Joe Rogan: “fights are supposed to be about who does more damage”

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
Says Woodley won the striking exchanges against wonderbore and that Yoel should have won the fight vs Robert

“It doesn’t make any sense to see a guy have his opponent fucked up and almost out ...Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero fight...there’s two rounds in that fight where Yoel is landing bombs on Whitaker and Yoel is hurt bad, how does he lose that fight? I don’t understand that?”

I seldomly agree , but this time he is right. I think it’s good that Joe Rogan questions everything, but now it’s time for him to question deeper and use his ppv platform live on air to bring more mainstream attention to this corruption (or at the very least, inconsistency).

He needs to Question the officials, judges, referees, Dana, etc. and make this a bigger issue than it is, for the prosperity and integrity of the sport. Or else it’s just a corrupt betting racket pseudo sport with fixed outcomes.

Min 59:13

Last edited:
That’s how I judge them, except I look at each round as a different fight. Then total it.

It’s just not true Joe. In saying so, you’d have to concede the fact that GSP lost a number of fights. JJ lost to Karolina, Aldo lost to Mendes, etc. which I know he wouldn’t say

Last edited:
They didn’t make damage a requirement in the rule to get sanctioned. Can’t change the rules after the fight.

Except Whittaker has a broken fist and Romero has a broken face.

I think it boils down to what your definition better fighter. If two equally skilled guys are exchanging but one has more power, then he will do more damage. The other guy might have better technique so lands more, thus getting more points in the judges eyes. So what do we say makes a better fighter - someone who is naturally gifted and able to outwork or out strength their opponent, or someone who despite their instantaneous athletic flaws is able to out wit and land more. I suppose the current rule set and rounds accommodate the latter, and it will only stay that way as mma tries to be seen as a sport.

Rogan himself said just before the end of the fight Yoel needs to finish to win. Fighters should try to get on JRE. He will automatically have bias towards you for making him money.

If 1 guy wins on points with strikes that do nothing but looks like he got jumped afterwards and the loser doesn't even look like he's been in a fight....fuck that.

Homie that looks like Rocky Dennis lost.

Unfortunately the current judging criteria isn't going to change anytime soon.

PRIDE scoring ftw

Score the entire fight and not on a round-by-round basis. Damage should be the most significant criteria

It basically should be scored like the crowd would at a bar fight. Point fighting should not be rewarded
/thread

Whittaker won that shit. Joe needs to STFU and bow to his sensei Robert Whittaker.

the yoel - whittaker case is a clear example

the problem is that most fights are not that clear and 'damage' is not a quantifiable criterion.
some guys, the diaz bros for instance, have tonnes of scar tissue and wear 'damage' worse than others - what does that mean for them?
plus it seems that people implicitly favor head strikes over strikes to other parts of the body - is one clean punch to the head worth more 'damage' than a clean kick to the leg?

this isn't a videogame with lifebars, it's not that easy to measure 'damage'

Because this is a simpletons logic... There is a reason the fights are scored round by round... you can do tons of damage in round 1, and then lose the next 4 by an inch and lose the fight... By Joes logic the guy would of won the fight by simply winning 1 round... which makes just as little sense... but then again if you smoke a ton of pot its probably hard to concentrate for extended periods of time and analyze who won beyond a simple damage factor.

Technically speaking whoever is winning the last 30 seconds of the fight wins the the fight, if it was an actual.fight, there also shoukdnt be rounds, or stand ups from the bottom...

There’s no way of twisting the two clear times Robert almost got removed of his consciousness and sent ass first to the ground. When you get that close to finishing a fight (not talking sub attempts, just striking), then it should count for something.

I think it boils down to what your definition better fighter. If two equally skilled guys are exchanging but one has more power, then he will do more damage. The other guy might have better technique so lands more, thus getting more points in the judges eyes. So what do we say makes a better fighter - someone who is naturally gifted and able to outwork or out strength their opponent, or someone who despite their instantaneous athletic flaws is able to out wit and land more. I suppose the current rule set and rounds accommodate the latter, and it will only stay that way as mma tries to be seen as a sport.

people don't practice technique to look good. They practice technique to be better at doing damage.

Last edited:
Rogan is correct. Romero and Hendricks were robbed.

Back