• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe Rogan Loves These New MMA Gloves

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Jimmy Smith explains why Joe Rogan is right to love Trevor Wittman's new MMA glove design to stop eye-pokes - because Bellator introduced something similar years ago and he noticed the difference.

They look nice but not sure if they’d inhibit the ability to perform submissions.

By preventing fighters from grabbing their opponents properly.

Then again, if Bellator has been using something similar and fighters haven’t been complaining (especially considering many former UFC fighters go on to fight in that promotion) then maybe it really is something the UFC should look at implementing.

They look nice but not sure if they’d inhibit the ability to perform submissions.

Then again, if Bellator has been using something similar and fighters haven’t been complaining (especially considering many former UFC fighters go on to fight in that promotion) then maybe it really is something the UFC should look at implementing.
Unless there was more padding, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Eyepokes are part of the sport, leave the gloves alone.

Quit with the @ me’s. It’s a joke, ya dummies.

Last edited:
With that natural cure I'd like to see a fleshlight insert for those gloves.

Eyepokes are part of the sport,
Agreed. They should implement these gloves...

_pdp_sq_

These remind me of the gloves my mom used to tie on my hands when I was a child to keep me from touching myself at night.

Though I now require reading glasses I am far from blind. Thank you, mother, for keeping me safe!

These remind me of the gloves my mom used to tie on my hands when I was a child to keep me from touching myself at night.

Though I now require reading glasses I am far from blind. Thank you, mother, for keeping me safe!
Big congrats!

But does it restrict grapplers and wrestlers from grabbing joints & limbs..? But I do agree with a curved glove restricting straightened fingers...

But does it restrict grapplers and wrestlers from grabbing joints & limbs..? But I do agree with a curved glove restricting straightened fingers...
I would doubt it. No indication it has in Bellator. And I've grappled in gloves before and the only problem I've found was the padding. That get in the way. So unless there's more, it should be fine.

Leave the gloves alone and just start actually punishing people for eye pokes

Point deductions for extended fingers and DQ losses for pokes will sort that shit out real quick

Theyre like the old pride gloves. No, they dont inhibit submission ability

Straight glove Jones was goat -

Sherdog after these get implemented ^

Leave the gloves alone and just start actually punishing people for eye pokes

Point deductions for extended fingers and DQ losses for pokes will sort that shit out real quick

Jimmy made a good point. If the gloves were improved to curve the hand, it's much easier for a referee to penalise a fighter for an eye poke because they have to be intentionally extending their fingers. With the current glove, there are situations where the fighter isn't intentionally extending their fingers, but eye pokes happen because of how the glove is designed.

Back