Joker recieves 11 Oscar nominations.

I don't really see much reason to get snooty with something like the best picture Oscar, stuff way more mid brow and unambitious than Joker has been nominated in the past and often won.
Nearly every Best Picture winner since the 90's has been a big-budget blockbuster with mass appeal. The recent winners that buck the trend are Green Book, Spotlight and The Artist. I've never understood why the Oscars have a reputation for highbrow elitism. These are mostly movies with broad mainstream appeal.
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2011 - "The King's Speech"

• 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
  • 2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
  • 2000 - "American Beauty"
  • 1999 - "Shakespeare in Love"
  • 1998 - "Titanic"
  • 1997 - "The English Patient"
  • 1996 - "Braveheart"
  • 1995 - "Forrest Gump"
  • 1994 - "Schindler’s List"
  • 1993 - "Unforgiven"
  • 1992 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
  • 1991 - "Dances With Wolves"

how in the fuck can jojo rabbit win?

oh yeah, I forgot who votes on this. This movie panders to the academy.

Look at the nomination list. It's the “odd one out”. Awards like to give these films for the whhhhatt? reactions.

Untitled-5.jpg

Hopefully when Hildur Guðnadóttir wins best music they get someone who can pronounce her name properly
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Phoenix is owed an oscar anyway, the fact he didn't get one for Gladiator and Walk the Line is a disgrace.

Black panther got a best film nomination - after that why should any other movie shock you?

Phoenix is owed an oscar anyway, the fact he didn't get one for Gladiator and Walk the Line is a disgrace.
i love DDL, but Joaquin losing to DDL’s Abe Lincoln in 2012 was 100% bullshit. absolutely gormless pick by the academy voters.

he was amazing in The Master as well. Only thing that stopped him there was the juggernaut that is DDL. And even then many felt Joaquin justifiably could have won.

Nearly every Best Picture winner since the 90's has been a big-budget blockbuster with mass appeal. The recent winners that buck the trend are Green Book, Spotlight and The Artist. I've never understood why the Oscars have a reputation for highbrow elitism. These are mostly movies with broad mainstream appeal.
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2011 - "The King's Speech"

• 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
  • 2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
  • 2000 - "American Beauty"
  • 1999 - "Shakespeare in Love"
  • 1998 - "Titanic"
  • 1997 - "The English Patient"
  • 1996 - "Braveheart"
  • 1995 - "Forrest Gump"
  • 1994 - "Schindler’s List"
  • 1993 - "Unforgiven"
  • 1992 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
  • 1991 - "Dances With Wolves"

These two are oh so mid brow, I would say Birdman and 12 years a Slave are the only ones with a case not to be recently and they both don't lack of a bit of mainstream appeal either.

I didn’t think Joker deserved a single one tbh, it was just an ok film.

Last edited:
What's everyone complaining about? You got an artsy superhero flick leading the Oscar nominations. Remember when people were bitching that these flicks weren't ever going to get their due, no matter what? Well, here ya go. So what if it might not have been the greatest movie you've ever seen. There is a hard R-rated comicbook flick leading the pack at the freaking Oscars. Embrace it.

Funny.

When GOT season 8 breaks record for nominations it means the awards are out touch.

Joker does it and it "proves joker is a great film".

Stick by your own logic and say joker sucks.

I'm a fan of GOT season 8 and respect its numerous award nominations and therefore I can actually objectively appreciate it's critical success.

These two are oh so mid brow, I would say Birdman and 12 years a Slave are the only ones with a case not to be recently and they both don't lack of a bit of mainstream appeal either.
Yeah, you're probably right. I hadn't seen Green Book or Spotlight and assumed they were artsier than they were. I guess the Oscars are the most mainstream of all the big film awards. For comparison, see the list of this decade's Palme d'Or winners-
Palme-d-Or-Wikipedia-2020-01-13-18-39-04.png

No doubt joker was a good movie, but I did not love it.

I heard the movie was good but not great. I dunno if I’ll ever watch it though. No one will ever be able to outperform Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Funny.

When GOT season 8 breaks record for nominations it means the awards are out touch.

Joker does it and it "proves joker is a great film".

Stick by your own logic and say joker sucks.

I'm a fan of GOT season 8 and respect its numerous award nominations and therefore I can actually objectively appreciate it's critical success.
Well from what I have heard the Joker was a decent flick. GOT season 8 was not decent. It was total garbage. I’ve never seen so many missed opportunities and so much Deus Ex’ing in any other media that wasn’t doing it as a joke.

They’re also two different organizations, so it’s not hypocritical to say the Oscars is validation and the other is not. Although I don’t know why you would use the Oscars for validation, they make shit choices all the time.

Its funny that people still think this

Even after seeing the film

lmfao
Sure, there are absolutely no parallels there - adult man lives with mom, bathes her, can’t get laid, feels alienated from the rest of society, feels powerless, then shoots people and becomes a hero to others who feel alienated as well. Nope. Nothing to see here.

Yup, walked away from it feeling the same. Solid acting wasted on a boring and predictable storyline that has no real message other than something like “you’re a special little snowflake and no matter how fucked up or disturbed you are none of it is your fault and the world owes you something and if you’re too incompetent to make something of yourself you should rage out at society”.
<DisgustingHHH>
I had the opposite reaction. What I got from the movie was that nobody gives a shit about you or your problems, so do whatever you want whenever you want, because it's all meaningless anyway.

Back