Joe Rogan: “fights are supposed to be about who does more damage”

PRIDE scoring ftw

Score the entire fight and not on a round-by-round basis. Damage should be the most significant criteria

It basically should be scored like the crowd would at a bar fight. Point fighting should not be rewarded
PRIDE knew what was up. Also penalties for avoiding or stalling. I'm a big fan of the Henderson vs Ninja decision.

Says Woodley won the striking exchanges against wonderbore and that Yoel should have won the fight vs Robert

“It doesn’t make any sense to see a guy have his opponent fucked up and almost out ...Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero fight...there’s two rounds in that fight where Yoel is landing bombs on Whitaker and Yoel is hurt bad, how does he lose that fight? I don’t understand that?”

I seldomly agree , but this time he is right. I think it’s good that Joe Rogan questions everything, but now it’s time for him to question deeper and use his ppv platform live on air to bring more mainstream attention to this corruption (or at the very least, inconsistency).

He needs to Question the officials, judges, referees, Dana, etc. and make this a bigger issue than it is, for the prosperity and integrity of the sport. Or else it’s just a corrupt betting racket pseudo sport with fixed outcomes.

Min 59:13

joe fan here. his podcast helped provoke new thought which then assisted in my career decisions at a time when I was quite lost.

this a pretty sad thread to revisit after the recent JRE where Novitsky went on to spew bullshit Dana wrote for him...
He needs to Question the officials, judges, referees, Dana, etc. and make this a bigger issue than it is, for the prosperity and integrity of the sport. Or else it’s just a corrupt betting racket pseudo sport with fixed outcomes.

So Gus won the first fight against Jones?

Thing is if you grade each round individually you can't really do that. How's a judge for a title fight supposed to know the guy who fought better in round 1 is going to look like a corpse in round 5?

You win 2-3 rounds you win. Honestly if you did what Joe said(or implied?) you'd incentive fighters to seriously injure their opponents and then nobody wins. Also lay and pray doesn't visibily injure so what about that, it would be the end of the viability of that strategy. Joe told Askren that that strategy was so important to the sport and people lose sight of that in a podcast I was watching yesterday.

Generally I've viewed a round as KD/near finish gets first precedent, then takedowns, then stuffed TD's, then who I think fought better standup.

Maybe is wresling lobby too strong in USA and thats why they favor takedowns and all this " dominant position" even without making any damage.

Joes right . It should be damage that values

Says Woodley won the striking exchanges against wonderbore and that Yoel should have won the fight vs Robert

“It doesn’t make any sense to see a guy have his opponent fucked up and almost out ...Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero fight...there’s two rounds in that fight where Yoel is landing bombs on Whitaker and Yoel is hurt bad, how does he lose that fight? I don’t understand that?”

I seldomly agree , but this time he is right. I think it’s good that Joe Rogan questions everything, but now it’s time for him to question deeper and use his ppv platform live on air to bring more mainstream attention to this corruption (or at the very least, inconsistency).

Min 59:13

Kinds strange after 20+ years of being heavily involved in MMA, he doesn't understand how fights are scored.

If he wants to say the scoring system is fucked, he has a point.

And that is how fights are judged just that you can't phrase it like "whoever does the most damage wins". Obviously you also have to score the fight round by round. Doesn't Rogan know this?

If 1 guy wins on points with strikes that do nothing but looks like he got jumped afterwards and the loser doesn't even look like he's been in a fight....fuck that.

Homie that looks like Rocky Dennis lost.
Some guys bruise and cut easily while others don't. Using that as judging who won the fight is pure stupidity.

This is NR 1 bullshit. I have a black eye when I get punched once on the spot. People have different skins. My face looks fucked up after sparring, doesn't mean I took a lot of punches on my face.

Yup do nothing for an entire round. Throw one big punch and you win the round
<{katwhu}>

But a guy can dominate an entire 3 round fight and have 30 seconds of 1 round where he gets busted up and rocked-but otherwise dominates the rest of the 15 minutes-and based on this idea of damage the dominate fighter should lose cos he got caught, hurt but still ultimately recover enough to make the judging call?

That doesn't make any sense.

So Rogan is saying Gus beat Jones the first time?

What about fights where nobody is “damaged”, you idiot? Weed has really fk’s joe’s mind up.

Strange to hear from a BJJ guy. So if a fighter is getting lit up all fight long and sinks in a submission at the end, the other fighter still should have won? Or is it possible there's more to MIXED martial arts than just dealing damage?

OLD THREAD but still, heres how i look at it..

If a fight is quite hard to judge, maybe a draw, i would then just look at them and see whos more fucked up. Bam, theres your loser. ONLY of its a toss up otherwise.

Thats how people would talk in the real world afterall.

Should've been 50-35 for Robert across the board according to Whittaker-fan rules

It's about who lays on top of the other and humps them.

If Yoel makes weight he wins that fight.

Back