Joe Lauzon's Cut Man

Bovlowski

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has addressed this, or if anyone besides a few people who were in the room with me shared this sentiment but...

What the hell? I know it was a bad cut, but I was still a bit upset with what I thought was poor work by his cut man. He put adrenaline and coagulates on it, because at the beginning of each round he wasn't bleeding from it as he had been at the end of the previous round, but the vaseline was non-existent. After he removed the q-tips I saw him take one little dab of vaseline and jam his thumb into Lauzon's cut pulling it open even further. What little vaseline he did use was left on Lauzon's forehead, and as soon as Miller touched him he was bleeding profusely again.

Again I know it was a bad cut, and what do I know? Maybe the nature of the cut was such that vaseline would be ineffective, though I highly doubt it. In the moment I thought this was very inept work by the Joe's cut man. I don't take anything away from Jim Miller, I'm not saying "Omg Joe would've won if only..." I'm just wondering if anybody else was annoyed by what seemed to be inadequate work by his cut man?

if you don't know the nature of cuts and what can be done, why do you jump to the conclusion that his cut man did inadequate work?

Stitch was his cut man. You can't question the best in the business.

What a pointless thread, did you make this just to shit on the cut man?

UFC cutmen have always done solid work. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'll trust he did the very best he could, even if you and your friends disagree.

Stitch was his cut man. You can't question the best in the business.

First off, Stitch wasn't his cut man.

Second, I completely agree with TS. The cut man did a horrible job plugging up that cut. He did a good job applying pressure and temporarily stopping the bleeding but when he heard the signal that the round was starting he rushed it and completely missed the cut with the dab of vaseline and it ended up on Lauzon's forehead.

Furthermore, I've seen some big cuts being treated by putting some type of gauze in there first and then plugging it with vaseline.

Vaseline doesn't hold cuts together or stop them from bleeding.

Pressure, coagulant, etc. do but the vasiline is only a temporary plug that's usually gone after the first blow to the cut, which itself can cause the faucet to open up again.

btw- thread could use a pic.

He had a cut on his head, that was weird... I wonder if his head wasn't shaved he could've avoided that cut.

Was Stitch the cut man? I remember what the TS is talking about -- in fact, I yelled at the TV about it. It whoever it was (I didn't notice until the following happened, and by then, whoever it was was already moving off screen) but after the first round, the cut man held compression until the last possible moment, and then seemed to apply the Vaseline in a rush -- it almost entirely missed the cut. As the TS said, most of it was in a glob on his forehead.

The cut man did botch the vaseline part. That being said, Lauzon would have needed Jesus as a cut man to stop that sucker from bleeding,

I could be confusing it with Boetsch's gash, but I thought he did Lauzon as well.

Was Stitch the cut man? I remember what the TS is talking about -- in fact, I yelled at the TV about it. It whoever it was (I didn't notice until the following happened, and by then, whoever it was was already moving off screen) but after the first round, the cut man held compression until the last possible moment, and then seemed to apply the Vaseline in a rush -- it almost entirely missed the cut. As the TS said, most of it was in a glob on his forehead.

It doesn't matter what the cut man does. With any bleeding cut as soon as that spot is hit again it will start bleeding again. Even if you were to stitch the fucking thing up it will bleed again. It is unavoidable. The best they can hope for is to slow the bleeding.

if you don't know the nature of cuts and what can be done, why do you jump to the conclusion that his cut man did inadequate work?

Nothing better than when the first reply just absolutely nails it.

It doesn't matter what the cut man does. With any bleeding cut as soon as that spot is hit again it will start bleeding again. Even if you were to stitch the fucking thing up it will bleed again. It is unavoidable. The best they can hope for is to slow the bleeding.

So, are you saying that the cut man, upon looking at it, should have just said, "aw, fuck it" and walked away?

The point is, whoever it was, he did a crappy job applying the Vaseline. That's all.

didn't that cut require 40 stitches? there is no way to actually stop a cut like that from bursting back open upon the first strike with 1 minute of time

First off, Stitch wasn't his cut man.

Second, I completely agree with TS. The cut man did a horrible job plugging up that cut. He did a good job applying pressure and temporarily stopping the bleeding but when he heard the signal that the round was starting he rushed it and completely missed the cut with the dab of vaseline and it ended up on Lauzon's forehead.

Furthermore, I've seen some big cuts being treated by putting some type of gauze in there first and then plugging it with vaseline.

Thank you, someone was paying attention.

I said in the OP I don't know that much about cuts but that doesn't prevent me from doing some basic comparison between the work I saw done on Lauzon's cut and the work I've seen done on similar cuts.

It was shitty work. I was wondering if I was just plain wrong in my suspicions or if my concerns had merit. I still think they do, however this is Sherdog and if I'm not a cut man how dare I question the work of a cut man, right?

Yeah you're right, on this forum we don't talk about anything we don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of already.

I don't know anything about heart surgery. But if I walked into an O.R. to observe a heart surgery and watched the surgeon open up the patient's ankle, it'd make me question his competence.

The cut man MISSED THE CUT with the Vaseline. I'm no expert in cut management, but I'm going to say that's probably not in the manual.

Last edited:
didn't that cut require 40 stitches? there is no way to actually stop a cut like that from bursting back open upon the first strike with 1 minute of time

Again, that's really not the point.

Back