International John Bolton torpedoed the Trump/Kim Hanoi summit

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Bolton wants to take a hardline against North Korea, he wants to approach them in the same manner as how the West dealt with Ghaddafi, and has stated this. In 2018 North Korea already rejected similar demands made by Bolton.

A reason or the main reason for the Kim/Trump summit in Thailand collapsing is only now being revealed. Trump handed Kim a piece of paper telling him to hand over all nuclear material to the US and dismantle chemical and biological weapons. The North Koreans took this as an affront and insulting. This is Bolton's thinking that Trump is following.

The document’s existence was first mentioned by White House national security adviser John Bolton in television interviews he gave after the two-day summit. Bolton did not disclose in those interviews the pivotal U.S. expectation contained in the document that North Korea should transfer its nuclear weapons and fissile material to the United States.

The document appeared to represent Bolton’s long-held and hardline “Libya model” of denuclearization that North Korea has rejected repeatedly. It probably would have been seen by Kim as insulting and provocative, analysts said.

--
Jenny Town, a North Korea expert at the Washington-based Stimson Center think tank, said the content of the U.S. document was not surprising.

“This is what Bolton wanted from the beginning and it clearly wasn’t going to work,” Town said. “If the U.S. was really serious about negotiations they would have learned already that this wasn’t an approach they could take.”

Town added, “It’s already been rejected more than once, and to keep bringing it up ... would be rather insulting. It’s a non-starter and reflects absolutely no learning curve in the process.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...im-to-hand-over-nuclear-weapons-idUSKCN1RA2NR

--

So the master negotiator thinks making the same demands , demands that were rejected multiple times, again and again is good negotiating?

I think it is delusional to demand NK get rid of nuclear weapons. They know how the West deals with countries that can't fight back. So as long as Bolton keeps advising Trump, this whole Trump-Kim summit and deal is just theater for the gullible , because nothing will come out of it.

Can we just throw Bolton in prison already?

No surprise
edit: Ultimately its Donald's fault though

Can we just throw Bolton in prison already?

Two hooks on chains, hung from the ceiling of the cell. Pierce his mustache with the hooks, and hang him 24 hours a day. Call it the Shitty Strappado.

Trump was supposed to drain the swap, instead he invited one of the slimiest creatures to be found into his admin.

I don't have any ill wish towards John Bolton. Let's just say if I ever saw him stuck in a burning car, I'd put out the fire with some gasoline.

Maybe the Trump administration thinks they can just keep saying "Just give them up!" ad nauseaum and it'll work?

He's a reeeeeeeal douchebag

giphy.gif

Just lol @ handing a foreign head of government a piece of paper telling them to hand over their nukes at an official meeting.

Donald probably thought it said "Will you be my boyfriend? [ ] yes [ ] no"

Trump was supposed to drain the swap, instead he invited one of the slimiest creatures to be found into his admin.
Sheldon Adelson forced him to appoint Bolton. Trump couldn't turn away Adelson's money and influence.

giphy.gif

Just lol @ handing a foreign head of government a piece of paper telling them to hand over their nukes at an official meeting.

Donald probably thought it said "Will you be my boyfriend? [ ] yes [ ] no"
It just boggles the mind

Bolton is a relic and needs to go but im not buying the idea that Trump followed through with a Bolton plan after doing everything Bolton would have been against the last 2 years dealing with Kim.

Something doesnt sound right. I would buy into the idea that Bolton somehow sabotaged it though.

It just boggles the mind

The North Korean situation looked like it could be a bright spot for the administration early on, but it's quickly turned into its most embarrassing foreign policy failure. Kim has absolutely played Trump for a fool over and over.

That's what happens when you hire John Bolton. Not a surprise.

He unilaterally withdrew from the Iran deal (just because Obama negotiated it) when literally every other major power in the world is fighting to keep it intact, he eliminated the rules of engagement and ramped up the drone war, and he's blatantly lied about the "withdrawal" from Syria.

The people who still take Trump's anti-war, isolationist shit seriously boggle the mind.

Last edited:
Everything the US has ever done with NK has failed. It was time to try something new.

Sheldon Adelson forced him to appoint Bolton. Trump couldn't turn away Adelson's money and influence.
Adelson, kuschner and Bibi pressure.

Trump shoulda kept bannon. Who would have fought these rats.

Back