Joe Rogan argues the government should own Twitter to control what speech is allowed

• Thread starter Deleted member 499399
  • Start date
Far right conspiracies then he says vote for Bernie.
Far right conspiracies then he says the government should control our speech.

He's mastered bullshit. He really a complete idiot

The idea is that social media corporations are not bound by the first amendment and can censor whatever you say. But the government cannot. At least in theory.

I’ll get to that in a minute but first,
Im a fan of the podcast. I enjoy the long format discussion nature of the show. Joe is a good conversationalist and I can listen for hours without getting bored. I like that the ads are at the front and not interrupting the conversation. But...
I do not share his politics and his recent emphasis on sharing his political opinions does not add to my enjoyment of the show. I think Joe is best when he is neutral on political matters. I think of him as a mix of Larry King and an Oprah for men.

Anyways I was listening today and Pac-Man says something along the lines “ so you want to socialize Twitter ?” and Joe says yes. This guy wants to give the government the authority to decide which speech is allowable on the internet. He is literally out of his mind! Also some anti vax shit he heard from Alex Jones.

About the 23 minute mark he says he wants to socialize twitter

The government can't "own" Twitter but the government should tax and regulate Twitter and other tech companies like a utility since it's our modern day town square and citizens are shut out of public discourse when they are banned. There would also be First Amendment protections for users. Posts would only be removed and accounts banned when they posted something actually illegal, not for arbitrary reasons as they are now.

The idea is that social media corporations are not bound by the first amendment and can censor whatever you say. But the government cannot. At least in theory.

Just use Bitchute, Daily Motion, etc, etc

Steemit has a lot of potential.

Why do people keep making fucking War Room threads in the Mayberry?!
IIRC this thread was originally made in the cess pool and then moved to the wasteland and then resurrected in the berry. I took it as the mods making a meta commentary on how platforms can affect free speech.

The government can't "own" Twitter but the government should tax and regulate Twitter and other tech companies like a utility since it's our modern day town square and citizens are shut out of public discourse when they are banned. There would also be First Amendment protections for users. Posts would only be removed and accounts banned when they posted something actually illegal, not for arbitrary reasons as they are now.
Twitter is not the only place for public discourse. It’s just the most popular one right now. They have a right to define how discussions will take place on their platform and if people don’t like it they can move to another platform. That’s freedom of choice and allowing the markets to decide what’s best for the consumer. China and Russia are very involved in controlling how social media is viewed by their citizens. I prefer it our way.

Some of you need to look at the date of the video. It is two years old, why the hell was this bumped?

Twitter is not the only place for public discourse. It’s just the most popular one right now. They have a right to define how discussions will take place on their platform and if people don’t like it they can move to another platform. That’s freedom of choice and allowing the markets to decide what’s best for the consumer. China and Russia are very involved in controlling how social media is viewed by their citizens. I prefer it our way.
This is a deep-seated belief I have about how Twitter and related tech companies should be taxed and regulated by the US government if they are based in the US. What I'm advocating for would be a polar opposite of totalitarian countries like China since it would allow for MORE free speech rather than less. It's in line with left-libertarian thinking. I don't agree with the right-libertarian "free market" magic thinking. That type of thinking is what's allowed for the oligarchy we have now.

Doesn’t it seem like the government already controls social media? Instead of using their power to protect people’s constitutional rights the government is using their power to silence opposition.

Joe is talking about something like what @Jackie Blue is referring too.

That would be asking them to give up use of a very powerful tool and because of that I don’t think it will ever happen.

why the hell was this bumped?
I think it’s still a relevant topic but I can see how others might wish there was only a way to silence hungry Joe forever. If we could just burry him we could all go back to putting our fingers in our ears and saying”la la la la” to drown out any sound that might break through while we toiled away on our treadmills and never seem to get to the end until we thankfully do of course.

Honestly, the government wouldn't be half as bad at politicalcensorship as the twitter people. The government is at least bound by the first amendment and can't ban and censor users by claiming "private company, build your own internet".
This is actually a good point, thanks. I’m gonna use this in discussions about this topic hehe

So youd rather corporations decide what does and doesnt constitute free speech?

My bro Rogan is going out bad. Dude will survive but he's too smart to be doing so much dumb shit.

With the government we have free speech laws. So I guess if the government took over Twitter, in theory there would be less censorship of conservatives in particular.

I doubt that will happen though so long as the Democrats remain in power. The Democrats are in favor of cancel culture and limiting free speech. The Democrats already work with and direct twitter and Facebook on what the democrats want to see censored. The Democrats wouldn't be able to do this if government free speech laws were in effect. The argument from the left is that twitter and Facebook are private companies and as a result can censor who ever they want. (Conservatives say it is not legal for the government to direct private companies on who to restrict with their speech. there are court case on this.)

I think it’s still a relevant topic but I can see how others might wish there was only a way to silence hungry Joe forever. If we could just burry him we could all go back to putting our fingers in our ears and saying”la la la la” to drown out any sound that might break through while we toiled away on our treadmills and never seem to get to the end until we thankfully do of course.

What?? I just felt like it should be known that this was before he joined Spotify, knowing the context is important. Calm down.

Joe's issue is his height....

Nah, just kidding.

Joe's issue is he relies on being heavily opinionated on everything being discussed. The reason for this is because he doesn't have the ability to listen and learn, rather debate and offer up alternatives he's conjured up in his head. The proof of this is his constant flip flopping on a topic depending on the guest.

Joe would do better to do more listening to his guests, but he cannot help it.

Back