Joker recieves 11 Oscar nominations.

Yeah lol

I love how folks get so 'outraged' about their not being enough women or people of color (I hate that term but I'll use it to justify my point) being nominated every freaking year! One year the Oscars are 'so white', the next year they nominate a bunch of POC and women films and all is right in the world.

I love how entitled people are when it comes to entertainment nowadays. You may get nominated and you may not. I remember when people where asking Ice Cube why Straight Outta Compton didn't get any Oscars nominations for acting and Cube was like, "So what? We just made a movie that brought together different generations of people who probably had never listened to NWA. It's like complaining about not having enough icing on your cake."
I thought SOC was the fucking shit. One of my favorite movies that year. But let's face it. There was a shitton of good competition that year and as much as I liked that movie I didn't think it was necessarily a contender for best picture. But he nailed his father spot on so there should have been a best actor nom in there somewhere

"everything else was bad."?

the costumes, set design, cinematrography (such as the lighting), sound effects, lighting were all top notch production value.

It's a visual feast of a film.

I didn't say bad, I said good. When you start to nitpick a movie and break it in into parts and the worst you can say about some aspect of it is that it was good then the movie itself is well above average.

Edit: Did you mean to quote someone else's post?

Yeah lol

I love how folks get so 'outraged' about their not being enough women or people of color (I hate that term but I'll use it to justify my point) being nominated every freaking year! One year the Oscars are 'so white', the next year they nominate a bunch of POC and women films and all is right in the world.

I love how entitled people are when it comes to entertainment nowadays. You may get nominated and you may not. I remember when people where asking Ice Cube why Straight Outta Compton didn't get any Oscars nominations for acting and Cube was like, "So what? We just made a movie that brought together different generations of people who probably had never listened to NWA. It's like complaining about not having enough icing on your cake."

I guess seeing as the black population is 12.3% and because of history and racism they're at a disadvantage to whites, you'd expect maybe 5-10% awards going to black people?

To sum it up, I'm Chainsaw, I'm Dave, and we'll see you, at the movies
DJw1Fr3WAAIFFts.jpg

i mentioned the jumped the shark thing to my wife about a show we watched, and she said the expression doesnt make sense, apparently she's never heard it before.

Does that happen with her a lot? Like if you say “Burger King is the home of the whopper” does she say “I don’t understand what some cow king has to do with lies” - ?

I didn't say bad, I said good. When you start to nitpick a movie and break it in into parts and the worst you can say about some aspect of it is that it was good then the movie itself is well above average.

Edit: Did you mean to quote someone else's post?

It's a good film.

The thing is it's going to get a lot of backlash by people that love a highbrow film, knocking it for not being what it presents itself as.

If it actually was a highbrow film then it wouldn't have the cultural impact the film is going for because it would be too ambiguous.

It's just the things you listed as good are what makes the film middlebrow, namely the direction and script.

It's an accessible film made to become a conversational piece and address current social issues where it's message is rather clear.

*time stamped

-most honest and least partial review I have seen of Joker
-2.5 minute breakdown
-pretty much sums up how I felt about Joker although I did enjoy Joaquin Phoenix performance more than the reviewer in the clip.
-My personal feeling is Joker was horribly average and totally overrated. More proof the the Oscars are a simply a farce and a glorified pageant for a cult of stuck up and conceited liberals who think way too highly of themselves

Yup, walked away from it feeling the same. Solid acting wasted on a boring and predictable storyline that has no real message other than something like “you’re a special little snowflake and no matter how fucked up or disturbed you are none of it is your fault and the world owes you something and if you’re too incompetent to make something of yourself you should rage out at society”.
<DisgustingHHH>

I guess seeing as the black population is 12.3% and because of history and racism they're at a disadvantage to whites, you'd expect maybe 5-10% awards going to black people?

Something like that LOL

Just irritates me seeing my fellow Black folk get in such in uproar online about not getting enough nominations. Same folks screaming about "black excellence" and not giving a damn what people think really want that hug and pat on the head from white Hollywood elites. "Your movies and performances only mean something when a white person gives you an award for them." SMH

Nice. Parasite shits all over these other movies tho Joker included. I hope Phoenix gets best actor he really deserves it. Best acting I have ever seen.

I don't really see much reason to get snooty with something like the best picture Oscar, stuff way more mid brow and unambitious than Joker has been nominated in the past and often won.

I don't think it was that good. But maybe the competition was just that bad?

At any rate,. If it means more deep realistic dives on the comic book genre with an R rating then so be it!

Reading up on this movie, they were saying it was a stand alone movie, with no plans, originally, for a sequel.

Surprised to read that given the movie with showing the Bruce Wayne's parents getting killed scene, joker alive and well, maybe killed his way out of the psych ward.

Seemed like they were setting up for a modern day (Bruce grown up) Batman and Joker sequel.

Back