs.

Or they just quit.

When you live in a place with extremely limited options to train what you love, you start valuing more every single individual you train with more than you would usually do.

But then again i train mostly with grown ass folk so there are not really ego issues, mid 30s early 40s years grown ass men with jobs.
Those people are going to quit by blue belt dude.. it doesn't matter if you're nice or not

Those people are going to quit by blue belt dude.. it doesn't matter if you're nice or not

Those people have years training and they gave generous donations to the gym.

A lot of them are insanely rich individuals.

I don't like it.

I think it's a way for insecure grapplers bring a good fighter down to their level. It's another ego battle that just makes everyone worse.
This seems like projection to me. If something funny happens I will laugh whether I'm dominating or getting my ass kicked. Get over it. I think whining about other peoples training mentality is a way for insecure grapplers to bring others down to their level.

This seems like projection to me. If something funny happens I will laugh whether I'm dominating or getting my ass kicked. Get over it. I think whining about other peoples training mentality is a way for insecure grapplers to bring others down to their level.
No. Not at all.

Those people have years training and they gave generous donations to the gym.

A lot of them are insanely rich individuals.
And once again Rod1 shows how he was never any good or competed/trained at a high level. It's cute

And once again Rod1 shows how he was never any good or competed/trained at a high level. It's cute

Is that how you end all your arguments? who in this board is trying to compete at high level? ill make a guess and say nobody, including you.

But sure, keep smashing the new guys and only roll with the veterans, that will surely make them feel welcome, you dont need to pay the bills anyway. Every person that walks the door, walks in with a different purpose.

BJJ is not wrestling and its not judo, for 99% of the people out there is a hobby, and i get reminded of it everytime that im training with that just one guy that remains after a month of training judo with a bunch of regular joes.

I have seen exactly 4 judo dojos start with 20 people to end up with less than 3 in a month, and i have spent several months of my payment trying to open up dojos, just to be able to have a single guy who to drill with.

But yup, keep lecturing me on how i have never trained hard in my life and how you are the head coach of the russian olympic wresting team. Its the internet after all we can be whoever we wanna be.

No. Not at all.
Neither is it true that when myself or one of the guys of trained with for six years makes a wise cracks while rolling are trying to bring each other down. And I think people who are accusing others of doing so only believe that because it hurts their own ego when their opponent can be light hearted while training.

We are a Soneca Affiliate School. Joking is in our DNA (so are irrational rants and some fits of rage).

What about insulting jokes, like you have a clock choke and you stop and tell him his hair smells great before you finish it?

Wait, you think people who want to focus on training are trying to make other people worse?

Seriously?

Ok. Lol

Is that how you end all your arguments? who in this board is trying to compete at high level? ill make a guess and say nobody, including you.

But sure, keep smashing the new guys and only roll with the veterans, that will surely make them feel welcome, you dont need to pay the bills anyway. Every person that walks the door, walks in with a different purpose.

BJJ is not wrestling and its not judo, for 99% of the people out there is a hobby, and i get reminded of it everytime that im training with that just one guy that remains after a month of training judo with a bunch of regular joes.

I have seen exactly 4 judo dojos start with 20 people to end up with less than 3 in a month, and i have spent several months of my payment trying to open up dojos, just to be able to have a single guy who to drill with.

But yup, keep lecturing me on how i have never trained hard in my life and how you are the head coach of the russian olympic wresting team. Its the internet after all we can be whoever we wanna be.
Never said I was the head coach of the Russian Wrestling team mr strawman, And there is a reason I'm saying that. Because I actually have perspective, and understand the difference between a relaxed training atmosphere for hobbyists where people are still getting better, and just letting it devolve into pig shit just to get paying customers because the person in charge doesn't know how to coach, develop or even the practice room equivalent of classroom management. Or that having someone with actual experience and perspective in charge who will make sure higher/more experienced belts/practitioners aren't being bullied or if it going on, smash those responsible. (i.e. controlling the room and being aware)

Most of the kids I coach are the teenage equivalent of bjj hobbyists, who have NEVER done anything difficult before, come from both the most ghetto and suburban backgrounds, and are actually more likely to quit after being embarrassed or being whooped than the hipster "well paying" customers you're talking about. But I know what hard work is and how to bring people along into getting better and tougher and having fun doing it, even if next to none of them will even think about wrestling in college

And most importantly all of the gyms that I have been in that did a good job keeping people who were hobbyists, old, never competed, never played any other sports, were well run, expected hard work (or the best that person could do or "attitude and effort" if you will), had clear expectations and basic rules, including focusing on rolling not talking joking too much (which is actually a safety concern btw).. and shocking to some of the people on this thread, joked in between goes, had fun, smiled before and after rolls etc.

In fact the gyms that are run this way almost always have a better time keeping and retaining students and developing them. The ones that have the problems you talk about are run by people like you. Wannabe's who've never competed or trained long enough at a high enough level to have perspective (asides from getting smashed at a little training camp with the Cuban National Team) and don't understand how to run a room or manage intensity but hey, you've researthched a lot of things about it. am I right or what

So once again, it comes through you've never actually trained at a high level or been fortunate enough to be around a well run gym that develops people. Or are you going to try to make up the strawman again that I endorsed bullying.

Wait, you think people who want to focus on training are trying to make other people worse?

Seriously?

Ok. Lol
Yeah, that's the frustrating part, the acting like wanting to actually focus on the task at hand (that you are paying money for btw) and not joke during (which is the important word), is being mean or taking it too seriously

Or in RJ Green's case... saying that anyone who actually has a serious/business like approach to the thing they paid for is basically a has been or never was, over compensating and taking it too seriously as a way of coping with a shitty life is a little much honestly.

the most annoying is how people don't want to acknowledge the passive aggressive bitchyness of the issue being discussed

Honestly, even with the parts I personally dislike about sport bjj, I'm glad it exists because at least training hard or having a somewhat businesslike approach during rolling (which again doesn't mean treating every roll like the mundials children) is still ok. The mcdojofication is still happening though :(

Back