Joe Rogan podcast with S&C coach Nick Curson

PivotPunch

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I don't support his ideas nor can I disprove them I have no clue that's why I'm making this thread. I know you guys will mostly disagree with him but just going through specific points he made.

I mean one thing you have to say though is that he had success with Dos Anjos who really improved allthough it's hard to say how much was technical improvement and how much physical and also what his program before was.

But he claims there's a study that downhill sprints can improve your sprinting speed? I doubt he would straight up lie but the details would interest me.

And he is overall anti heavy classic lifts I assume even with few reps? don't really heavy lifts stimulate fast twitch fibers as well?

And he claims there's a study that most power developement in olympic lifters comes from the feet? again anyone have an details?

And I assume that is really true as in it is a fact because why would he lie but it's just to me new. When you lift heavy the muscle gets shorter? And I don#t fully understand why in his type of training it wouldn't happen?

So aside from training the antagonist of the muscle would stretching make a difference?
But then again doiesn't stretching affect the tendons not the msucle itself so even if he does things that work with a stretch reflex how would it counter the muscle getting shorter?

Or anyone who even wants to listen to the whole thing or at least the first half or so where most of the S&C stuff gets discussed and wants to comment on other things as well?

I'd appreciate it. He seems like that Naudi guy from YT work a lot like a physical therapist which isn't a bad thing in itself but what does he do with guys who have adressed imbalances and have nothing to correct because most of his training seems to be based around if that element is gone there's mostly his view of doing everything plyometric and simulating the sport.

[YT]ZJmYFlvKloE[/YT]

I don't support his ideas nor can I disprove them I have no clue that's why I'm making this thread. I know you guys will mostly disagree with him but just going through specific points he made.

I mean one thing you have to say though is that he had success with Dos Anjos who really improved allthough it's hard to say how much was technical improvement and how much physical and also what his program before was.

But he claims there's a study that downhill sprints can improve your sprinting speed? I doubt he would straight up lie but the details would interest me.

And he is overall anti heavy classic lifts I assume even with few reps? don't really heavy lifts stimulate fast twitch fibers as well?

And he claims there's a study that most power developement in olympic lifters comes from the feet? again anyone have an details?

And I assume that is really true as in it is a fact because why would he lie but it's just to me new. When you lift heavy the muscle gets shorter? And I don#t fully understand why in his type of training it wouldn't happen?

So aside from training the antagonist of the muscle would stretching make a difference?
But then again doiesn't stretching affect the tendons not the msucle itself so even if he does things that work with a stretch reflex how would it counter the muscle getting shorter?

Or anyone who even wants to listen to the whole thing or at least the first half or so where most of the S&C stuff gets discussed and wants to comment on other things as well?

I'd appreciate it. He seems like that Naudi guy from YT work a lot like a physical therapist which isn't a bad thing in itself but what does he do with guys who have adressed imbalances and have nothing to correct because most of his training seems to be based around if that element is gone there's mostly his view of doing everything plyometric and simulating the sport.

[YT]ZJmYFlvKloE[/YT]

Downhill sprints can improve speed yes, as they're essentially overspeed reps.

That said, they are really really stressful. You're having to fire off a lot more quickly in order to not fall down, and the impact your body is absorbing is much greater (duh, you're falling farther with each step). I would not advise for a larger athlete AT ALL.

Weeee. Here we go again.

Interesting concepts. Some of his plyometric training videos they watched during the podcast were pretty impressive. That plyometric bench machine seems to make sense in generating quick explosive power, as opposed to power lifting heavy reps.

ADJ sure did look like a beast against Pettis though!

also taking an already elite athlete and making him elite is hardly medal worthy.

Whatever they do seems to work pretty well

I'd take Marinovich Penn over any sub-170lb fighter on the planet.

Downhill sprints can improve speed yes, as they're essentially overspeed reps.

That said, they are really really stressful. You're having to fire off a lot more quickly in order to not fall down, and the impact your body is absorbing is much greater (duh, you're falling farther with each step). I would not advise for a larger athlete AT ALL.

You do not have to be that large of an athlete to have them wreak havoc on your knees.

May listen to it this weekend. I never like when a coach limits their ability by getting married to a training system. All of the best coaches I know learn from everyone and use whatever they can to help their athletes get better.

That being said, given the general lack of well-rounded S&C coaching in some MMA gyms, any consistent program is better than the random conglomeration of weasel spooge that makes up some current "programming."

When he says something controversial and Rogan is like, "ooohhh really, that is fascinating!" he reminds me of George Noory agreeing with a psychic who thinks the aliens came to warn us about GMOs.

also taking an already elite athlete and making him elite is hardly medal worthy.

This is the biggest issue with strength coaches.

You can't boast about an athletes strength when they were already at an elite level when you got them.

I'm much more impressed if you find someone with a bad genetic makeup and then turn them in to a professional athletes.

Most of these top trainers just maintain GPP and then peak them for a fight.

Nick Curson spouts some serious broscience. Calves have more power output than hips in olympic lifts? yeah right, try coming out of the hole using your calves.

I have seen studies showing that prolonged proprioception work slows down your bodies neural system and reduces overall force output.

It's an interesting listen. He doesn't like squats.

When he says something controversial and Rogan is like, "ooohhh really, that is fascinating!" he reminds me of George Noory agreeing with a psychic who thinks the aliens came to warn us about GMOs.

tumblr_m85e8mw00m1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Listening to the podcast, he didnt seem dogmatic and closed minded.

Plyometrics, energy system training and physically theraputic conditioning seem to be where it is at...

My old wrestling coach told me to listen to this podcast. Got through about a third of it before I just couldn't take it anymore lol I don't know why it's getting so much attention, it's just your usual bullshit bro science.

It was interesting but when they were talking about balance balls, 2.5lb ankle weights, not lifting heavy they sort of lost me.

It was interesting but when they were talking about balance balls, 2.5lb ankle weights, not lifting heavy they sort of lost me.

It's tough to understand it until you actually try it. It's developing a different type of athlete than people here are attempting. When you feel the difference it makes in your sport, that is when the lights come on. It really is a completely different style of training.

It's tough to understand it until you actually try it. It's developing a different type of athlete than people here are attempting. When you feel the difference it makes in your sport, that is when the lights come on. It really is a completely different style of training.

How long have they been applying this training method? Total?

Back