John Danaher

why you starting in the bluie belt program

so u getting bliue belt off the bat?

Which of you actually train at Renzo's? I'm a brand new white belt, and I would sure appreciate any advice you guys may be.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have to give praise to John Danaher as well. He is an AMAZING an instructor and like another poster said, he provides awesome insight into moves.

I was lucky enough to take one of his classes because he subbed for another instructor on Friday. He didn't start off with the usual warmups that we do in class. Instead, he had us do front rolls and back rolls only. After he made us do a bunch of that for warmups (not that we don't usually do those, but that was the only warmup we did that lesson) he went on to explain WHY knowing how to roll was so important.

He proceeded to demonstrate how to apply the roll when you have your opponents back while he is turtling up. Then he also showed how it could be applied when an opponent is grabbing you from behind.

After that, he went on to another basic. He explained how in his opinion, the single most important thing in BJJ is mastery of the elbow escape. What might possibly have been a mundane drill was filled with amazing insight. The class was so good it almost felt like a private lesson. Not that I've taken one before, but I'd imagine that's how enlightened I'd feel afterwards.

We also learned a little about grip fighting and did some drills on that as well.

I could tell the other white belts were equally awed by him. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to take that class with him. It was actually quite fortunate of me, since I took that Friday off and decided to go to the class at noon instead of my usual 6pm class.

Anyways, I just wanted to give Danaher some more props. Awesome guy!

That sounds like a great class! I feel the same way about the elbow escape and am interested in hearing what Mr. Danaher had to say about why it's so important if you don't mind sharing. If you don't feel like going into it, that's no problem. Just curious.

That sounds like a great class! I feel the same way about the elbow escape and am interested in hearing what Mr. Danaher had to say about why it's so important if you don't mind sharing. If you don't feel like going into it, that's no problem. Just curious.

I train under johns first blackbelt and he told us that its so important because you can use it in many positions to get to a better position. Probobly something you already knew, i dont know if john said exactly that but possibly.

Which of you actually train at Renzo's? I'm a brand new white belt, and I would sure appreciate any advice you guys may be.

I usually attend the 6pm class. If you feel like a fish out of water like I did my first day (or first week or two :icon_chee), you'll get over it soon. I was really overwhelmed by how big the class size was and I deemed it a bit impersonal at first, due to the class size. I think that was due to being completely new but I feel comfortable now.

Oh man, if I could remotely convey what Danaher taught us I'd be a genius. I would love to share but really . . . I don't think I'd be able to go over the nuances and the little details that Danaher was able to provide. I would definitely love to attend his classes in the future and possibly take a private from him. I read great things about his private lessons. I don't want to take anything away from the other instructors at the academy, but even though that was my first and only class with Danaher, he is by far my favorite one there.

Cool, thanks guys! Everything I've heard about him has been really good and I've been meaning to make a trip up to take a class and maybe a private if the opportunity presents itself.

so if i come out to new york should I take his morning sub grappling classes?

I had the pleasure of taking a few of john's classes when we went down to NYC. The guy is a BJJ genius and i can't think of too many people smoother then him. If you can, and like others have said, if you're ready, don't miss it.

so if i come out to new york should I take his morning sub grappling classes?

I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately for me, I don't even have the chance because work starts at 8am for me, but I'd kill for the opportunity.

I have officially been converted to a John Danaher student... again.

The guy is unreal, I have been basically teaching myself jiu jitsu for the past 6 months (the gym I was going to didn't have much to teach me). I go to this guy's class and it feels like I am learning jiu jitsu again from day one. He has innovative techniques and variations that make a huge difference in your game.

For instance, I have always wanted to work on my chin strap/5 finger/10 finger guillotine but never could perform the little nuances. After 2 days of John's classes, I was catching a few guys with it. I can't remember the last time i caught someone in a guillotine!!!

By far NZ John is the best BJJ instructor that I have ever come across. If you are serious about jiu jitsu, this is the place to train!!

Sorry, but I felt the need to revive this thread for two reasons.

First, from everything I've heard and read, NZ John is the man.

Secondly, I'm plainning on going to NY in the near future for a private or two from John.

Anyone know what he charges for Privates these days? Also, which classes does he teach at Renzo's?? I know the morning sub class, but what other ones? And finally, will i need a partner for the privates? (My school prefers you bring someone to work with, as it makes demonstrating techniques easier for the instructor, and also gives them the chance to observe you doing the techniques to see what you're doing wrong) Thanks in advance for your help.

John is the man, he teaches Monday through Friday the 1 PM class. on Mondays he its no gi at 1PM but every day other than monday its Gi.

he also teaches the 7:30 AM class on MWF which is awesome. thats sub grappling.

Sorry, but I felt the need to revive this thread for two reasons.

First, from everything I've heard and read, NZ John is the man.

Secondly, I'm plainning on going to NY in the near future for a private or two from John.

Anyone know what he charges for Privates these days? Also, which classes does he teach at Renzo's?? I know the morning sub class, but what other ones? And finally, will i need a partner for the privates? (My school prefers you bring someone to work with, as it makes demonstrating techniques easier for the instructor, and also gives them the chance to observe you doing the techniques to see what you're doing wrong) Thanks in advance for your help.

He teaches Monday-Friday @ 1PM (usually closer to 1:15). 45 minutes of technique, 30 minutes Randori. Monday is no-gi, the rest are gi.

I don't believe you'll need a partner for the privates, since he frequently does one-on-ones. But I agree that it might make it a bit easier to pick up the details and he might prefer it since he hasn't worked with you before. If you aren't bringing a friend, there are usually some bodies around who will volunteer if you ask.

Regarding the cost: I think the most appropriate thing to do would be to call the academy and ask.

He teaches Monday-Friday @ 1PM (usually closer to 1:15). 45 minutes of technique, 30 minutes Randori. Monday is no-gi, the rest are gi.

I don't believe you'll need a partner for the privates, since he frequently does one-on-ones. But I agree that it might make it a bit easier to pick up the details and he might prefer it since he hasn't worked with you before. If you aren't bringing a friend, there are usually some bodies around who will volunteer if you ask.

Regarding the cost: I think the most appropriate thing to do would be to call the academy and ask.

Jack,

Thanks for the help.

hey is there any footage of him competing or teaching anywhere? i have been trying to find anything on him but have had little to no luck. anything would be appreciated.

you probably wont find any. He doesnt compete and all vids of him teaching are off the internet. He is the Sasquatch...

Back